Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Devon, Shoesalesman

Post Reply
User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Rock10
Trash
Trash
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by Rock10 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:40 am

That's not rock and roll to not be there when the guitar player is laying down the parts. Alice didn't meet him until 18 years later. It's almost like the album is half the producer's album.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by rgallie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm

If Alice was there I am sure he would have went "yeah i like it lets use it". The fact he was not there, had he not liked it, I am sure he would asked for it to be redone....However it was recorded it is one of his stongest solo albums imo.

Pretty sure a lot of band record like that, Motley Crue comes to mind.

Rock10
Trash
Trash
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by Rock10 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm

rgallie wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm
If Alice was there I am sure he would have went "yeah i like it lets use it". The fact he was not there, had he not liked it, I am sure he would asked for it to be redone....However it was recorded it is one of his stongest solo albums imo.

Pretty sure a lot of band record like that, Motley Crue comes to mind.
Motley Crue play to tracks live.

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1239
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Motley Crue sucks!

Babysquid
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by Babysquid » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:01 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:35 pm
Motley Crue sucks!
😂

Babysquid
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by Babysquid » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm
rgallie wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm
If Alice was there I am sure he would have went "yeah i like it lets use it". The fact he was not there, had he not liked it, I am sure he would asked for it to be redone....However it was recorded it is one of his stongest solo albums imo.

Pretty sure a lot of band record like that, Motley Crue comes to mind.
Motley Crue play to tracks live.
I’m sure a lot of bands record remotely now when necessary. It’s not always possible to get everyone together in a room and it’s not always convenient. Also contrary to popular belief having a group cut “live” doesn’t always mean the track will sound better, everyone is different and some bands are terrible live anyway! As Rgallie says if the record is good the process is largely irrelevant (unless you’re a bit of a studio nerd).

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:28 am

Babysquid wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:11 pm
Rock10 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm
rgallie wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm
If Alice was there I am sure he would have went "yeah i like it lets use it". The fact he was not there, had he not liked it, I am sure he would asked for it to be redone....However it was recorded it is one of his stongest solo albums imo.

Pretty sure a lot of band record like that, Motley Crue comes to mind.
Motley Crue play to tracks live.
I’m sure a lot of bands record remotely now when necessary. It’s not always possible to get everyone together in a room and it’s not always convenient. Also contrary to popular belief having a group cut “live” doesn’t always mean the track will sound better, everyone is different and some bands are terrible live anyway! As Rgallie says if the record is good the process is largely irrelevant (unless you’re a bit of a studio nerd).
As to your point Professionals can listen to a backing track & find the groove. But, the action of playing together allows the players to feed off of each other. Much like a "Live" performance in front of an audience. Also, the technical difficulties that arise from players in close proximity. Bleed through & dropped accents & player logistics have lead to this "sterile" way of recording. :/
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:37 am

I don't think the recording or writing of Brutal Planet would have been improved much had they all been in the room at the same time. That kind of 'industrial' nu-metal needed to be quite 'cold' in it's execution anyway.

The same can't be said of Along Came a Spider though (in my opinion). I felt that album never really got further than the studio and would have benefitted greatly by the songs being fleshed out and trimmed in a rehearsal environment.

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:45 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:37 am
I don't think the recording or writing of Brutal Planet would have been improved much had they all been in the room at the same time. That kind of 'industrial' nu-metal needed to be quite 'cold' in it's execution anyway.

The same can't be said of Along Came a Spider though (in my opinion). I felt that album never really got further than the studio and would have benefitted greatly by the songs being fleshed out and trimmed in a rehearsal environment.
That's an expensive endeavor to get together & rehearse.
With AC's touring schedule I think it "was" hard to fit in Studio time or rehearsal's to "Flesh" much out.
We don't hear AC trying out "New" material "Live" anymore. Most of the "New" material has been recorded & released.Younger bands get to work on their material "Live" & cherry pick what works (or not). If they're lucky enough to land a recording contract. They're at the mercy of a Producer who could select more "Covers" than originals. The Sophomore effort is usually the test that if the Band was writing well they would have enough Top Flight Originals to get to that 3rd record option in their contract.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Re: Phil X talks about and demonstrates some of his guitar playing on the Brutal Planet album

Post by Devon » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Sorry for the late reply - I just wanted to add I think some here might be in for a rude awakening at how often this happens, even with Alice Cooper albums. My impression is Alice trusts the actual music recording to the producer and the musicians to handle for the most part, being generally aware of how the song will go during the writing stage. He has final say, obviously, but there's technically not a reason for him to be in the studio to hear everything being recorded at that time, like it or not.

Ace Frehley gave an interview on Eddie Trunk a few years ago where he was talking about making the Destroyer album (I think) and said something along the lines of there was no reason for him to be in the studio when Gene was laying down a vocal or bass, so he would go out on the town. And he's right, there's technically not. Granted, this is a slightly different situation since that was a band effort, but Alice doesn't come across as a control freak either even if it's his name on the albums. So in this instance, do you think Alice wants to listen to drums being tracked all day? Zzzzzzz.

This interview conducted by this site might give you a little insight, at least for "Along Came A Spider" of the writing and recording process where the producers seemingly had a lot of control over the recording and would send it off to Alice to hear and give notes.
https://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/12-inter ... ly2008.php

I'd also recommend you check out the documentary "Hired Gun" as well.

Post Reply