Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Re: "Road" - Reviews

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:13 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:59 pm

The current band are hired hands (as all his bands are) paid to play live. I think Alice felt he owed it to them and along with the demand from fans
decided to do the album with them. The results are a big steamer!
So, on one hand they are just hired hands, and on the other it's all their fault that the album blows? Since all you did was repeat the same thing you said the first time, I'll do the same. How do you explain all the shitty tracks on W2MN and Detroit Stories? How do you you explain Nita's album being so much better than Alice's? I mean "better" is subjective, but I mean come on, it is a better album. Is she a better writer than Dick Wagner? Heck, no. But she's better than what Alice just churned out on Road. The music isn't what sinks Road - it's the goofy lyrics.

Anyways...here's a random gif from Monster Dog:

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:58 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:13 pm
mr.barlow wrote:

The current band are hired hands (as all his bands are) paid to play live. I think Alice felt he owed it to them and along with the demand from fans
So, on one hand they are just hired hands, and on the other it's all their fault that the album blows? Since all you did was repeat the same thing you said the first time, I'll do the same. How do you explain all the shitty tracks on W2MN and Detroit Stories? How do you you explain Nita's album being so much better than Alice's? I mean "better" is subjective, but I mean come on, it is a better album. Is she a better writer than Dick Wagner? Heck, no. But she's better than what Alice just churned out on Road. The music isn't what sinks Road - it's the goofy lyrics.

Yes and yes.

Alice has had many shitty tracks over the years but most of those tracks were on otherwise decent albums. Not this time.

If Nita is selling and doing so well then why did she come back?? You'd think someone who's career and album is doing so well would step out on her own.

Just go back and look at who Alice has written with over the years. Wagner being a genius and hard to top. But there was Duane Hitchings, Davey Johnstone, Desmond Child, Bernie Taupin, etc.

She doesn't even come close to any of these people on a writing level. She and Kane are similar but before Kane became Kane he played various styles and was not just a shredder. Kane has some pop sensibilities in him...thus we got Constrictor.

Love it or hate it the album began Alice's second act and it's due to Kane's writing. 1980s pop metal cheese that worked. Tge lyrics dumbed down on purpose. (This time around i think it was lack of effort...or he just didn't care). Then came RYFAY which was a BAND effort and not one shit song on it. If Alice has a real "road" album that one is it. This one is surely not...blame Alice...blame ezrin...blame the band. A collaboration of mediocrity at its finest.

I hope she does as the Kane could come back again...and hopefully the majority of the 1986 band too.

I'd love to have Wagner have another go but he has traded in his guitar for a harp.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:13 pm
mr.barlow wrote:

Yes and yes.

Alice has had many shitty tracks over the years but most of those tracks were on otherwise decent albums. Not this time.

If Nita is selling and doing so well then why did she come back?? You'd think someone who's career and album is doing so well would step out on her own.

Just go back and look at who Alice has written with over the years. Wagner being a genius and hard to top. But there was Duane Hitchings, Davey Johnstone, Desmond Child, Bernie Taupin, etc.

She doesn't even come close to any of these people on a writing level. She and Kane are similar but before Kane became Kane he played various styles and was not just a shredder. Kane has some pop sensibilities in him...thus we got Constrictor.

Love it or hate it the album began Alice's second act and it's due to Kane's writing. 1980s pop metal cheese that worked. Tge lyrics dumbed down on purpose. (This time around i think it was lack of effort...or he just didn't care). Then came RYFAY which was a BAND effort and not one shit song on it. If Alice has a real "road" album that one is it. This one is surely not...blame Alice...blame ezrin...blame the band. A collaboration of mediocrity at its finest.

I hope she does eventually leave as then Kane could come back again...and hopefully the majority of the 1986 band too.

I'd love to have Wagner have another go but he has traded in his guitar for a harp.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:27 pm

One thing that I think Alice is missing from his oeuvre is a classic driving song. Something of the along the lines of I Can't Drive 55 or Radar Love. I guess Under My Wheels and Go Man Go are about as close as he ever got. Great songs, but they don't make me want to floor it going down the highway. It would have been nice if Road had a couple of songs like that.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:52 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:58 pm

She never left the band. She took time out to try something different and then returned once that tour was done. No big deal. If you read the announcements that would have been clear. Sadly most people didn't.
As to why she hasn't left maybe she enjoys playing with Alice and the band? And it's not like she does nothing else, she always busy doing something. I'm sure at some point she will leave AC. But at the time she thinks is the right one.
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:58 pm

She and Kane are similar but before Kane became Kane he played various styles and was not just a shredder. Kane has some pop sensibilities in him...thus we got Constrictor.
You have no clue about Nita's background do you? The diversity of material she has played on over the years? Just because she enjoys playing heavy metal shred guitar does not mean that's is all she can do... far from it in fact.

Just a example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6jL6AE93i8

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:19 pm

Oh my! Reminds me of ELP with a metal guitarist.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:28 pm

Also. I'm sure the steady paycheck keeps her around too.

