Touring band to feature on next album!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Touring band to feature on next album!

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Maaki wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:44 pm
It would be great to see. I very much doubt it as long as Ezrin is producing. He has never been shy to just replace the stuff played by actual band members with the parts played by his own guys. He has always done it and often not been too straight about it, either. I have ranted enough on this before. Ezrin should be kept far and away from the project if the idea is to have the touring band play on a record. Now, the fact that some of Ezrin's guys over the years have been great is another matter, because most of them are not steve hunters by a long shot. Just people that he apparently finds easier to work with. Total guitar listed the 100 best guitar players in the world in June 2020. In the category of best guitarists right now, there is a familiar name on the very top spot. Ezrin won't bat an eyelash to replace her with a bored studio cat and he will be proud to have done it.

Which studio cats are you referring to?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm

patrick wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:36 pm
I am just a simple listener and so I don't understand all this Ezrin bashing....
When Alice always is full of praise for him calling him the george martin..could he be so wrong ?
Not sure what a simple listener is. You have ears don't you? People have opinions. You don't have to agree with them.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:18 am

Let's create a Change.org to keep Ezrin away from the new album for music's sake please!

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:44 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm
Maaki wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:44 pm
It would be great to see. I very much doubt it as long as Ezrin is producing. He has never been shy to just replace the stuff played by actual band members with the parts played by his own guys. He has always done it and often not been too straight about it, either. I have ranted enough on this before. Ezrin should be kept far and away from the project if the idea is to have the touring band play on a record. Now, the fact that some of Ezrin's guys over the years have been great is another matter, because most of them are not steve hunters by a long shot. Just people that he apparently finds easier to work with. Total guitar listed the 100 best guitar players in the world in June 2020. In the category of best guitarists right now, there is a familiar name on the very top spot. Ezrin won't bat an eyelash to replace her with a bored studio cat and he will be proud to have done it.
Which studio cats are you referring to?
Who even knows? I guess Bob might if he remembers them all. It's all over different memoirs of the bands Ezrin has produced and - quite frankly - with your knowledge you know it too so are you just trying to troll again? But f.ex. Hunter and Wagner were two, not that they weren't great. For example on Train Kept A Rolling that Joe Perry received much praise for his playing, the actual guitars are played by Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner. As we found out years and years later.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am

Sorry I thought you were talking about just Alice and recently.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:46 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:18 am
Let's create a Change.org to keep Ezrin away from the new album for music's sake please!
Recall Ezrin!. Hmnn.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am

My personal preference for the next album would be to let the band write and record it. Get Tommy to produce it. As much as I love Ezrin, I do feel he's too heavy handed with his production and doesn't place enough faith in the band. He relies on his friends and session players and I do feel it's time that the band were allowed to spread their wings. I'd love to see what kind of music they could come up with as they're all phenomenal players.

Plus, i'm of the opinion that Eyes was the last great album from Alice and that was very much a touring band album.

Not being down on Ezrin, would just like a change. I enjoy DS and some of the tracks are very good indeed ($1000 high heel shoes is my favourite).

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:53 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:23 pm
I love how the day after the release of a record, details of a completely new one is announced.
Yeah, that's incredibly exciting for the fans! In the last couple of years we had A Paranormal evening, Breadcrumbs, Don't give up, Live at the Apollo, DS and hopefully a brand new album by a 73 yo legend. Can't be more amazing than that

James Livewire
Trash
Trash

Post by James Livewire » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 pm

alicefannor wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am
The Eyes of AC and Dirty Diamonds are certainly good reasons to give the touring band a shot at making a studio album

I'm unsure of the writing dynamics of the current band though...

100% Agree.

James Livewire
Trash
Trash

Post by James Livewire » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Plus, i'm of the opinion that Eyes was the last great album from Alice and that was very much a touring band album.

Again, i am of the same opinion and really love the fact that on the Eyes album, the music doesnt sound like its had the equivalent (in the photo world) of way too much skin smoothing on a model on using photoshop.. and you can hear the treble and punchy kicks and its not just flat sounding like everything after DD (give or take)

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:34 pm

I hope the sound is modernized a bit. Alice should let the band sound as they want to and not try to restrain them to a classic rock sound. Everything after W2MN has been an embarassment...let us never forget the butchering of Whole Lotta Love and Heroes. (Depeche Mode's version is far, far superior.)

And for god's sake, enough of the covers. Alice should never have been a nostalgia act, I've lost so much faith in him ever making another decent record that doesn't cater to the dinosaurs who just can't shut up about the ACG, or constanty hearing about how great and glorius the detroit scene/sound was.

Im sorry but, even if the touring band will be more involved I just don't think Alice is capable of making anything good anymore. It's not just Ezrin people, Some of the fault does like with the inceptor of the ideas.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:45 pm

I think it is the right thing to do, and I don’t understand why it took so long. It’s not some bright, clever, or enlightening idea to realize that a band that is playing together constantly will be a tighter unit and that rehearsing and building on riffs as that unit will make more cohesive songs. That being said, I am not very excited by the prospect of this happening.

While I like Eyes and Dirty Diamonds, I also see those in a much different light than this possible album. For one, those albums were recorded during a period that the garage rock revival was a current trend, and it was smart for one of the influences on that trend to return to a sound that hearkened back to and also embraced the modern aspects of that trends to remind people that he was there in the beginning and had not disappeared.

