How many times have you seen an Alice concert?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Re: How many times have you seen an Alice concert?

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:00 pm

I actually used to go to concerts somewhat regularly. This was back in the 90s. I don't live too far from Nashville, but for a long time the main venue for concerts was an outdoor place called Starwood. It really sucked. Bad sound and bad crowds. I saw a lot of bands that would normally have been great live put on less than stellar performances. Iron Maiden was terrible. AC/DC was just ok. But occasionally bands were able to overcome the suckitude. Ted Nugent was good. The Scorpions were great, but they had so much trouble selling tickets that they were giving them away at 2 dollars a pop.

By the time Starwood closed most of the bands that I liked were either over the hill, or couldn't draw enough of a crowd to be worth coming to town.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:21 pm

Somewhere around 35. But don't hold me to it. I had more than a few blackout years myself.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:41 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:00 pm
I actually used to go to concerts somewhat regularly. This was back in the 90s. I don't live too far from Nashville, but for a long time the main venue for concerts was an outdoor place called Starwood. It really sucked. Bad sound and bad crowds. I saw a lot of bands that would normally have been great live put on less than stellar performances. Iron Maiden was terrible. AC/DC was just ok. But occasionally bands were able to overcome the suckitude. Ted Nugent was good. The Scorpions were great, but they had so much trouble selling tickets that they were giving them away at 2 dollars a pop.

By the time Starwood closed most of the bands that I liked were either over the hill, or couldn't draw enough of a crowd to be worth coming to town.
I saw Stevie Nicks at Starwood in 2001, she was good, but what I remember of the venue was the sucky access to get there. That long drive on a little road. So, they shut that down?

Now that I'm thinking of it, I did see a lot of good shows when I lived in Nashville. But most were mid-sized venues.... The Smithereens at a place whose name escapes me, they expanded the road and tore down the place, so it's another that's gone. But they were fantastic.

I wish I was still living there when Alice reunited with the original band for a set in 2017. If they ever do that again, anywhere near where I'm living now, that would get me back, I'd see that.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:05 am

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:41 pm
I saw Stevie Nicks at Starwood in 2001, she was good, but what I remember of the venue was the sucky access to get there. That long drive on a little road. So, they shut that down?
The land was sold to a developer in early 2007---Rush announced their tour would open in Nashville, and like a week later, they cancelled it because Starwood was closed---and then nothing was ever done with it. It was partially demolished and has sat empty and decaying ever since.

Here are photos of the ruins taken in 2015.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/music/sl ... 64328.html

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:56 am

SickThings wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:05 am
Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:41 pm
The land was sold to a developer in early 2007---Rush announced their tour would open in Nashville, and like a week later, they cancelled it because Starwood was closed---and then nothing was ever done with it. It was partially demolished and has sat empty and decaying ever since.

Here are photos of the ruins taken in 2015.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/music/sl ... 64328.html
Thanks for sharing that - that's rather sad, seeing it in that state, but interesting too. (man leaves its stuff behind, nature continues on)

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:32 am

64 times, the first being Pittsburgh 2000 on the Brutal Planet tour. Notable shows were the Golden God awards with the original band in 2011, the Whisky a Go-Go 2011, and the 2 Nashville 2017 original band reunion shows (the 2nd night being on my birthday). Also saw the 2 debut performances from the Hollywood Vampires at the Roxy.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:38 am

Reading all this numbers...
Of course this is a very select public here ( :alice: ),but it made me wonder : how many people would actually see Alice for the first time when attending a show ? After all these years I guess the mayority of the public saw Alice more than once, which could mean that the idea of "having to do the hits" may have been true for a long time, but possibly not so relevant anymore... So ,why not bring on the new material in the show : guess no one would buy Road or Paranormal because NMMG or 18 sound that good..
you really wouldn't understand..

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:04 am

Reading all this numbers...
Of course this is a very select public here ( :alice: ),but it made me wonder : how many people would actually see Alice for the first time when attending a show ? After all these years I guess the majority of the public saw Alice more than once, which could mean that the idea of "having to do the hits" may have been true for a long time, but possibly not so relevant anymore... So ,why not bring on the new material in the show : guess no one would buy Road or Paranormal because NMMG or 18 sound that good..
I think if Alice dropped down to mid sized venues, Brixton academy type size 3-4k, he would pack them in comfortably and would be less reliant on random people who Don't know Alice other than poison or schools out. Sadly Alice doesn't seem interested in dropping down to smaller venues - presumably because of money. so sadly we are stuck with large venues 3/4 full (if he is lucky) and horrible crowds full of people who Don't care with just terrible atmospheres.

I remember Alice at the roundhouse (just a superb venue where every band I have seen there, absolutely smashes it) it was for Halloween and while the setlist was not good and just a rehash of the prior tour setlist - the crowd and atmosphere was crazy. it absolutely popped!