As we all know Alice's press releases and reality sometimes clash.

I'm just wondering if she got a pay increase upon her return?

Btw didn't Ezrin tell her she's not a rock guitarist? Explains why she wasn't used on the last two albums. To her credit she got herself up to speed.

With that being said she is great at what she does and fans love her but she doesn't even compare to past Alice guitarists.

He's had many incredible talents. Dick Wagner was the best musician he's ever played with along with Steve Hunter being equally as good. I give the edge to Wagner as he was a hell of a writer.

I have a good feeling this is the final touring band we'll ever see as at this point there is no use changing it. At Alice approaching 76 years of age what's the point. You may see a member come and go but the core will be there until the end. I just hope Kane gets one more shot.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:20 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:16 pm
cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:22 pm

Nita Strauss in particular has been a game changer in the band. Besides her solo career (and a couple of high charting singles on the new album), her work with the WWE, the LA Rams, etc has brought Alice a lot of publicity because she gets a lot of coverage and is asked about Alice a lot or is shown in media as Alice Cooper's guitarist. Next to Alice, she gets the most cheers from fans.

Nita's "The Wolf You Feed" video has ten million views on Youtube in the last year. Alice's "I'm Alice" has 550k in the last 3 months. Nita's video for "Digital Bullets" has 400k in two months. It's just laughable to think that she and the rest of the band are to blame for the poor results of the last album. Heck, Alice might have been better off letting her write the entire album for him.

p.s. I still hate the growling vocals on The Wolf You Feed.

If she, in particular, is so amazing then why would Alice and Bob not use what she/they bring to the table? It makes no sense. It's laughable.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:24 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:20 pm
If she, in particular, is so amazing then why would Alice and Bob not use what she/they bring to the table? It makes no sense. It's laughable.
Congratulations. You've finally caught up to what some of have been saying for years! It IS madness.

Same goes for Ryan and Chuck, and to a degree Glen and Tommy although both HAVE been involved in past albums, Tommy heavily involved.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:35 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:24 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:20 pm
Congratulations. You've finally caught up to what some of have been saying for years! It IS madness.

Same goes for Ryan and Chuck, and to a degree Glen and Tommy although both HAVE been involved in past albums, Tommy heavily involved.

I believe you referred to the music they submitted as being " gutted " as is Ezrin and Alice's wont, but is there any evidence of this? It looks to me like they had carte blanche within a Road Theme and the wheels fell off.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:42 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:28 pm
Also. I'm sure the steady paycheck keeps her around too.

As we all know Alice's press releases and reality sometimes clash.

I'm just wondering if she got a pay increase upon her return?

Btw didn't Ezrin tell her she's not a rock guitarist? Explains why she wasn't used on the last two albums. To her credit she got herself up to speed.

With that being said she is great at what she does and fans love her but she doesn't even compare to past Alice guitarists.

He's had many incredible talents. Dick Wagner was the best musician he's ever played with along with Steve Hunter being equally as good. I give the edge to Wagner as he was a hell of a writer.

I have a good feeling this is the final touring band we'll ever see as at this point there is no use changing it. At Alice approaching 76 years of age what's the point. You may see a member come and go but the core will be there until the end. I just hope Kane gets one more shot.

A little bird told me that she got a nice little nest egg for coming back after she flew the Coop and that ruffled a few feathers in the hen house. I'm guessing Demi Lovato pays pretty well.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:34 am

i will preface by saying i'm a Nita fan. Not so much her solo work but what she brings to the Alice show live. I ve seen Alice enough times over the years I know what moves he is going to make on each song, each ad lib etc. In my opinion Nita has brought a new excitement and energy to the show. And yes, sex appeal. Of all the guitar players mentioned earlier other than Kane I could'nt tell them apart for what they brought to the show. I like having more than one focus onstage.

I like the new album but yes I think it could be better. The thing that made me say "ah oh" was a quote from Alice saying that he and Ezrin took the songs brought in by the band and dissected them. Therein in my opinion is where the problem may lie.
As far as Hunter and Wagner being the greatest thing ever, when they were brought in by Ezrin I thought oh great Alice ditched the band that made the great albums and replaced them with Lou Reeds back up band. And thats how I felt then and nothing that came after changed my mind about that time frame.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:28 am

rodentdog wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:34 am
i will preface by saying i'm a Nita fan. Not so much her solo work but what she brings to the Alice show live. I ve seen Alice enough times over the years I know what moves he is going to make on each song, each ad lib etc. In my opinion Nita has brought a new excitement and energy to the show. And yes, sex appeal. Of all the guitar players mentioned earlier other than Kane I could'nt tell them apart for what they brought to the show. I like having more than one focus onstage.

