The last temptation with bonustracks

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The last temptation with bonustracks

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Tracks are left off albums for a reason - they're not that great. My opinion. The only leftover I can think of that's fantastic is No Tricks. I think it wasn't included on From The Inside because they didn't want two duets on the record.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:01 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:29 pm
Tracks are left off albums for a reason - they're not that great. My opinion. The only leftover I can think of that's fantastic is No Tricks. I think it wasn't included on From The Inside because they didn't want two duets on the record.
Maybe they just wanted a strong B-side to "How You Gonna See Me Now" ? :alice:
P.S. I'm kind of partial to "Clowns Will Eat Me"
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:51 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:23 pm
I literally just had a look and apparently he sold all the rights to his stuff in 2018. so.....well ....that's that then.
Not sure that’s correct.

“ NEW YORK, N.Y. (January 23, 2018) – Primary Wave Music Publishing, the leading U.S. independent music publishing company, announced today their marketing and administration agreement with rock icon Alice Cooper. As part of the agreement, Primary Wave Music Publishing will now represent the music publishing catalog of Alice Cooper which includes some of his most well-known hits such as “School’s Out,” “I’m Eighteen,” “No More Mr. Nice Guy,” and “Poison.” Primary Wave will also work with Alice to not only market his catalog of music, but also his name and likeness. With this unique and strategic partnership, Primary Wave’s digital division will be handling all daily digital marketing activities to not only build awareness of Alice’s music, but for his overall business in general including touring, e-commerce, and other direct to fan initiatives.”

This does not read as the purchase of rights at all but it does suggest that Alice has minimal, if any involvement in decisions and that he still owns his publishing rights to many songs.

It also potentially answers recent questions about the decisions to license colouring books.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 pm

That is very subjective. I havent heard many of these tracks left off etc but two tracks from hey stoopid (4th street could talk and chemical reaction) are really strong and i would have replaced dirty dreams with either of them. likewise with it rained all night. I also presume love transfusion was originally an alice song which again i really like and while i wouldnt replace any tracks from trash i would have used it as B-sides or something.

I have never heard the tracks left off other albums but nobody move was on constrictor until the very last minute, (personally i find it hard to imagine it is worse than thrill my gorilla) So that track must be easily and readily available. There are loads of tracks either in good demo form or some in complete
Also using danzigs left off tracks as an example, he released them as a double album and most of them are great and several are better than tracks on the album, so it is very subjective.

All the reasonings seem to essentially boil down to alice not caring enough to pursue it. Which is fine, but is increasingly annoying when he will put his likeness on (seemingly)anything anyone brings to him including taking the time to record commercials for them (like the recent insurance commercial)

If they were worried about millions of unsold stock on collectors editions etc then hold a pre order get the numbers of people buying them then maybe make a small percentage more and done. no stock left over no problems.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:56 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 pm
That is very subjective. I havent heard many of these tracks left off etc but two tracks from hey stoopid (4th street could talk and chemical reaction) are really strong and i would have replaced dirty dreams with either of them. likewise with it rained all night. I also presume love transfusion was originally an alice song which again i really like and while i wouldnt replace any tracks from trash i would have used it as B-sides or something.

I have never heard the tracks left off other albums but nobody move was on constrictor until the very last minute, (personally i find it hard to imagine it is worse than thrill my gorilla) So that track must be easily and readily available. There are loads of tracks either in good demo form or some in complete
Also using danzigs left off tracks as an example, he released them as a double album and most of them are great and several are better than tracks on the album, so it is very subjective.

All the reasonings seem to essentially boil down to alice not caring enough to pursue it. Which is fine, but is increasingly annoying when he will put his likeness on (seemingly)anything anyone brings to him including taking the time to record commercials for them (like the recent insurance commercial)

If they were worried about millions of unsold stock on collectors editions etc then hold a pre order get the numbers of people buying them then maybe make a small percentage more and done. no stock left over no problems.
I 100% agree.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:20 am

Apparently, about half of the people posting in this thread don't bother to actually read this thread.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:32 am

SickThings wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:20 am
Apparently, about half of the people posting in this thread don't bother to actually read this thread.
I can't read.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:23 am

SickThings wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:20 am
It does seem to have taken a slightly different direction to "Bonus Tracks" overall. ;)
However, if we could hear LT's bonus tracks (in their remixed form) maybe we would have more to discuss.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:10 am

it was sort of on topic, just a tangential rant because of the nonsense "bonus tracks"/reissues these companys poop out when there is potential for so much more. Not to mention the artist signing over his likeness to all and sundry
Back on topic then.
This reissue looks ...pointless! hahaha but it does have pretty pictures in the booklet from the comic, so i guess that's good?

