Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Re: ACG v anybody else!

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:11 pm

SKULLBOY wrote:
I remember watching/listening to them from behind the gates (front of the line!)at the same show. I thought they never actually performed [Feminine Side] on that tour. I was really hoping for it that night, though.
Yup, they definitely did perform it. I saw it live a handful of times. :)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Relates particularly to Matts comments re "smoke and mirrors"- Matt could you say a little bit more if you do believe that the original band members were not that capable live-you may well be aware of more evidence than I

off for hogmanay shortly so happy new year to all (but will look for your reply Matt-Thanks)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 pm

recoop wrote:Relates particularly to Matts comments re "smoke and mirrors"- Matt could you say a little bit more if you do believe that the original band members were not that capable live-you may well be aware of more evidence than I

off for hogmanay shortly so happy new year to all (but will look for your reply Matt-Thanks)
i did not name any names. i was only speaking in general terms.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:50 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:
SKULLBOY wrote:
I remember watching/listening to them from behind the gates (front of the line!)at the same show. I thought they never actually performed [Feminine Side] on that tour. I was really hoping for it that night, though.
Actually I do remember it now. Funny enough, the first time I saw it live was almost two weeks later in Oshkosh when you were there!
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:50 am

I think that's very unfair Matt, and in the cases of Dennis and Neal, way off the mark. Both were and are phenominal musicians.

It could be argued that Mike and Glen were not at the same standard *technically* as todays players (but more then made up for it in originality etc) but I suggest you ask the current band what they think of Dennis and Neal's playing back then.

Also remember that the original band hadn't really been playing that long, reletively, at the time of the success. Less then 10 years. Some of todays band have been playing twice that or more by the time they join Alice. It was also a different time back then and different circumstances. A group of friends forming a band rather then hiring seasoned professional players.

I do agree though that Technology wouldn`t come into it.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:55 am

SKULLBOY wrote:
NotSoPerfect wrote:
SKULLBOY wrote:
Actually I do remember it now. Funny enough, the first time I saw it live was almost two weeks later in Oshkosh when you were there!
Ok, good! I almost said that...but then couldn't remember 100% if you were at that show or not. Was pretty sure you were. LOL....see? And if you recall, Alice sang the first verse twice that show, since it was so new to the setlist! :laugh:
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Si wrote:I think that's very unfair Matt, and in the cases of Dennis and Neal, way off the mark. Both were and are phenominal musicians.
i agree. it looks as if i was making a general statement, but i quoted recoop's comment about the original band. mix-up on my part. my statement was about any musicians in general. i don't believe any technology today would make ANY musician from the 70's (for example) a better musician. there's actually a fair amount of controversy about digitally altering a singer's voice to correct for singing off-key. alice has been accused of using such a device. so has ozzy. would that make any singer a better singer? no, it merely makes them *sound* better. and that's what i was referring to as 'smoke and mirrors.'
Si wrote:but I suggest you ask the current band what they think of Dennis and Neal's playing back then.
i have had private discussions with numerous musicians that have worked with alice since 1982. all of them agreed on one thing - the songs still hold their own.
Si wrote:Also remember that the original band hadn't really been playing that long, reletively, at the time of the success. Less then 10 years. Some of todays band have been playing twice that or more by the time they join Alice. It was also a different time back then and different circumstances. A group of friends forming a band rather then hiring seasoned professional players.

I do agree though that Technology wouldn`t come into it.
i think musical styles back then were just different. that's what made up the whole 'garage band' sound. and the closest thing you had to a guitar virtuoso was jimi hendrix. does his playing style compare to john petrucci or eric johnson? no, but that wasn't the 'sound' back then.

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:37 pm

I think the original guys were great. I will always love them for writing the songs they did. I do think they were mostly drunk on stage and that may have messed up some of the concerts. I have not seen the orig band. I have only seen the same footage yall have.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the current line up. They are dedicated to Alice and I like "their style" in the show and think it should be there. I feel they want to compliment Alice, not play up their egos, And I'm happy they do other projects so we can see the real "them" doing their stuff.

As a matter of fact...I like all the musissions that have played with Alice. :clap:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 am

mattcoddington wrote:
Si wrote:I think that's very unfair Matt, and in the cases of Dennis and Neal, way off the mark. Both were and are phenominal musicians.
i agree. it looks as if i was making a general statement, but i quoted recoop's comment about the original band. mix-up on my part. my statement was about any musicians in general.
No problem. I had a feeling that might have been what you meant. It was just unclear.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm

mattcoddington wrote:
i think musical styles back then were just different. that's what made up the whole 'garage band' sound. and the closest thing you had to a guitar virtuoso was jimi hendrix. does his playing style compare to john petrucci or eric johnson? no, but that wasn't the 'sound' back then.
Do Eric Johnson and John Petrucci compare to Hendrix? No

If Hendrix was alive who do you think Alice would want on guitar?

