Screaming Lord Sutch on Alice Cooper

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Screaming Lord Sutch on Alice Cooper

Post by del » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:19 pm

Enjoying a bit of research here and found a bit more which would put Screaming Lord Sutch much closer to Alice than you’d have thought.

A quote from Nick Simper of Deep Purple about being at the Playboy After Dark TV show in Oct 1968. “It was here that Ritchie and I were reunited with our old boss, Screaming Lord Sutch. Dave had relocated to America some months before, shipping over his Union Jack-painted vintage Rolls-Royce car, complete with Marshall amplifier adverts and a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in the rear window. For a while he had fooled the USA that he really was the 5th Earl of Harrow (a title he had invented at the start of his career) becoming a regular on TV chat shows, and milking several gigs for himself along the way. Somehow Dave had got wind that we were there and joined the proceedings until a sharp-eyed producer spotted him and promptly had him ejected.”

A look at the Thee Experience club in Sunset Strip gave some interesting info.

March 27-29, 1969: Alice Cooper/Slim Harpo/Rockin Foo
Alice Cooper (a band at the time, rather than just lead singer Vincent Furnier) had been signed to Frank Zappa's Bizarre label (a Warners subsidiary), but they would not release their debut album until August.

May 8-10, 1969: Screaming Lord Sutch/Mighty Fat/Fields
Lord Sutch, an English rock and roller known as Screaming Lord Sutch, was a legendary English figure, sort of a pre-Beatles Alice Cooper. Despite Sutch's lack of vocal talent, he was a charismatic and entertaining character.

June 16-17, 1969: Lord Sutch
Apparently Jimi Hendrix showed up to jam one night.

And a comment from someone who visited the club - “ Screaming Lord Sutch was a real British Lord and would drive around L.A. in a Rolls Royce with a Union Jack painted on top. If you can find any of his albums you might be shocked at the talent he got to play with him. He had a lot of money and would haunt the recording studios. When a famous musician was cutting an album, he'd make his way in to see them and offer a lot of money to cut a quick track. He was really more of a Screaming Jay Hawkins than an Alice Cooper. A friend of mine worked as his guitarist until Sutch chased him around the stage with a butcher knife.”

So, a lot more profile in LA than we thought.

I’d also forgotten that Sutch was on the bill at the Toronto Rock n’ Roll revival concert as well.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:29 am

del wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:19 pm
Enjoying a bit of research here and found a bit more which would put Screaming Lord Sutch much closer to Alice than you’d have thought.

A quote from Nick Simper of Deep Purple about being at the Playboy After Dark TV show in Oct 1968. “It was here that Ritchie and I were reunited with our old boss, Screaming Lord Sutch. Dave had relocated to America some months before, shipping over his Union Jack-painted vintage Rolls-Royce car, complete with Marshall amplifier adverts and a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in the rear window. For a while he had fooled the USA that he really was the 5th Earl of Harrow (a title he had invented at the start of his career) becoming a regular on TV chat shows, and milking several gigs for himself along the way. Somehow Dave had got wind that we were there and joined the proceedings until a sharp-eyed producer spotted him and promptly had him ejected.”

A look at the Thee Experience club in Sunset Strip gave some interesting info.

March 27-29, 1969: Alice Cooper/Slim Harpo/Rockin Foo
Alice Cooper (a band at the time, rather than just lead singer Vincent Furnier) had been signed to Frank Zappa's Bizarre label (a Warners subsidiary), but they would not release their debut album until August.

May 8-10, 1969: Screaming Lord Sutch/Mighty Fat/Fields
Lord Sutch, an English rock and roller known as Screaming Lord Sutch, was a legendary English figure, sort of a pre-Beatles Alice Cooper. Despite Sutch's lack of vocal talent, he was a charismatic and entertaining character.

June 16-17, 1969: Lord Sutch
Apparently Jimi Hendrix showed up to jam one night.

And a comment from someone who visited the club - “ Screaming Lord Sutch was a real British Lord and would drive around L.A. in a Rolls Royce with a Union Jack painted on top. If you can find any of his albums you might be shocked at the talent he got to play with him. He had a lot of money and would haunt the recording studios. When a famous musician was cutting an album, he'd make his way in to see them and offer a lot of money to cut a quick track. He was really more of a Screaming Jay Hawkins than an Alice Cooper. A friend of mine worked as his guitarist until Sutch chased him around the stage with a butcher knife.” J

So, a lot more profile in LA than we thought.

I’d also forgotten that Sutch was on the bill at the Toronto Rock n’ Roll revival concert as well.
Whew. I’m tired just reading about that guy.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:49 am

Just listened to him "singing" a song about Jack the ripper...never will I bother again.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:57 pm

After jamming with Sutch, Jimi told Alice all about him as they dined on ham sandwiches with Mama Cass.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:28 pm

I thank you for your valuable contribution.