1975 Russell Harty Interview

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

1975 Russell Harty Interview

Post by VinceRaven » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:07 pm

I see this has appeared on YouTube. I don't think I've seen it before as I'd surely have remembered Alice's hideous trousers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6DT4-1b9E

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: 1975 Russell Harty Interview

Post by Si » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 pm

VinceRaven wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:07 pm
I see this has appeared on YouTube. I don't think I've seen it before as I'd surely have remembered Alice's hideous trousers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6DT4-1b9E
It showed up about a week ago, and then the account was deleted, so watch it now in case it's removed again!

This has been a kinda holy grail of Alice interviews. Alice has described it as his favourite ever interview,.
We've only had an off air audio recording of it before now. Amazing it's suddenly appeared and in excellent quality.
Just goes to show you never know what will show up.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:40 pm

This is EXCELLENT!
"I'm just another case…”

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:10 pm

That was very interesting. The chair squeaking would have been
much more annoying in an audio only format.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 pm

I'm guessing this was only shown in the South of England as I had no knowledge of it at the time. It's a great interview as Alice seems relaxed and is not on autopilot. Was Harty gay? Alice makes that comment about make up.

The quality is excellent too which makes me think it is not from a private collection and may have been procured at the source.

I'm also guessing this was the only showing of the Dept of Youth video in the UK at that time. I

Is there a date for this? Obviously after the English shows which were early Sept.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:07 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 pm
Is there a date for this? Obviously after the English shows which were early Sept.
Sept 9th '75 Alice leaves Munich on the 9th, a day earlier then planned so that he can appear on the 'Russell Harty' show in the UK (which Alice described in Me, Alice as his best TV interview) only to be stopped at customs for an unpaid hotel bill. Apparently the hotel wanted them to pay for an extra day despite the fact they weren't going to be there.
When they finally arrived at Heathrow, one of the dancers exited the plane in the full Cyclops costume much to the amusement of the people at immigration who called him Mr. Clops.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:33 am

Thanks for that. I was thinking Liverpool was Sept 4 and not the 14th!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Cool video clip. I will always wonder if they gave away too many trade secrets back then. In this interview, he basically tells his audience that they're being manipulated. I wonder if, had there been some mystique, some things left unsaid, that the whole AC thing may have had a different impact? It's all academic, I know. I get that there was a fine line, as well. Back then, the press was just about the only way to get in front of people. How do you promote yourself, make yourself available, and still have mystique? Either way, this is a cool interview, even if it was a bit dry! Thanks for sharing.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 pm

You can still watch it here
https://youtu.be/RDEkQMKNwR8
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:06 pm

It's interesting how Alice here discusses that he's 'playing a character' and the audience knows that.

Yet, he blamed much of his alcohol and substance abuse problems on not being able to separate himself from the Alice character.

This is 1975 and he wouldn't get sober until 8-9 years later.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:08 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:06 pm
It's interesting how Alice here discusses that he's 'playing a character' and the audience knows that.

Yet, he blamed much of his alcohol and substance abuse problems on not being able to separate himself from the Alice character.

This is 1975 and he wouldn't get sober until 8-9 years later.
Just because he was saying it in 1975 doesn't mean he was successfully doing it, just that he acknowledged it was a problem.

ianmac
Trash
Trash

Post by ianmac » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:50 pm

[/quote]

Sept 9th '75 Alice leaves Munich on the 9th, a day earlier then planned so that he can appear on the 'Russell Harty' show in the UK (which Alice described in Me, Alice as his best TV interview).
[/quote]

I found it interesting that although the tv appearance was recorded prior to the London and Liverpool shows, Alice still says the London and Liverpool audiences were great !

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:38 pm

ianmac wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:50 pm
Sept 9th '75 Alice leaves Munich on the 9th, a day earlier then planned so that he can appear on the 'Russell Harty' show in the UK (which Alice described in Me, Alice as his best TV interview).
[/quote]

I found it interesting that although the tv appearance was recorded prior to the London and Liverpool shows, Alice still says the London and Liverpool audiences were great !
[/quote]

Ah that was what was throwing me. What is going on there?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:46 pm

ianmac wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:38 pm
Show was pre-recorded on Sept 9th, the only day Alice was available to do it.
It actually aired on Oct 17th AFTER the shows.
Alice is a professional and knew this, so spoke in the past tense to make it seem like he was there live on the show that night.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:12 am

It is a fair comment as well, I dont know about Liverpool but would have played to London before so he can make that statement and its not completely false

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:11 am

Si wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:46 pm
ianmac wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:38 pm
Show was pre-recorded on Sept 9th, the only day Alice was available to do it.
It actually aired on Oct 17th AFTER the shows.
Alice is a professional and knew this, so spoke in the past tense to make it seem like he was there live on the show that night.

Thanks for that.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:45 pm

rgallie wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:12 am
It is a fair comment as well, I dont know about Liverpool but would have played to London before so he can make that statement and its not completely false
Alice had previously played London w/the ACG in 1971 and '72 but not Liverpool so I agree with rgallie's comment.

Ted