Then cut to 2022 and a beast of a setlist - possibly the best ever - and it is conversely his worst crowd ever. no one seemed to care and where i was in the seats (SEATS!?!?!?) me and my mate were headbanging furiously (because we are children :grin: )and the people around us hated us and moved away. sigh.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:10 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:04 am
I think if Alice dropped down to mid sized venues, Brixton academy type size 3-4k, he would pack them in comfortably and would be less reliant on random people who Don't know Alice other than poison or schools out. Sadly Alice doesn't seem interested in dropping down to smaller venues - presumably because of money. so sadly we are stuck with large venues 3/4 full (if he is lucky) and horrible crowds full of people who Don't care with just terrible atmospheres.
"Alice" doesn't really have any say in the venues he plays.
It's all down to the promoters and what venues are offered. And the promoters have deals with all these crappy arenas which makes them more cost effective/profitable even if they don`t sell the full capacity of the venue.
Sure, he could refuse to play the arenas, but then there would simply be no tour.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:42 pm

It's all down to the promoters and what venues are offered. And the promoters have deals with all these crappy arenas which makes them more cost effective/profitable even if they don`t sell the full capacity of the venue.
Sure, he could refuse to play the arenas, but then there would simply be no tour.
Depressing really isn't it. Wembley. yay.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:44 am

Eight times for Me-

Patriot Center-Fairfax VA. 11/86
Baltimore Civic Center-Baltimore MD 12/87
Nissan Pavillion-Bristow VA- 8/96
Merriweather Post Pavilion-Columbia MD- 10/01
Merriweather Post Pavilion-Columbia MD- 10/02
Meadowbrook-Gilford NH. 6/13
Bank of New Hampshire Pavillion (name change from Meadowbrook)-Gilford NH 8/19
Bank of New Hampshire Pavillion-Gilford NH. 9/21
"I need everything the world owes me..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:06 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:10 am
Saint&Sinner wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:04 am

This makes it sound like he just waits for the phone to ring and he is told you must go here and there on these dates. I remember John Lydon saying he just called up some of the venues and they said great and he booked some shows.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:14 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:06 pm
Si wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:10 am

This makes it sound like he just waits for the phone to ring and he is told you must go here and there on these dates.
Essentially yes, although obviously he isn't ordered to do anything.
He knows dates are being booked and is told where and when when the tour is set up. I'm sure if there's a deal like the Crue/Leppard or RZ tours he's asked if he wants to do it or not, but basically he knows what's coming up as things are planned up to a year or more ahead of time. Exactly where the shows are really doesn't matter to him that much.

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:06 pm
I remember John Lydon saying he just called up some of the venues and they said great and he booked some shows.
Well good for him. He's obviously his own booking agent. Alice isn't. He has management to deal with these things for him.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:32 am

A couple of things worth mentioning here.

Surely a key factor here is age? Audiences, particularly comparing UK v Europe, are old. Yes, gigs we all remember as great crowds were in smaller venues but we were also 10 -20 years younger, or more. I hate seated gigs but keep meeting fans who simply can’t stand for more than 20 mins.

I was at the Roundhouse gigs. I simply can’t imagine the same audience being as wired as they were those nights. I know the friend I was with then simply couldn’t stand for more than a few minutes now.

Drink - always loosens folk up before a gig. Before the Roundhouse gigs I was in the pubs around Camden. Full of folk in costumes having a few drinks to limber up for the gig and there were a good few who partied in the venue. It’s simply not the same nowadays. A lubricated crowd is always louder and more boisterous.

We always seem to forget that time takes its toll.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:48 am

del wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:32 am
A couple of things worth mentioning here.

Surely a key factor here is age? Audiences, particularly comparing UK v Europe, are old. Yes, gigs we all remember as great crowds were in smaller venues but we were also 10 -20 years younger, or more. I hate seated gigs but keep meeting fans who simply can’t stand for more than 20 mins.
That is all too true. We're all older, and personally standing now is almost impossible for me.
However I very much doubt if that factor is being taken into account by the promoters when booking shows and deciding on venues. They are simply maximizing their potential profits. They prefer to use seated arena venues as it's easier to sell the VIP packages and hike up prices near the stage. They can't do that as easily with general admission at the front.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:28 pm

Fair point Si. I’ll buy that.

Prometheus77
Trash
Trash

Post by Prometheus77 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:40 am

Si wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:48 am
They prefer to use seated arena venues as it's easier to sell the VIP packages and hike up prices near the stage. They can't do that as easily with general admission at the front.
Well, for that they have no Front of stage/Golden Circle and Early Entry. :angry: But yeah, it's easier to overcharge seats. Though any seat that is not in the first 2 row, really sucks. As chances to be stuck somewhere and not see that much, are pretty big.

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:02 pm
Prometheus77 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:54 pm

Why never again?
Honestly, I just don't get out much. I had free tickets to his most recent Nashville show and still didn't go. I think I only went to a couple of concerts after that one. I saw Robin Trower at a little club, and Alice In Chains at the Ryman auditorium. Both of those shows were around the same time period. I'm a very boring dude, I'm afraid.
Okay. Fair enough. But free tickets and not going? That's a bit of a shame. If even that won't get you out.

killernyd
Trash
Trash

Post by killernyd » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:35 pm

Tonight (10/17/23) will mark 21 for me. Some people are saying that “Gimmie” has been added back to the setlist can anybody confirm that?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:38 pm

Not to the best of my knowledge and seems unlikely. You can confirm or deny tomorrow :)

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:54 pm

Ironically, 18.
That includes Hollywood Vampires.