"Alice Cooper's Anonymous" early 80's fanzine

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: "Alice Cooper's Anonymous" early 80's fanzine

Post by Jason » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:35 pm

I'd for sure like to read this stuff again. I actually came across this years back. I remember it being very informative, detailed and well written, really good read. Thanks again Andy.

It would be like if there was an old documentary on Alice that was rare and hard to find, I'd still want to watch it, despite knowing the history (quite a bit via this site - thanks Si!) and what has followed since.

At very minimum, it serves a historical purpose.
"Same as always, different as ever"

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:14 am

Just been reading through this thread. Man i would love to read these, not for the info but as others have said for the historical perspective. It must of been so exciting in the days before the net waiting to get your latest issue through the letter box. I sometimes think i was born too late. Anyway did these ever end up being posted online anywhere ive had a look but cant find anything.
Boomshanka

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:08 am

>Anyway did these ever end up being posted online anywhere ive had a look but cant find anything.

I did rather reluctantly give permission for someone to put them up on his site but fortunately, I don't think that site still exists.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:28 am

That's a real pity. Sounds like they would of been a great read.
Boomshanka

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:14 am

A fanzine about Alice in the early 80's would have been a godsend in my darkened hole in Glasgow at that time. I remember getting excited at a letter in the Sunday Mail from an angry reader complaining at fans of Adam Ant who had never heard of Alice Cooper, and there was a small picture, succour for the needy, as a reviewer once said. As to the errors, that is part of the charm, the way a small scratch in vinyl became part of the song. This would be fantastic to read. ps I also remember getting excited that someone had Graffited a large ALICE COOPER on the wall of the local Morrisons (safeway in those days) that's maybe irrelevant but shows just how desperate we all were for any Alice info in those days and here there was someone keeping the flame alive. Brilliant.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:32 am

>A fanzine about Alice in the early 80's would have been a godsend in my darkened hole in Glasgow at that time.

There were adverts in "Kerrang!" and "Sounds" (I think).

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Man I wish I knew about these fanzines back in the day. I was rather young so my only source of music news was mags like Creem & Circus. And there was nothing on Alice in the early 80's. I mean I had no idea Zipper Catches Skin and DaDa were ever released. I assumed he retired. I picked up a copy of the Encyclopedia Of Rock in 84 and that's when I found out about ZCS and DaDa. And it was still hard to track them down. And I use to work in a record store back then. It was almost like he vanished. I would have definitely subscribed to a fanzine if I knew it existed. Would love to see one someday.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 am

There were adverts in "Kerrang!" and "Sounds" (I think).
"Sounds" for sure, that's where I discovered it and 'signed up' for every copy - it was a 'godsend' at a time when there was NOTHING on AC in the UK at least!!

I'm not being funny, but where have some of you people been? A lot of you have never seen a lot of the clips on You Tube - is this a whole new audience?

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:15 am

I think there are a lot of new fans here now and since Alice has a history of over 40 years so it can take time for people to discover everything.
Boomshanka

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:22 pm

I remember the getting to grips with constrictor pull out being the last one I think?

I was so blown away with the fanzine I bought the company (excuse the Victor Kiam pun) but the back issues got lost in the post. Being in contact with someone that knew even more than me about Alice Cooper was great (Andy will probably remember talking to me on the phone before my witness protection programme!).

Andy there is a horses head in your bed if you don't give permission for this historical archive from the most knowledgeable Alice fan on the planet to go online.

I echo the sentiments of it being the missing link between the music press and the Internet, take a bow.

:clap:
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:13 pm

>I remember the getting to grips with constrictor pull out being the last one I think?

That has been removed from my memory, it seems.

> but the back issues got lost in the post.

I don't remember that.

> (Andy will probably remember talking to me on the phone before my witness protection programme!).

I genuinely don't!

>don't give permission for this historical archive from the most knowledgeable Alice fan on the planet to go online.

In all seriousness, it has been has been replaced with the sheer amount of information (not just text but footage and audio) that exists on - line and on this site and one or two others as well. There is almost no piece of information about Alice Cooper (that has already been reported) that cannot be found on - line, so I don't think anyone who has never seen the fanzine will be missing out on anything. I definitely appreciate the kind words though and I thought I had given Si permission to do something along the lines people are asking for. Again, there is nothing in the fanzines that cannot be found somewhere else (unless your desperate to read about the day I first met Alice, or something).

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 pm

it was a long time ago and you must have come into contact with hundreds of fans my memory is good for the past though I can't remember what I did last week!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:43 am

I think there are a lot of new fans here now and since Alice has a history of over 40 years so it can take time for people to discover everything.
So I gather, I didn't appreciate that - I forget how 'old' I am sometimes you know!!! ::((:

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:32 am

Gunner wrote:
So I gather, I didn't appreciate that - I forget how 'old' I am sometimes you know!!! ::((:
I'm only 29 and I already know some younger Alice fans who can't believe that I'm 'old' enough to have seen the Brutal Planet tour :laugh:
Boomshanka

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:59 pm

That's scarey, I thought BP was the third or fourth Alice Cooper 'comeback' show that I had witnessed - the first being 'Special Forces' in 1981! Honestly, I remember watching him leave the stage at the end of that UK tour and saying to myself "That's the last time you will see Alice Cooper live"! :bam:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Gunner wrote:I remember watching him leave the stage at the end of that UK tour and saying to myself "That's the last time you will see Alice Cooper live"! :bam:
So you were wrong, as usual.

:laugh:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Gunner wrote:That's scarey, I thought BP was the third or fourth Alice Cooper 'comeback' show that I had witnessed - the first being 'Special Forces' in 1981! Honestly, I remember watching him leave the stage at the end of that UK tour and saying to myself "That's the last time you will see Alice Cooper live"! :bam:
1981, thats the year i was born!! I sometimes wish i was born sooner so i could of went to all these groovy tours.
Boomshanka

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:17 am

I think I have every issue of Alice Cooper's Anonymous. I saw an advert for the fanzine in either Sounds or Kerrang! (I used to get both) and sent away for the first issue. As has been said already, Alice info was fairly thin on the ground nearly 30 years ago and this fanzine was a Godsend for an Alice fan.

I am from Liverpool and whilst I was too young to go and see the screening of "We Have Come For Your Daughters" I remember the report in The Liverpool Echo of the mini riot.

Andy is correct when he says everything that was in the fanzines (and more) is available online now so just putting it up on a website (while being fun for people who do not have the fanzines) would be a bit pointless.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:13 am

Paul wrote:I think I have every issue of Alice Cooper's Anonymous. I saw an advert for the fanzine in either Sounds or Kerrang! (I used to get both) and sent away for the first issue. As has been said already, Alice info was fairly thin on the ground nearly 30 years ago and this fanzine was a Godsend for an Alice fan.

I am from Liverpool and whilst I was too young to go and see the screening of "We Have Come For Your Daughters" I remember the report in The Liverpool Echo of the mini riot.

Andy is correct when he says everything that was in the fanzines (and more) is available online now so just putting it up on a website (while being fun for people who do not have the fanzines) would be a bit pointless.
I dont really think its about the information its more about a nostalgic/historical point of view. A postcard from those days gone by when the Alice flame was bareley flickering in the mainstream but was kept alive by a dedicated few and then reignited for future generations like myself to enjoy. I find a certain romantacism in that and in a way im a little sad that i wasnt old enough to have been a part of it. The internet generation has it so easy.
Boomshanka

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:56 am

So you were wrong, as usual.
Try treating this as a discussion forum rather than a child's playground eh?