Killer
Killer

Re: Alice says he had nothing to do with "Killer" and "School's Out" remasters

Post by Rock10 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:20 pm

Si wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:52 am
Rock10 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:55 am
Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath were involved in theirs. Some artists were dead when their remasters were done.
Does everyone understand that while some artists OWN their back catalogue recordings, and so can do what they want with them, Alice Cooper doesn't! This limits how much power they have to get things done.

Metallica and Maiden both own everything they have ever recorded. They can do what they like and have full control over everything. With Sabbath I believe Iommi is on some sort of crusade as regards the mid-period albums and actively pushing to get things done with the albums he doesn't actually own.

Alice and co can only get involved in any reissues if the record companies who own the recordings invites them to be involved. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And the level of involvement can vary greatly from something like the 'Old School' box set where they (the band and/or their associates) had a lot of involvement, to things like the B$B Quad just released where they seem to have had no involvement at all, and didn't even know it was coming out until it was announced.

This is why you sometimes hear stories about people taking a archive release to get it signed and Alice (or any of them) commenting that they've not seen it before. You can see from Dennis' answers in his forum that he often has no knowledge something is coming out until someone points it out to him or it arrives on his doorstep.

Then add in that Alice personally isn't that interest in looking backwards to 30-50 year old records. He's happy to leave all that in the hands of "experts" and get on with new projects. When asked to contribute he does, but he doesn't actively take an interest as such. He leaves that to other people who are more interested in that stuff.
In your Sabbath example he would be Ozzy, who also doesn't seem to be that interested and leaves all that stuff to Tony who is. With Zeppelin (who own everything themselves) its Page who is hands on everything, while Plant is only involved when asked. So Alice's position isn't really that unusual.
You're an Alice nut swinger. Ozzy doesn't own the Dio Sabbath material, nor do Tony and Geezer, but they were involved in remastering them. It looks horrible for Alice to not be involved in these. Alice is neurotic and plays golf and watches horror movies. He leaves almost everything to Shep and Bob Ezrin.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:30 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:20 pm
Si wrote:
Rock10 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:55 am
Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath were involved in theirs. Some artists were dead when their remasters were done.
Does everyone understand that while some artists OWN their back catalogue recordings, and so can do what they want with them, Alice Cooper doesn't! This limits how much power they have to get things done.

Metallica and Maiden both own everything they have ever recorded. They can do what they like and have full control over everything. With Sabbath I believe Iommi is on some sort of crusade as regards the mid-period albums and actively pushing to get things done with the albums he doesn't actually own.

Then add in that Alice personally isn't that interest in looking backwards to 30-50 year old records. He's happy to leave all that in the hands of "experts" and get on with new projects. When asked to contribute he does, but he doesn't actively take an interest as such. He leaves that to other people who are more interested in that stuff.
In your Sabbath example he would be Ozzy, who also doesn't seem to be that interested and leaves all that stuff to Tony who is. With Zeppelin (who own everything themselves) its Page who is hands on everything, while Plant is only involved when asked. So Alice's position isn't really that unusual.
You're an Alice nut swinger. Ozzy doesn't own the Dio Sabbath material, nor do Tony and Geezer, but they were involved in remastering them.
I never said they did own them. You should read what I wrote, not make stuff up.

I said "Iommi is on some sort of crusade as regards the mid-period albums and actively pushing to get things done with the albums he doesn't actually own."

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:22 pm

Si wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:30 pm
Rock10 wrote:
Si wrote:

You're an Alice nut swinger. Ozzy doesn't own the Dio Sabbath material, nor do Tony and Geezer, but they were involved in remastering them.
I never said they did own them. You should read what I wrote, not make stuff up.

I said "Iommi is on some sort of crusade as regards the mid-period albums and actively pushing to get things done with the albums he doesn't actually own."
They were remastered in 2008 also, and they were involved in the process then.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:22 pm
Si wrote:

So, again, as I said, Iommi is actively pushing to get these done - HE is interested in doing it.
Alice personally isn't that interested in spending weeks or months listening to decades old recordings. He prefers to do new stuff and tour, leaving the old stuff to those who DO want to do it.
Rock10 wrote:
You seriously think Ozzy was actively "involved in remastering" the Dio album? Don't be silly.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:28 pm

I doubt it would take months remastering an album. I think the Steve Hoffman ones were done in a day. Two at the most. Longer than that and it would start to get cost prohibitive.

I'm starting to think remastering is a bit of a waste of time if you can easily pick up the original albums. The meat and potatoes in these albums are the unreleased stuff.

