NWAC ending???

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

NWAC ending???

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:58 am

Anybody know why? It's been such an amazing staple for so long...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: NWAC ending???

Post by Devon » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:49 am

It's been on the air for 20 years so there might be a number of reasons why. I do know United Stations let go of some people not long ago including long time producer Katherine Turman. So it could be "budget cuts."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 am

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:58 am
Amazing? Dad Rock rubbish for the most part.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:02 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 am
AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:58 am
Amazing? Dad Rock rubbish for the most part.
It's a classic rock show so what do you expect and besides getting to hear Alice's stories and wit plus getting his deep cuts played were highlights...so yeah I'm going to miss it...I bet he will too
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:48 pm

I enjoyed the show. There could be several reasons why it is ending but frankly it likely is a budget issue. Conventional radio is hurting like everything else. I will concede I don't listen to radio much at all anymore outside of Sirius XM in my car (satellite radio). It also could come down to the fact, Alice stays so busy between touring, recording, charity works, golf etc that perhaps his contract expired and he decided not to do anymore. It is all speculative and hard to say.

As far as the show, I will admit the playlists became increasingly more predictable. In the early years, I remember Alice saying he wanted some say in a few of the songs being played, etc. It started off where you would hear a lot more deep cuts and artist you hadn't heard on classic rock radio in a while and then the playlists seem to become more sterilized. I got to where I enjoyed hearing Alice and his stories but many of the songs were things you would already hear throughout the day (though the show always played a lot of Alice including deep cuts which I liked).

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:55 pm

"The decision to end the popular program is reportedly linked to the sale of United Stations Radio Network to GeminiXIII, with new management planning to take the programming in a different direction. According to a source, Alice Cooper is not retiring or quitting radio. The decision to end the show is not a reflection of his desire to step away from broadcasting but rather a change in direction by the management of USRN."

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:50 pm

I’d love to see him do a show on Sirius when the time is right. Or a once weekly podcast sometime down the line.

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Post by damiennalice » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:58 pm

I believe when Nights first started it was only available to a small handful of stations. One of them was near me. It was fun in that beginning almost having the show "exclusive to me" (chuckle). Haven't heard it in a long time but those first shows were exciting enough for me.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:05 pm

revinkevin wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:50 pm
I’d love to see him do a show on Sirius when the time is right. Or a once weekly podcast sometime down the line.
Probably in the works but, maybe you could contact Shep?
I think presently he is dealing with more pressing issues.
We would love to hear from him.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:39 pm

Many, many years ago, the local station where it played, changed hands and changed format and suddenly it was gone. But before that I loved listening to it on my commute to work. Enjoyed the humor, the letters, and the stories he told... oh and some of the music too -lol-

I remember him playing something from the Music Machine and saying how Bonniwell wanted the band to join him on a project or on tour, but they decided to stick with Alice. Was that in the bios (Dennis and Coopers Golf Monster?) I can't remember if that tale was backed up in any of the books? But I remember thinking, "thank goodness that didn't happen".

Sad to hear this, even though I've not had it available to me on my drives in years. But as pointed out, he didn't quit it, so it could return in some form... maybe on a new local channel (for me).