Label spanning Greatest Hits

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Label spanning Greatest Hits

Post by Dannorama » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:57 pm

It's been a lifetime since "Mascara and Monsters," the last official label spanning Greatest Hits package. Sure, there are collections all over the place, but it usually means a single label creating a product with only their stuff. Just check out this site's Compilations page for more. There are examples that come close (The Russian 2009 version), but nothing big. Is it time for a new, all-encompassing greatest hits package? Not a box, just a quick collection. There's been a lot of great new stuff since then. I know, I know... labels rights, etc., etc. Screw that. Anything is possible.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Label spanning Greatest Hits

Post by Si » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:57 pm
It's been a lifetime since "Mascara and Monsters," the last official label spanning Greatest Hits package. Sure, there are collections all over the place, but it usually means a single label creating a product with only their stuff. Just check out this site's Compilations page for more. There are examples that come close (The Russian 2009 version), but nothing big. Is it time for a new, all-encompassing greatest hits package? Not a box, just a quick collection. There's been a lot of great new stuff since then. I know, I know... labels rights, etc., etc. Screw that. Anything is possible.
In an era when anyone can create their own compilation what would be the point?
These days these things are almost always just a cash in from a record company. No fan needs them, and even if there was a new one it would be heavily slanted to the same old songs.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:52 pm
In an era when anyone can create their own compilation what would be the point? These days these things are almost always just a cash in from a record company. No fan needs them, and even if there was a new one it would be heavily slanted to the same old songs.
Sometimes, new fans are introduced to acts through comps like this. Sure, you can make a Spotify list or whatever, but those lists could be dull. Maybe someone will hear something new that inspires them to check further. Just a thought.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:32 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm
Si wrote:
In an era when anyone can create their own compilation what would be the point? These days these things are almost always just a cash in from a record company. No fan needs them, and even if there was a new one it would be heavily slanted to the same old songs.
Sometimes, new fans are introduced to acts through comps like this. Sure, you can make a Spotify list or whatever, but those lists could be dull. Maybe someone will hear something new that inspires them to check further. Just a thought.
I agree in the past that new people could be brought in via comps, but I doubt that happens much now. There are enough comps out there already to serve that purpose anyway.

And if your Spotify playlist YOU make is boring you only have yourself to blame!! Why would YOU create a playlist for yourself that YOU found boring?

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:50 am

Si wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:32 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm
Si wrote:
I agree in the past that new people could be brought in via comps, but I doubt that happens much now. There are enough comps out there already to serve that purpose anyway.

And if your Spotify playlist YOU make is boring you only have yourself to blame!! Why would YOU create a playlist for yourself that YOU found boring?
Just try a different way of looking at (& listening). I digitized my David Bowie vinyl collection following his passing & wanted to create a few Cd's for the car & friends. I did my best to stay away from songs that could be heard on "Classic Rock" Radio any day of the week. I called them Tutorials. Songs to introduce virgins to the catalog. Keeping them anything but boring. Pick one or 2 deep cuts from each Lp (at most 3) - you might be surprised.
4 years in & they're still in the car. Coop is on the iPhone.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...