hot sauce and colouring books

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

hot sauce and colouring books

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:31 pm

I am starting to get very frustrated at the tacky cash in products coming out recently (like the 2 mentioned above)
I know he has had no income from touring over the last year and change but is this the best way to bring it in?
Lots of bands and Paradise lost specifically have reissued old albums in nice packages with limited t-shirts and did a covid show to no audience and released it on blu ray(which is awesome)
While we are still not able to get good reissues of most of alices back catalog with all the left over tracks, demos and b-sides, live shows etc but releasing hot sauce and tacky card game which has nothing to do with him is a good way to go?
crazy.
is anyone else with me on this or am i just old and jaded.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Re: hot sauce and colouring books

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:40 am

Not jaded, but we have grown old waiting for him to take the fans, the original band members and the music seriously.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:25 pm

I'm frustrated at the lack of desires mentioned. What are you looking for? In the past 12 months alone, we've had:
1. A great new album, featuring the original band.
2. An upcoming tour of the States, with dates already announced in Europe for next year.
3. A bunch of new merchandise.
4. Fresh appearances all over the place. The man is not making himself scarce.

On top of that, practically his entire back catalog has been recently reissued, often with colored vinyl. If you want obscurities, the two box sets are loaded with them. Sure, the hot sauce and game are naming-rights agreements, but why not? Really, asking for a friend, "What do you want from me?"
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:59 pm

I know he has released an album, i brought it day one. The tour is great, but you miss the point. If you want cash (which he must do to hawk out his image/name to random products) then why not actually give your back catalog some love, deluxe reissues with rare/unheard tracks/demos etc.
The album reissues are rubbish in that they are the path of least resistance and just chuck the album on a coloured vinyl and we are done.
I would gladly pay good money for some GOOD reissues that give me an incentive to buy them (ie the aforementioned tracks and live gigs etc) lots of other bands do it, queensryche, paradise lost, metallica, marillion even blaze bayley manages it! but alice just ignores it and leaves this material on the shelf. a total waste.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:26 pm

I completely agree with Sanit&Sinner and Padre.
Give us some serious and good reissues. What about the already completed reissue of School's out and most likely another old groupalbum. It's shelved until ???
It don't have to be only Alice Coopergroup albums. There are plenty outtakes from Trash and the other albums. But give us something special. Do we have to wait until he's dead ??
I know it might sound frustrated and I kinda am but I think why not. There is a market for the hot sauce / statues etc and that's ok for me but please don't forget the MUSICfans.

Mark Wahlberg
Trash
Trash

Post by Mark Wahlberg » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 pm

I also agree with Saint & Padre. And Mestreech, for that matter!
I gave up expecting anything from that standpoint.
I'm not interested in vinyl reissues. I don't even have a turntable anymore.
But I doubt Alice really has a say in all this. I think he doesn't care. No, wait. I'm SURE he doesn't care! Ha ha!
Thing is, I'm totally fine with it. Got over it.

As for the sauce and colouring books, I don't care. Not for me. I'm in it for the music, that's all.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:33 am

I didn't intend to come off so bitterly, but, why string people along for decades? Unreleased tracks were unreleased for a reason - they didn't make the grade. The original releases on plain black vinyl are fine. My biggest gripe is that throwing the original group a bone every few years seems cruel. Make a proper group album and let it stand or fall on it's own merits. Leave the Hollywood scenesters back in Hollywood for TMZ to feast upon. They'll be alright.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Mark Wahlberg
Trash
Trash

Post by Mark Wahlberg » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Amen to that, Padre.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Here's my billion dollar idea: the ALICE COOPER POOPER SCOOPER. "Be the first on your block!" "Amaze your friends!"
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:46 pm

As has been explained many times over the years, Alice has no say in reissues of material. The labels own the music. They decide what to do with it. It's easy for the labels to license it out for some vinyl reissue---they have to do nothing, and they get some of the money. It's up to the labels to decide what to do with the (older) music. And those labels (currently) see no profit in doing something. The end.

Alice and Shep also have little to nothing to do with the coloring book, the hot sauces, etc. People come to them and say, "I want to make a coloring book, and I want it to be legal and authorized," and a deal is made. The coloring book creator posted as much on Facebook. Alice didn't suddenly say one day, "Hey, I think there should be an Alice cooper coloring book!" The coloring book creator approached Alice and his management about it.

And many, but not all, of the things Alice has licensed his name and image to have been fundraisers, like the milk campaign and the Solid Rock fundraising things.

Even something like a Blu-ray release of a recent show has all kinds of legal hurdles because of the music ownership issues. It's why the Paris Blu-ray/DVD release is missing the "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" piece of "School's Out."

We can all be frustrated by it, but your ire should be directed at the labels who own the material.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:00 am

thanks for this clarification. I too was rather annoyed with all these things appearing, but somewhere I thought/hoped it would be for a good cause...but still, in my mind I'd rather see no association with Alice and milk or whatever not music-linked..
you really wouldn't understand..

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:06 pm

We can all be frustrated by it, but your ire should be directed at the labels who own the material.
I appreciate the labels own it but equally i dont quite buy that warners, sony etc are not interested in re-releasing it and milking money. Given the proliferation of "special editions" and box sets etc that are being released of , lets face it, less than stellar selling records you would think something like trash and hey stoopid would be no brainers and both have a huge amount of demos and unreleased songs.
Also when im told by certain record companies they have asked to do various albums of alice they were refused so i dont think it is all down to the record labels. I find it very hard to believe a good special edition of something like trash wouldnt sell and sony are a company who LOVE to make money (not that they are very good at that right now) and milk things to oblivion. I get WB isnt interested in say zipper catches skin deluxe version but why wouldnt you milk trash , hey stoopid or even constrictor/raise your fist. very little effort would result in a good package that would sell the the hard core. do a print run accordingly and price it right. boom.
still at least i can buy a colouring book......

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:49 pm

Rhino Records are now a subsidiary of WB.
They were acquired by WB because they did it right!
Executives at WB (or whomever in these corporate days) control the Masters
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:47 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:06 pm
Given the proliferation of "special editions" and box sets etc that are being released of , lets face it, less than stellar selling records you would think something like trash and hey stoopid would be no brainers and both have a huge amount of demos and unreleased songs.
Someone at the label has to know who Alice Cooper is and decide that they might be able to make some money. Just because we're Alice Cooper fans doesn't mean that some exec at WB knows---or cares---who Alice Cooper is (and, more importantly, doesn't believe that anyone else knows or cares).
Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:06 pm
Also when im told by certain record companies they have asked to do various albums of alice they were refused so i dont think it is all down to the record labels.
Who asked? Maybe they didn't offer enough money (big enough split) to the label? Or maybe the label had never heard of the company that asked? Who knows? There are any number of reasons that a label might not license something out to another company---including the possibility that they just don't care enough to investigate whether or not it's worth whatever hassle it is to the label.