I don't care if Alice is involved or not. I do wish he would have a specific curator though.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:03 am

Si wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 pm
Rock10 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:22 pm
Si wrote:

So, again, as I said, Iommi is actively pushing to get these done - HE is interested in doing it.
Alice personally isn't that interested in spending weeks or months listening to decades old recordings. He prefers to do new stuff and tour, leaving the old stuff to those who DO want to do it.
Rock10 wrote:
You seriously think Ozzy was actively "involved in remastering" the Dio album? Don't be silly.
I didn't say Ozzy. Tony and Geezer were. I said Ozzy doesn't own the Dio Black Sabbath albums.
Last edited by Rock10 on Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:06 am

Si wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 pm

He and Geezer listened to them when they were remastering them in 2008 and now. Other bands have also. Alice just leaves things to Shep and Bob to take care of. You can't compare the anniversary to "Trash" and "Lace & Whiskey" to his first four big albums.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:05 am

Rock10 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:06 am
He and Geezer listened to them when they were remastering them in 2008 and now. Other bands have also. Alice just leaves things to Shep and Bob to take care of. You can't compare the anniversary to "Trash" and "Lace & Whiskey" to his first four big albums.
Okay, I'll tell you what to do... Go tell Alice he MUST get heavily involve in all remasters/re-releases of anything he has recorded in the past, regardless of if he cares or is interested in them in any way. See how far you get.

You can't force someone in his position to do something he has no interest in doing. He believes - rightly or wrongly - that there are people who take care of this sort of stuff, and his evidence would be that there has been a steady stream of reissues for years and there are more projects on the way.

For what it's worth there IS a group of people who work behind the scenes on some (but not all) of the Alice Cooper reissue projects, or at least have substantial input into them. Whether their comments and recommendations are listened to by Rhino etc is a different matter. Often good ideas are vetoed due to costs or just simple disagreements as to which way to go.

The bottom line is it's the record companies like Warner/Rhino who have the final say, not Alice and his guys. And the record companies only really care about the money they will make, not any legacy Alice Cooper will have. And the simple fact is Alice personally is not that interested in spending his time on it. He wants to tour, record new music and play golf, so why shouldn't he do what he enjoys doing?

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:00 pm

Think of it like it’s ……grape jelly. Just because Alice has his name on the label doesn’t mean he isn’t enlisting others to do their thing. I really don’t see the problem here.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:39 am

It's always grape jelly.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:46 pm

I did it for you.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:43 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:22 am
These albums are too important for Alice to not be involved in remastering.
This thread has gone bonkers.
I've seen all your points.

Alice has one of the busiest tour schedules going, continues to release new albums, does work on other peoples new music, has the solid rock foundation and im sure other similiar things he gets involved in.

You think he should spend time he probably allocates to his faith and family to remastering old music?

Will you be retired or working full time at 75? Alice is working, but geezo cut some slack.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:34 am

I heard Alice's reply on this thread in https://www.noise11.com/vinterviews/alice-cooper-3
but another thing now : why is Alice not saying anything more about the "album" that is already done ? Is he waiting for Road to be launched ?? Although I don't think people would skip the Road-album to wait for the (supposed ACG) album ?
(would this be like the kind of info MB gave away too soon, a few months ago ? )
you really wouldn't understand..

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:39 am

patrick wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:34 am
I heard Alice's reply on this thread in https://www.noise11.com/vinterviews/alice-cooper-3
but another thing now : why is Alice not saying anything more about the "album" that is already done ? Is he waiting for Road to be launched ?? Although I don't think people would skip the Road-album to wait for the (supposed ACG) album ?
(would this be like the kind of info MB gave away too soon, a few months ago ? )
He is concentrating on the album he is supposed to be promoting, not anything that may or may not be released in the future. You don't want to muddy the waters and confuse people.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:18 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:28 pm
I doubt it would take months remastering an album. I think the Steve Hoffman ones were done in a day. Two at the most. Longer than that and it would start to get cost prohibitive.
That’s Steve Hoffman’s time. He’s not involved with the conception of the project, sorting out licensing for the recordings, locating the best sources (as you yourself may remember!) and nothing to do with sorting artwork, linear notes and other packaging decisions. Nor does he have to give up his time to promote it and other associated marketing stuff.
This stuff does take up more time than you imagine.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:47 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:18 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:28 pm
That’s Steve Hoffman’s time. He’s not involved with the conception of the project, sorting out licensing for the recordings, locating the best sources (as you yourself may remember!) and nothing to do with sorting artwork, linear notes and other packaging decisions. Nor does he have to give up his time to promote it and other associated marketing stuff.
This stuff does take up more time than you imagine.
Of course. I was talking about the idea of Alice actually being in the studio working on the tapes.