Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Re-evaluating Alice

Post by Gilles27 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:59 pm

del wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:19 am
Starting to get into the psychology here a little. Is it really that they aren’t as good or is it because 80%+ of fans start their journeys when they are in their teens and at their most impressionable? Usually when the act is new on the scene or having a comeback and offering something different to what the kids have started to listen to and which gives them something to relate to emotionally.

The impact the acts make at this time can never be repeated simply because it is new and because everyone matures. Those who stay on the journey as fans do so because that original impact was so strong and because the act continues to keep the connection live to some degree either by triggering memories or by still delivering parts of that original impact on some level.

For me, Alice does both. I’d like to see less effort to recreate the past and more on developing new music which is why I am desperate to hear an album with the band rather than the cast of the past. God, I’d hate my life if I was constantly trying to recreate my teens and twenties.
This is 100% right! I remember Alice saying in an interview that he could release an album that was the greatest music ever created and people would still be heading to the toilets when he played the new stuff. He's right. The songs and albums that mean the most to me are those I heard and loved when I was in my teens and twenties. I thought Death Magnetic was a great Metallica album, but in the last 5 years I have hardly ever played it, whereas Master Of Puppets is still on heavy rotation. It's the same with Alice. When I 'discovered' Alice it was the mid-eighties. I love all the albums up to DaDa as between me and my friend we acquired them all. Everything from Constrictor onward was 'new' and doesn't have the same emotional effect.
Alice, Ozzy, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and any other 'heritage' acts can't win. There will always be hardcore fans who dislike their new stuff. the fact that they keep going is a good thing. There could be a fourteen year old who is listening to Detroit Stories on repeat and loving it. He'll explore the back catalogue and may well like some of the 'classic' stuff such as The Last Temptation which was made in a different century, but still feels like a new album to me! He'll obviously hate the next album though!
Time is getting closer

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:11 pm

The only thing that has made me ever re-evaluate Alice is how, sometimes, he tends to put down his own career, saying it's all humour, all a joke whilst he's got some pretty serious recording with important messages which he still plays live.

Besides that, everything is part of the evolution of an artist (which obviously can go through some rough places like the covers, and some really out of place songs)

Oh! There's another thing that has put me in the position of reevaluating Alice... Bob Ezrin's involvement... I really, really, really, really hope Bob doesn't get too much involvement in the band's album

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:11 pm
The only thing that has made me ever re-evaluate Alice is how, sometimes, he tends to put down his own career, saying it's all humour, all a joke whilst he's got some pretty serious recording with important messages which he still plays live.

Besides that, everything is part of the evolution of an artist (which obviously can go through some rough places like the covers, and some really out of place songs)

Oh! There's another thing that has put me in the position of reevaluating Alice... Bob Ezrin's involvement... I really, really, really, really hope Bob doesn't get too much involvement in the band's album
Don't bet on it! :rotfl:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...