Touring band to feature on next album!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Touring band to feature on next album!

Post by Si » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:18 am

alicefannor wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am
The Eyes of AC and Dirty Diamonds are certainly good reasons to give the touring band a shot at making a studio album

I'm unsure of the writing dynamics of the current band though...
Bottom line is I think the touring band DESERVE a shot at writing/recording an album with Alice. Especially Chuck and Ryan have been very loyal to Alice for decades and have relatively little to show for it in terms of albums credits.
Will it result in the album that appeals to everyone? Maybe or maybe not, but they obviously want to do it and have done for a long time, and they've been playing the classics for so long they could have some insight into what makes a great AC song. At this stage of the game there's nothing to lose.
I hope/feel that the chemistry between this group of players *could* result in something really special, and with an album designed to showcase how good the band are could even give us something bigger (more Prog?) then the 3 minute single oriented material that has dominated for the last few records. A new 'Halo', 'Steven' or or 'Black Juju' even..
Hey I can dream... and regularly do!!!

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm

In the band meeting Roxie also asked Bob about the solo on Don't Give Up, sounded like he had recorded one but didn't know if it had ended up on the album. Am I reading that correctly?
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 pm

Swinger wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm
In the band meeting Roxie also asked Bob about the solo on Don't Give Up, sounded like he had recorded one but didn't know if it had ended up on the album. Am I reading that correctly?
Yeah, heard this also. I haven't seen Ryan's names on any credits, although there is a solo on the album version of Don't Give Up. The reaction or more the non-reaction from Alice and (particularly) Bob seemed to suggest it wasn't used and the solo is indeed performed by somebody else. I definitely feel Ryan would have known this (as Nita said they had their copies early). It felt like Ryan was trying to make it a little bit awkward for Bob. Although they did their best to hide it you can tell there is an element of frustration particulalry with the likes of Ryan and Chuck that they seemed to get overlooked. Both have clearly demonstrated ability to write their own music with their respective solo work and bands.
As people have pointed out the camaraderie they have on stage is second to none. I actually watched the Paris Blu-ray last night for the first time and I have to say its up their with Live at Montreux and Trashes The World for sound and production.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 pm
Swinger wrote:
Yeah, heard this also. I haven't seen Ryan's names on any credits, although there is a solo on the album version of Don't Give Up. The reaction or more the non-reaction from Alice and (particularly) Bob seemed to suggest it wasn't used and the solo is indeed performed by somebody else.
The solo on the album version is Steve Hunter.

I just found it curious that it seemed like Roxie hade been asked to record a solo but didn't know if it had been included or not. But yeah, that might have been on purpose to make it awkward for Bob, why else would he have brought it up? I just thought maybe he hadn't listened to/looked at the album yet.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 pm

Swinger wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 pm
bigbradwolf wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 pm
Swinger wrote:
Yeah, heard this also. I haven't seen Ryan's names on any credits, although there is a solo on the album version of Don't Give Up. The reaction or more the non-reaction from Alice and (particularly) Bob seemed to suggest it wasn't used and the solo is indeed performed by somebody else.

I just found it curious that it seemed like Roxie hade been asked to record a solo but didn't know if it had been included or not. But yeah, that might have been on purpose to make it awkward for Bob, why else would he have brought it up? I just thought maybe he hadn't listened to/looked at the album yet.
I'm surprised none of them commented on favourite tracks - guessing none of them had listened to it yet

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:11 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 pm
I'm surprised none of them commented on favourite tracks - guessing none of them had listened to it yet
I think they probably have. Nita sad they got copies a couple of weeks ago. I would guess it just didn't occur to them.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Swinger wrote:
Steve posted video of it on Facebook today.

Steve Hunter playing the solo for "Hanging On By A Thread"

He also posted this video of his solo from "Rock And Roll":

Steve Hunter playing the solo for "Rock And Roll"

Hunter

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:34 pm

“The reaction or more the non-reaction from Alice and (particularly) Bob”

I’m sure Bob actually mumbled a “no it wasn’t” or something like that response a few seconds later at the end of another point he was trying to make.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:02 am

This is really exciting if it actually happens! :clap:
"I'm just another case…”

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:37 am

SickThings wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:48 pm
Swinger wrote:
Steve posted video of it on Facebook today.

Steve Hunter playing the solo for "Hanging On By A Thread"

He also posted this video of his solo from "Rock And Roll":

Steve Hunter playing the solo for "Rock And Roll"

Hunter
Thanks for sharing. Not sure if he was on the single version but that solo grabbed me immediately when I heard it on the album. Love his style and guitar tone.

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:35 am

Steve Hunter great as usual!
I too had the impression that it felt awkward for the both band and AC to talk about DS.
Bob seemed to be in for the idea of the whole band, surely they had discussed that

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:28 am

I’m going to focus on the positive and hope the work on the new album brings them all even closer together to produce a real gem.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:44 am

Dragontown wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:35 am
Bob seemed to be in for the idea of the whole band, surely they had discussed that
Yes they knew. Chuck mentioned he had already been writing material for it

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:34 am

watched the band meeting thing yesterday...
the whole ezrin/band/album thing was a bit awkward.

I get the sense that the band wants to be involved, and that Ezrin calls the shots on who's playing or not.
While most of them are diplomatic about it, Roxy is clearly a bit more upset about it, even though he laughs it off.
The "just tag Ezrin and you'll get on the album" joke that ran through the entire video speaks volumes imo.

I'd be interested to know the dynamics between Ezrin / Alice on this. Either Ezrin has the final say, or Alice just says some things out loud to be nice to the band :)

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:23 pm

alicefannor wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:34 am
While most of them are diplomatic about it, Roxy is clearly a bit more upset about it, even though he laughs it off.
The "just tag Ezrin and you'll get on the album" joke that ran through the entire video speaks volumes imo.
Yes, It’s as if the guy who played the solo on Social Debris hadn’t spent years playing the instrument and came up with a great solo.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:18 pm

Nita has said that the idea was confirmed to them a while ago (but it was not supposed to be announced until some songs were ready apparently)

I long for this album so much!

This is the best direction AC could've taken. I honestly thought it wouldn't happen

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:58 pm

I hope they get a chance to write and record a new album with Alice. They are a very tight and talented group. I’m tired of the revolving door of musicians and writers on so many of Alice’s solo work. The possibility that the next release will be different is exciting because it was very obvious from that band meeting that they have a real chemistry. And chemistry is the secret ingredient that makes band’s special. Not the superstar hotshot brought in for a couple of parts.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:23 pm

I love how the day after the release of a record, details of a completely new one is announced.

Whilst Ezrin was quick to mention how the project can change, I'm sure they want as much freedom to experiment, collaborate and work out the details without the weight of expectations of fans on their shoulders. Give them room to move around and develop the idea.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:44 pm

It would be great to see. I very much doubt it as long as Ezrin is producing. He has never been shy to just replace the stuff played by actual band members with the parts played by his own guys. He has always done it and often not been too straight about it, either. I have ranted enough on this before. Ezrin should be kept far and away from the project if the idea is to have the touring band play on a record. Now, the fact that some of Ezrin's guys over the years have been great is another matter, because most of them are not steve hunters by a long shot. Just people that he apparently finds easier to work with. Total guitar listed the 100 best guitar players in the world in June 2020. In the category of best guitarists right now, there is a familiar name on the very top spot. Ezrin won't bat an eyelash to replace her with a bored studio cat and he will be proud to have done it.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:36 pm

I am just a simple listener and so I don't understand all this Ezrin bashing....
When Alice always is full of praise for him calling him the george martin..could he be so wrong ?
you really wouldn't understand..