2022 hopes and dreams

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: 2022 hopes and dreams

Post by revinkevin » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:12 am

What he said. Song by committee or song by band ? I’ll take the latter any day.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:53 am

Has anyone heard Jackson Brownes' "Running On Empty"?
That's a "Road" album! We'll have to wait & see/hear. :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:08 am

The argument "best song wins" is just - sorry - plain stupid in this context. We will never know how the songs would have been after the process. So comparison to make the judgement of what songs are the best 10 is irrelevant. It can't be done.

The argument that we should wait and see how the record turns out is as stupid as the last one. We will never get the chance to hear how the road album with the band turned out, because Bob Ezrin robbed us of the chance. Forever.

What we will get is a "road record" that is like any other record. Hoo ray! I love me some Alice Cooper. But the potential was much more than that and something unique in 2022.
If the album turns out great, like Paranormal and W2MN both did, then the results speak for themselves. Being a band album doesn't automatically make it good (just look at the eyes of alice cooper and dirty diamonds, both of which i do not like) Detroit stories had the potential to be great but alice wanted lots of covers which (for me) pulled the quality down.

"album by committee" is not the same as having a producer being a guiding force. Alice is his own man, if he thought the quality of songs from the road band was good enough then surely he would include their songs (its his album after all) but if he didn't think they were good enough and or something better was available why wouldn't you put it on? It may just be that the disparate styles didn't always gel well, we just dont know.

I think its daft that people are down on the album/process before we have even heard a single second of a single track and before we actually know who is writing what on the album (again, not that it should matter, a good track is a good track).
I dont know why there is this clamor to be a band album when alice is a solo act and has rarely done "band" albums. Outside of constrictor & Raise your fist and yell (which i both adore) all the best alice cooper albums post 1975 have been producer/alice lead.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:17 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:08 am
The argument "best song wins" is just - sorry - plain stupid in this context. We will never know how the songs would have been after the process. So comparison to make the judgement of what songs are the best 10 is irrelevant. It can't be done.

The argument that we should wait and see how the record turns out is as stupid as the last one. We will never get the chance to hear how the road album with the band turned out, because Bob Ezrin robbed us of the chance. Forever.

What we will get is a "road record" that is like any other record. Hoo ray! I love me some Alice Cooper. But the potential was much more than that and something unique in 2022.
If the album turns out great, like Paranormal and W2MN both did, then the results speak for themselves. Being a band album doesn't automatically make it good (just look at the eyes of alice cooper and dirty diamonds, both of which i do not like) Detroit stories had the potential to be great but alice wanted lots of covers which (for me) pulled the quality down.

"album by committee" is not the same as having a producer being a guiding force. Alice is his own man, if he thought the quality of songs from the road band was good enough then surely he would include their songs (its his album after all) but if he didn't think they were good enough and or something better was available why wouldn't you put it on? It may just be that the disparate styles didn't always gel well, we just dont know.

I think its daft that people are down on the album/process before we have even heard a single second of a single track and before we actually know who is writing what on the album (again, not that it should matter, a good track is a good track).
I dont know why there is this clamor to be a band album when alice is a solo act and has rarely done "band" albums. Outside of constrictor & Raise your fist and yell (which i both adore) all the best alice cooper albums post 1975 have been producer/alice lead.
I don't disagree with anything you said. My point is that the idea of the band being together a lot on the road anyway brought a unique chance to actually make a band album in 2020's. Quite frankly by now I'd rather have a band album that had low floor and high ceiling than another Paranormal.

"I dont know why there is this clamor to be a band album when alice is a solo act and has rarely done "band" albums." I know: It is there because a band album was promised.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 am

"I dont know why there is this clamor to be a band album when alice is a solo act and has rarely done "band" albums.”

Because I am a fan of the band and because there is potential there for something different and I for one want to hear it.

These guys have a combined commitment here of over 65 years. It’s huge when you think about it and I want to hear what they can deliver.

I refuse to be negative about this release. I was pulled down on W2MN, Paranormal, Detroit Stories and the last HV album because I got sucked into the negative vibe on these pages. It’s not happening this time.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:49 pm

del wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 am
I refuse to be negative about this release. I was pulled down on W2MN, Paranormal, Detroit Stories and the last HV album because I got sucked into the negative vibe on these pages. It’s not happening this time.
Agreed. We are lucky that Alice is still touring & putting out new albums in his mid-70s. This will ALL come to an end eventually. Enjoy it while it's here.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:49 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:49 pm
del wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 am
Agreed. We are lucky that Alice is still touring & putting out new albums in his mid-70s. This will ALL come to an end eventually. Enjoy it while it's here.
I'm ecstatic that I got to see their tour after a 2 year hiatus! :clap:
Anything after that is "Icing On The Cake"
Albums, tours, DVD's bring it on!
:rock:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Rod
Trash
Trash

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:43 am

Moderated: Please read your personal messages Rod

MartinUK
Trash
Trash

Post by MartinUK » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:00 am

Hi everyone

It must be nearly 10 - 15 years since I last posted and I am pleased to see 'Sickthings' goes form strength to strength. I generally only view as a guest these days but this subject matter touches on something i viewed recently and I had not seen mentioned. Firstly I want to say congratulations to all those that manage and contribute to this site as it really is a fantastic and informative site relating to Alice and everyone connected to the music !!