And this is what leads to my lack of excitement for this potential project, for one, I do not see this lineup as being nearly as great as the Roxie, Garric, Dover, Singer, Zigzag lineup. And don’t say Nita is a better guitar player. She is indeed great at the Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen thing. That style of guitar playing does not interest me one bit though. I will take Wayne Kramer, Steve Hunter, or Roxie’s more “basic,” yet much more expressive/soulful style any day.

What worries me more than the lineup though, is that this will be a return to the Alice of the 80s that was a second-rate version of the current trends of that moment, and I have no desire to hear Alice performing music that sounds like the atrocious current trends of modern rock/metal.

I hope that I am wrong and that they put out a badass album, but even though I think they deserve the opportunity, I just don’t expect it to be anything that I will like.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:50 pm

I am very excited about the prospect of this and I hope the band is allowed to flat out rock. I want to hear Nita Shred and I would love to hear Chuck write like he does with Beasto Blanco. I am hoping for a much heavier sounding album than the last several. I actually would love to hear sort of a combination of Raise Your Fist and Yell, The Last Temptation, and Brutal Planet all rolled into one album. I am tired of the garage rock sound and the original band on a couple of songs is starting to be overdone in my opinion. It was a great moment and that isn't meant as a criticism but I am wanting to see Alice move forward

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:50 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am
I was talking about Ezrin over the times I thought it was pretty clear there but, I do fail at the details in English often enough to understand that it is most likely my mistake. Sorry.

Still, Ezrin has always swapped players, it seems to be a core method of his. All this you know far far better than I do, that much I have gathered from your posts here. In between snide remarks and generally being mean to everyone, it's completely clear that you know your stuff. Many producers replace players, but I am not aware of anyone but Ezrin doing it all the time every time. If it was the OG record he would replace Dennis' bass with his own or some friend of his.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:47 pm

Maaki wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:50 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am
I was talking about Ezrin over the times I thought it was pretty clear there but, I do fail at the details in English often enough to understand that it is most likely my mistake. Sorry.

Still, Ezrin has always swapped players, it seems to be a core method of his. All this you know far far better than I do, that much I have gathered from your posts here. In between snide remarks and generally being mean to everyone, it's completely clear that you know your stuff. Many producers replace players, but I am not aware of anyone but Ezrin doing it all the time every time. If it was the OG record he would replace Dennis' bass with his own or some friend of his.

Thank you for the compliments! Best laugh I've had all day! Snide comments. Me? I see your point about Bob. Quite why Dennis doesn't play on Drunk when he co wrote it is very odd.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 pm

Maaki I really don't know my stuff either. Si mocked me for not knowing the name of a " roadie " from 50 odd years ago.

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:30 pm

The next album should be called "Road Rage" or, if they want to make a spiritual sequel "Road Stories"

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:45 pm

Ezrin needs to go!!! I was so excited when they started working with each other again but soon realized Ezrin is not the same as he once was and is also straight up extremely out of touch. He continuously steers Alice in the wrong direction and Alice is always ready to follow his direction, possibly out of respect for what he did for the band 40/50 years ago.
I first realized this when he got Alice to switch directions on Welcome 2 My Nightmare. The first song written was "Under My Bed" which is the direction Alice wanted to take in and quite frankly what I'm sure most fans were expecting. I still think that is one of if not the best songs off the album (I know it's a bonus) yet Ezrin doesn't seem to like Alice doing his spooky type songs (even though it's a sequel to WTMN) and convinced Alice to turn it into an unfocused mess that far more resembles a Weird Al like comedy album than a sequel to WTMN.

Ever since then he's dropped the ball by not having Alice use his incredible touring band and it's been nothing but "that old Detroit sound" and mediocre cover songs. Even if the new band does record the next album I can't say I'm too thrilled with the whole "Road" concept. But at least they will be used.

When I say Alice should work with Rick Rubin it's because Rick knows how to get the best out of a band. Instead of trying too hard to sound like the past he usually tells a band to imagine they had just recorded a certain classic album and instead of specifically trying to sound like that, imagine what you would do next. He gives them a direction, and knows how to cut out the week parts and bring out their strength. He also doesn't get too involved. I know some have bashed him for that, but I honestly think that's one of the things that makes it work the most. Give a band a certain direction, make sure they stay on course but at the same time let them do their own thing without too much interference. If it happens to sound like an earlier era than that's great because it happened naturally, if it also is a natural evolution than that's great too.

I will always respect what Ezrin did with Alice in the past, but that was a long, long time ago and as I said, he's completely out of touch these days.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

texas or canada?
Trash
Trash

Post by texas or canada? » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:14 pm

If they do run with this idea to record the album live in a theatre with an audience present... (I know it sounds far fetched but let's imagine they do commit to this risky strategy....)
Couple Questions:
1) Has any other band in history done that? Recorded an album of 100% new material in a concert setting and then released it as a hybrid studio-live album?
2) Presumably the budget for editing, mixing, mastering this LP would be higher than on a normal live record, so could we expect it to sound better than recent live releases? (Not that those releases sound at all bad... but they don't have the polish or punch you expect from a studio LP)
a stumbling demented child-king

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Two that I can think of off the top of my head are Ted Nugent’s Intensities In Ten Cities, and Neil Young’s Rust Never Sleeps which was mostly recorded during live shows, but the audience was mostly edited out, and there are a couple studio tracks from other sessions.