Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: “Road,” August 25, 2023

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:47 pm

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCzReLOlrk/url]

Youtube link for the new song - wasn't the first track released on a Wednesday (bizarrely), could it be released tomorrow?

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:35 pm

Is that when Alice's radio show airs? Perhaps they want it to play on there on release day? Songs being available on days other than Friday isn't something too unheard of these days (I can't think of any specific examples unfortunately, but there's been a few metal bands that I'm sure have done Wednesday or Thursday in the recent past).

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:00 pm

Alice just posted this on Facebook:
The Too Close For Comfort Tour is taking over! New dates added this Fall including three nights of the Halloween Hootenanny with Rob Zombie. Pre-sale tickets and VIP Packages on sale tomorrow with code SICKTHINGS. General on-sale Friday at 10a local time.

Tour Dates + Tickets at https://AliceCooper.com/tour

...and be on the look out for White Line Frankenstein. He'll be hitting the 'Road' tonight.
Sounds like it's coming later today :D

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:06 pm

I think that kills the unrealistic hope I had of any UK dates any point this year (unless there's a replacement for Nita again). Guess I'll be booting up the VPN in a little while for the song though.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:49 pm

Just listened using a VPN - I like it more than I'm Alice. It's got a decent groove and a simple, catchy chorus. Could see this being a pretty good live song.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:00 pm

lordcatfish wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:06 pm
I think that kills the unrealistic hope I had of any UK dates any point this year (unless there's a replacement for Nita again). Guess I'll be booting up the VPN in a little while for the song though.
I suspect with Hollywood Vampires only just wrapping up, I'd suspect a tour next year would be the more likely.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:51 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:47 pm
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCzReLOlrk/url]

Youtube link for the new song - wasn't the first track released on a Wednesday (bizarrely), could it be released tomorrow?
As with 'I'm Alice' they've geolockled it until Midnight YOUR local time. It's available now in Australia with a VPN.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:14 pm

I like the song, better than the first single. It’s completely to the point. Its lyrics and vibe shouts “im a song written on the road, for the road”. Still waiting for a bigger surprise in the album.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:24 am

Patiently waiting until midnight.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:26 am

Better then I'm Alice. Nice rocking song.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:47 am

Just clicked that the chorus melody is the same as Cherry Pie.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:25 am

lordcatfish wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:47 am
Just clicked that the chorus melody is the same as Cherry Pie.

Thought the same.

Juvenile stuff from the band that apparently " fires on all cylinders ". Oh dear. Should please the metal heads.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:11 am

White Line Frankenstein

I can see why it'a being released as a single.

Really like the intro/guitar riff that runs through the verses. Lyrically and musically the verses are solid efforts, but feel the pre-chorus and chorus are a little tedious. Definitely a track with the intention of being played live.

There's some variations in the two released tracks that gives me hope that we could have a hidden gem or two on the album.

The two released tracks have been solid enough. I just hope the band, Ezrin and Alice have allowed for a bit more imagination and creativity for elements of the album.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:16 am

Only listened once so far but it’s fine with me. Very accessible. Never listened to Warrant so didn’t see the link. Two simple choruses so far and a bit more grit in this one.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:42 am

absolute rocker, had me from the opening bars.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:22 am

White Line Frankenstein Puts the 'under' into 'whelming'. A reheated slice of Warrant's Cherry Pie, with some widdly widdly guitar nonsense. As with I'm Alice, Cooper speak-sings the (lamer than Lazarus) verses. At least with the opener, Ezrin's patchwork quilt approach creates a bit of interest. Here, it's straight down the line retro-metal bog standardness.Oh well.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:46 pm

Wicked track. I have no idea why people are hearing metal in this - I'm probably the biggest metal fan on this board and this is just a rock song. As for the Cherry Pie comparisons, the rhythm and syllables might be the same, but the melody is totally different. I don't really hear it.

In any case, I think this is going to fit really well in the context of the record, much like I'm Alice. This song is already better than almost every song on Detroit Stories.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:30 pm

Several thoughts on the new track. Let me begin by stating though I very much love all eras of Alice, I am an even bigger fan of his solo work than the original band so some of this pains me to say this. I actually like "I'm Alice" better than this track. Like Spiner202, I am a big metal fan too so when people claim this is more of a metal song, huh? If only!

Usually Alice throughout much of his career kind of does albums in pairs in terms of sounds. I really feel like the garage sound stuff has ran its course. Basically it is all safe, kind of generic stuff. None of it is bad, yet none of it particularly rocks either.

Like others have said, it is another song that is basically spoken word. I don't mind a little bit of that and it was fine for I'm Alice but the second single is more spoken word. It now concerns me that it is going to show up in just about every song on the album (hope I am wrong about that). I love Alice's current band, they are my favorite lineup of his entire career but it basically sounds, at least to me, much like the last few other albums meaning I am not hearing much different in terms of sound which is what I thought this album was going to be based on, the personality of the current lineup. I have said this before and I know it sounds like a complaint (not my intention) but I want to hear Nita Strauss shredding (her new album is incredible), I want to hear Chuck Garric add a little of the Beasto Blanco sound in the songwriting and some glam stuff coming from Roxie and combine that into one powerful, heavy yet melodic album.

I don't like slamming anyone but I really think the well has run dry with Bob Ezrin and the production. I will give you an example. Take the band Black Sabbath. Their final studio album, 13, was produced by the legendary Ric Rubin. What you got was a decent but kind of meh final album because it sounded like an older band trying to basically go back and rewrite an album that sounds like it came out of 50 years ago. It did not work. Though he didn't produce this particular album, I think about the Alice album "Along Came a Spider." The concept is great, the promotion for that album wasn't bad at all, but when I listen to that album, it is one of the few Alice solo albums that I don't love. It is okay but the production killed it for me. And the tragedy is you could hear the potential of the songs and I couldn't help but think a little bit better production and a tweak here or there and you could have had a GREAT Alice album because the songs are there.

Finally and I know getting airplay is very very unlikely and hard for veteran artists, but when you put out two spoken word singles in a row, even in the very few places they may play say "I'm Alice" then coming back with another spoken word song doesn't bode well for building momentum. Just my long-winded two cents and not trying to be negative.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:50 pm

Well we still have several songs to go to complete the album, so we don't know if Alice's "spoken singing" motif continues throughout the rest of the album or not but I have been very happy with both tracks so far. I like how they sound and lyrically...not every song has to be "Might as Well Be on Mars" but I appreciate a story and catchy lyrics...of which both songs have both!
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:16 pm

WLF - At first and second listen after midnight I just didn't like it. Maybe it was my mood by not being awake ? who knows? Just listened to it a few mins ago this afternoon and that's all changed. I like it quit a lot and I am excited to hear the rest of the album now even the reworked Road Rats and the dreaded Magic Bus. Who knows maybe they can add something to Magic Bus. Anyway it's nice and about time to be getting away from all those covers with the 11 new tracks as I couldn't stomach another Detroit Stories album.
Last edited by steven15322 on Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face