A few weeks back I saw on you tube an interview with Michael Bruce on Good News Arizona that took place recently. During this interview he mentioned that Alice was currently working on an album with his current band which has been well documented on here and for one I am looking forward to hear.

[Edit]

So with regard to hopes and dreams for 2022 yes I hope we get an album using the current band. However to follow that with an album by the original band would really truly make my day. Having witnessed the recent reunion concerts in London and the UK and album written by the original band would truly be the icing on the cake for someone like me that has followed the Alice Cooper band for the past 50 years.

Without stoking any further debate an album by his current band and then followed by the original band album (if it happens) will no doubt cause a debate about the inevitable comparisons between the two.

Glad to be back !!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:18 am

MODERATOR POST:

Okay, listen up please.

A few weeks ago Michael Bruce was interviewed and made comments on a possible future project he was NOT supposed to be talking about yet. It's at a very early stage and there's no guarantees it will happen.

This has put me in a difficult situation, and I've had to edit or remove a few posts to avoid spreading the information, not something I like to do.

This morning there have been three more post, and there's likely to be more.

Please could you refrain from referring to this interview and Michael's comments. It is NOT a fact that it will happen, and building it up as fact could damage both the forthcoming current band album and anything else Alice releases. It's fine to want it to happen, but let it happen in it's own time, or it may not happen at all.

Please don't put the moderators in the position of having to edit your post.

Si

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:18 pm

Speaking for myself alone, thanks for trying to keep a lid on it, Si.

Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:37 pm

I havent seen this interview but it sounds like he could have jeopardized it before it has even begun.
Im excited for the next album and i hope it seriously rips. Nita and chuck are amazing and i would love to hear what they have put forward for alice and co to work with.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:37 pm

My hopes for May is to have some news about the new album and why not a single, as Alice has a long break until the summer tour. Plus I hope he does change 1-2 songs from the setlist(Drop Escape/My stars/Be my lover). At least, I have realistic hopes and dreams!

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Sun May 01, 2022 10:27 am

Just seen an ad shared on the SickThings Facebook group suggesting the Astroturf live EP and documentary being released Aug 26. Hopefully this is the case.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun May 01, 2022 10:28 am

lordcatfish wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:27 am
Just seen an ad shared on the SickThings Facebook group suggesting the Astroturf live EP and documentary being released Aug 26. Hopefully this is the case.
It is. LP/DVD and CD/DVD I believe.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sat May 07, 2022 6:43 pm

Well. That is good news :)

Catweazle
Trash
Trash

Post by Catweazle » Tue May 17, 2022 12:15 pm

Si wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:28 am
lordcatfish wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:27 am
It is. LP/DVD and CD/DVD I believe.

jpc.de has this:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail ... m/10918676
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail ... m/10918679

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:59 pm

The word now appears to be coming out regarding Alice and the other Original Group Members working together, therefore I'm posting this link: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/alice-c ... new-music/

Unfortunately, once again it looks like what has, is and will be transpiring falls short of expectations for at least some of us.

Hopefully the Moderators of this Forum will allow this comment to remain as is, but if not I completely understand and apologize in advance for my transgression.

Ted

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:02 pm

I don't think Alice's words here is any different to what has happened on the last few albums (and very different to MB's statements). There are songs written and recorded with the original guys which may or may not be used at some point and in some form. That's been the case for a decade and no reason to think it won't continue.

What I do think is that what seems to be the relative success of Astroturf and the UK tour makes it more possible something more substantial will actually happen then it's ever been. Various comments suggest that "The Road" album is, sadly, no longer seen as a current band only project, with other musicians appearing, so he could be referring to that, or the album after that which is likely already in the planning stages.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:22 pm

Si wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:02 pm
I don't think Alice's words here is any different to what has happened on the last few albums (and very different to MB's statements). There are songs written and recorded with the original guys which may or may not be used at some point and in some form. That's been the case for a decade and no reason to think it won't continue.

What I do think is that what seems to be the relative success of Astroturf and the UK tour makes it more possible something more substantial will actually happen then it's ever been. Various comments suggest that "The Road" album is, sadly, no longer seen as a current band only project, with other musicians appearing, so he could be referring to that, or the album after that which is likely already in the planning stages.
I do agree that Alice is more or less repeating what he's stated before when referring to working with Michael, Dennis and Neal in the past. So it was basically MB's statements which caused the inevitable speculation regarding what might have been transpiring. To be honest, I couldn't help but wonder what the possible ramifications to Alice's solo career, the Hollywood Vampires, etc. might have been if a full-fledged ACG reunion was to happen now or in the near future.

The fact that 2023 will mark the 50th anniversary of the release of their biggest album (BDB) created in my view a fairly plausible reason for a complete reunion, but as solo activities for Alice next year have already been announced, that kind of puts a damper on a full-scale OG reformation, near-term.

Ted