Remember as Alice said in Golf Monster (nice photo of yours in last chapter by the way)

"I tell my guys a great guitar player isn't what he plays, it's what he doesn't play. Guys like Yngwie Malmsteen, who plays through everything, to me is not a great guitar player. A good guitar player is George Harrison, Jeff Beck, or Keith Richards. They play when it's time to play"

That is one of the resons that made Michael & Glen and then later Dick & Steve so special, coupled with the fact that Alice's best albums were made in the 1970's in no small part thanks to those guys.

I like the current band and hope to see what they can write on the forthcoming album should they get the chance.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 am

Anyone know the schedule for the new album? Jan is Coop's golf month, KK is booked in Feb. Does that mean March at the earliest, or more hired guns in the studio?
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 pm

steven_crayn wrote: Do Eric Johnson and John Petrucci compare to Hendrix? No
there's not reason they should. again, my point was there are from 2 different eras of style.
steven_crayn wrote:If Hendrix was alive who do you think Alice would want on guitar?
keri kellie and damon johnson. i don't think alice would take on such a high caliber/high profile of musician as that might take away from 'alice cooper.' i am speaking of live performances.
steven_crayn wrote:Remember as Alice said in Golf Monster (nice photo of yours in last chapter by the way)
thanks, although i can think of thousands of better photos they could have chosen! but that's another story/gripe.
steven_crayn wrote:"I tell my guys a great guitar player isn't what he plays, it's what he doesn't play. Guys like Yngwie Malmsteen, who plays through everything, to me is not a great guitar player. A good guitar player is George Harrison, Jeff Beck, or Keith Richards. They play when it's time to play"
obviously this was his opinion at the time of writing. and in true alice fashion, he contradicts himself (or merely changes his opinion.) what about kane roberts? al pitrelli? reb beach? keri kelli could be lumped in there as well, because he does tone it down for alice. keri is a very accomplished musician whose abilities far exceed that of most who have played with alice.
steven_crayn wrote:That is one of the resons that made Michael & Glen and then later Dick & Steve so special, coupled with the fact that Alice's best albums were made in the 1970's in no small part thanks to those guys.
opinion, but i understand what you're getting at.

alice loves to cite ac/dc as one of his favorite bands because their style is so 'plain' yet so effective.
steven_crayn wrote:I like the current band and hope to see what they can write on the forthcoming album should they get the chance.
i concur.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:Anyone know the schedule for the new album? Jan is Coop's golf month, KK is booked in Feb. Does that mean March at the earliest, or more hired guns in the studio?
i believe it is way too early to speculate. also, just because certain musicians have other projects going on, that doesn't mean alice can't write without them. despite whether or not alice is golfing, we all know he is capable of sitting down and writing a song in 10 mins.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:29 pm

ACAS2? Some were hoping for more with input from the touring band.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 am

It's my understanding that most of the songs that the touring band had written for the last album were not deemed to be that good, thus why most of it was scrapped. Not that the new outcome was necessarily that great, but still.
Me = Winning

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:47 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:It's my understanding that most of the songs that the touring band had written for the last album were not deemed to be that good, thus why most of it was scrapped. Not that the new outcome was necessarily that great, but still.
Really? In the Greg Hampton interview (here on sickthingsuk) it sounds more like, to me at least, they just wanted to take it in a different direction. Of course, it might have been a case of both.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:09 am

In Jimmy's interview he stated he wasn't sure they would even do a new album this year. They may wait until after the rest of this year's tour is complete.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:10 am

Swinger wrote:Really? In the Greg Hampton interview (here on sickthingsuk) it sounds more like, to me at least, they just wanted to take it in a different direction.
Well to be fair I doubt he'll come out and say "I thought the demos sucked so I had to hurry and rewrite the songs." Regardless of what one might think of his songwriting or producing abilities he is at least very cordial and diplomatic it seems.

To be honest I don't know the full story, just heard the the gist of it. Nor have I heard demos to know if they were good, bad or what. I can't really comment too much more on it unfortunately.
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:25 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:Well to be fair I doubt he'll come out and say "I thought the demos sucked so I had to hurry and rewrite the songs."
are you sure demos were even recorded?

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 pm

mattcoddington wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:Well to be fair I doubt he'll come out and say "I thought the demos sucked so I had to hurry and rewrite the songs."
are you sure demos were even recorded?
According to Greg Hampton the band had done about 20 demos prior to his involvment.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."