I like the new album but yes I think it could be better. The thing that made me say "ah oh" was a quote from Alice saying that he and Ezrin took the songs brought in by the band and dissected them. Therein in my opinion is where the problem may lie.
As far as Hunter and Wagner being the greatest thing ever, when they were brought in by Ezrin I thought oh great Alice ditched the band that made the great albums and replaced them with Lou Reeds back up band. And thats how I felt then and nothing that came after changed my mind about that time frame.
Ezrin brought them long before Alice "ditched" the band. It's Wagner's greatness on My Stars arguably Alice's greatest song. B$B is Hunter and Wagner along with Mick Mashbir and Bob Dolin as Glen doesn't even play on it, same with MOL.

Also don't forget Rick Derringer on Under My Wheels back in 1971.

Alice would not have had a solo career if not for Dick Wagner and Ezrin.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:34 am

There is a reason ezrin brings outsiders in on projects. He's looking for a sound or direction he can't get from the musicians he's producing.

It's obvious why Nita and the current band were passed over on the last two projects.

Berry
Trash
Trash

Post by Berry » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:39 am

Hello!
I have just seen this animation video for "100 more miles" by this guy on YouTube.
It is really amazing and much much better than the latest official videos from Alice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXkwpSzkCc

He also created one for "Dead can't dance" too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06oqAmfmw0

Alice should hire this guy to create his next video, it is one of the best animation videos out there! :clap: :clap:

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:05 am

Brilliant, thanks. Brings them to life. Lots of great comments too.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:08 pm

I don't consider Road a 'failure' at all. Indeed, for me, it's Cooper's most enjoyable album since Brutal Planet. Stoopid, catchy, and back to basics - The Ramones built an entire career on that - it's a hoot. Simplistic lyrics? Well, so what; some of the best pop songs ever have those.And that's what this album is: a no-frills pop record.

The band sound fine to me. Being all together, playing live, gives Road a much rawer, immediate, and organic, feel than the previous three albums. Those sound very piecemeal. Ezrin refrains from chucking the musical kitchen sink in, pulls back on polishing & buffeting, so it actually comes across as a team effort rather than the disparate anonymity of Detroit Stories. And Road doesn't fall apart halfway through like Paranormal & W2MN did.

It flopped, chart-wise, in North America, but then only two of his solo albums have ever made the Top 20 in the US anyway. The Cooper camp missed a trick by not arranging a large European tour to coincide with Road's release, as this is where his biggest fanbase is. EarMusic's promotion of the album seems to have been strangely muted compared to DS & Paranormal. I wonder why? Perhaps this is Alice's last record with them, so they didn't bother much pushing it. Or maybe they're saving all the razzamatazz for next year's reunion album. Who knows.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:36 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:42 pm
A little bird told me that she got a nice little nest egg for coming back after she flew the Coop and that ruffled a few feathers in the hen house.
Rubbish.
As has been repeatedly said she never left the band, just took time out to do something different. She didn't need any inducement to return. Even Kane has said that he was just holding her place until she came back. That was always understood.
Stop making things up to fit your agenda.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:48 pm

Thanks for sharing those links, Berry. Those videos are neat.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:20 pm

concolz wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:08 pm
I don't consider Road a 'failure' at all. Indeed, for me, it's Cooper's most enjoyable album since Brutal Planet. Stoopid, catchy, and back to basics - The Ramones built an entire career on that - it's a hoot. Simplistic lyrics? Well, so what; some of the best pop songs ever have those.And that's what this album is: a no-frills pop record.

The band sound fine to me. Being all together, playing live, gives Road a much rawer, immediate, and organic, feel than the previous three albums. Those sound very piecemeal. Ezrin refrains from chucking the musical kitchen sink in, pulls back on polishing & buffeting, so it actually comes across as a team effort rather than the disparate anonymity of Detroit Stories. And Road doesn't fall apart halfway through like Paranormal & W2MN did.

It flopped, chart-wise, in North America, but then only two of his solo albums have ever made the Top 20 in the US anyway. The Cooper camp missed a trick by not arranging a large European tour to coincide with Road's release, as this is where his biggest fanbase is. EarMusic's promotion of the album seems to have been strangely muted compared to DS & Paranormal. I wonder why? Perhaps this is Alice's last record with them, so they didn't bother much pushing it. Or maybe they're saving all the razzamatazz for next year's reunion album. Who knows.
Actually you brought up an interesting point, I haven't really considered. Ear Music did an outstanding job with Paranormal and Detroit Stories in terms of promotion but something seems to have changed recently. Really my only complaint when Alice signed with Ear Music was, because they aren't a U.S. based company, that still needed to grow in terms of promotion of their albums in North America. I don't just mean Alice but other bands I like as well.

Anyway Paranormal and Detroit Stories both by modern standards were huge successes for Alice. But now that I think about it Live From the Astroturf, A Paranormal Evening and Road haven't gotten the same promotion. Neither has the new Hollywood Vampires live album for that matter. Granted 3 of the aforementioned albums are live albums so maybe that factors in but it does seem like that initial push Alice received from the label isn't there anymore. Maybe I am just looking for excuses, I don't know and labels don't matter like they used to but it is an interesting point you made.