Mark Wahlberg
Trash
Trash

Post by Mark Wahlberg » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:31 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 pm
two tracks from hey stoopid (4th street could talk and chemical reaction)
The way I hear it, Chemical Reaction sounds like a Raise Your Fist... outtake.
The production sounds nothing like the one on Stoopid and resembles more the one on Fist, and unless I have crap in my ears, I think this is Ken Mary on drums.
I could be wrong.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:58 am

Ok, back to the original comment.

I could care less about another unofficial release with nothing new on it. I’m fed up going back in time at every opportunity. A personal view.

And now, following the drift off-track about Danzig and for that matter many smaller bands. Is the focus on lovingly curated compilations and outtakes not because it’s often their primary source of income and they need to keep reworking the catalogue with more with official releases just to make a living? Certainly a fact for a couple of bands I knew.

And finally, on the question of why not more Alice involvement Does he not have other things to do and the right to do them in his near mid 70’s? Radio show, touring, Solid Rock, golf? I think I’d be sick to death of going back, yet again to periods that have been rehashed before or I just want to forget Anyway, a days effort to record an advert may be massively more exposure than a week on another re-release to the same audience of a few thousand.

Oh, one more. Betty Wright and No Tricks - good shout.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:54 am

What was the song Alice sang when he was in the studio for Behind the Music? They said it was a new song.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:54 am
What was the song Alice sang when he was in the studio for Behind the Music? They said it was a new song.
Do you mean this one? ALICE COOPER - SALVATION
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:42 pm

No the Behind the Music was in 1999.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:42 am

This sounds a lot like the arguments I used to have here with that amuk guy. Nice to see other fellow fans having the same issues I did.

Maybe the signing away of rights and masters and whatever else, was a smart move for Alice and Shep who knows? But it sure made things crappy for the ardent Alice Cooper fan and collector of music. For the most part I stopped buying Alice product because of what I consider, shoddy treatment of long time fans. I skipped all of the coloured vinyl re-issues, live dvd's, limited edition eps whatever.

But I will always fork out $ for a worthwhile archival release or a new album

My last few purchases:
The Astroturf record
Paranormal (red vinyl issue)
Mar y Sol record

and these were bought a few years back - I'll wait for anything I deem good - but I ain't holding by breath

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:03 am

And finally, on the question of why not more Alice involvement Does he not have other things to do and the right to do them in his near mid 70’s? Radio show, touring, Solid Rock, golf? I think I’d be sick to death of going back, yet again to periods that have been rehashed before or I just want to forget Anyway, a days effort to record an advert may be massively more exposure than a week on another re-release to the same audience of a few thousand.
Alice can do what he likes, 100%. I would think he would pay a minion to sort it out (i am pretty sure he does hire people to manage these things) but yeah alice doesnt have to do those things at all.
But i do not have to like/appreciate/accept the frankly shoddy treatment of these albums/time periods and indeed the fan base that's supports them because alice would rather sell his name out to anyone with the dollars to pay.

In terms of you wanting to stop going back then thats cool. I love and support his new stuff fully so i hear that. but again, if you are gonna reissue an album for the 60th time, just do it properly!

Each to his own I suppose. If you want hot sauce and coloring books i guess you are catered to at least.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Since people refuse to read all of the posts in this thread:

Take your beef about album reissues and the lack of real special editions to the record labels who own the materials. For the umpteenth time in this thread, Alice does not own the masters for the albums and has no control over what it is released, packaged, or licensed to other companies for release.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:58 am

SickThings wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:44 pm
Since people refuse to read all of the posts in this thread:

Take your beef about album reissues and the lack of real special editions to the record labels who own the materials. For the umpteenth time in this thread, Alice does not own the masters for the albums and has no control over what it is released, packaged, or licensed to other companies for release.
That's NOT 100% true. The latest WB reissues were waiting for approval from the management so they (sometimes) do have to approve releases.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 pm

mestreech wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:58 am
That's NOT 100% true. The latest WB reissues were waiting for approval from the management so they (sometimes) do have to approve releases.
According to whom? Someone posting here?

I would think common courtesy says that the record labels would discuss releases with the artists, but I don't know that that ever happens, especially when the artist hasn't been signed to the label for decades.

Still, even if it were true, giving approval to a release is a far cry from what people in this thread want "Alice" to do, but it's not theirs to do.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:20 pm

mestreech wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:58 am
The latest WB reissues were waiting for approval from the management so they (sometimes) do have to approve releases.
I too would like to know where this info. was obtained from.

Ted