Most underrated and overrated AC albums.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 am

Dada - decent, but not sure why there are such strong admirers here
I think because it did 'nothing' and is as thoughtful and musical (probably more so) as Alice at his very best. It's very Cooperesque, it's just a shame it didn't have a heavier treatment on the production, otherwise it would have been an incredible piece of work. I hate to say it, but Alice seemed to work best in ideas when he was full of artificial stimulants.....maybe that's a topic for another thread!????

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 am

Most over rated - Dada, Zipper, Catches skin, Flush The Fasion, Special Forces.
Under rated - Raise Your Fist And Yell,

runarh73
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by runarh73 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:18 pm

overrated
brutal planet, i like it its just not a master pice... sorry
trash, when it came out it i loved it and it did very well for alice but i it just is not one of the best cooper albums but it could be underrated as well
underrated
muscle of love, love this album, big apple dreaming is one of my favorite cooper song and its a strong album
the last temptation, i was gonna put dada here but this album got lost in alice vs epic when he wanted out of the deal so epic did not push it like they should have, a great album

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:47 pm

>It took years for FTI to be rated as a classic Cooper album,

That depends on who was doing the rating.

>I feel that Dada and Brutal Planet will be the same.

So that you think that even after twenty - five years, there's still time for "Dada" to be considered a classic?!

Guilty
Killer
Killer

Post by Guilty » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:08 pm

overrated - constrictor
underrated - brutal planet
i'm guilty an i think i've been framed anyway

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:05 pm

I wonder if people are voting on what they actually own or what they have read?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Hobo in the Snow
Trash
Trash

Post by Hobo in the Snow » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Most underrated I have to go with The Last Temptation. Muscle of Love, Eyes of Alice Cooper

Most Overrated- not sure none of the albums have gotten the credit they deserve. Id have to go with Constrictor

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:07 pm

While I like "The Last Temptation," I find it slightly overrated myself.

Underrated - Lace and Whiskey, Flush and Dirty Diamonds!
Me = Winning

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:41 am

Oh yeah, I have to agree with you on DD, WYM.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:24 am

When Trash came out I liked it quite a bit. But when I heard Hey Stoopid...I could NOT figure out why that album was not bigger then Trash. Alice's Vocal range was very limited from Constrictor up till Stoopid. But that album was a really great display of what Alice was truly capable of.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:16 pm

runarh73 wrote: i was gonna put dada here but this album got lost in alice vs epic when he wanted out of the deal so epic did not push it like they should have, a great album
For the record, Dada was released on Warner Brothers, not on Epic. In fact, Dada was Alice's last studio album to be released on Warner Brothers.

runarh73
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by runarh73 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:16 pm

glamprincess wrote:
runarh73 wrote: i was gonna put dada here but this album got lost in alice vs epic when he wanted out of the deal so epic did not push it like they should have, a great album
For the record, Dada was released on Warner Brothers, not on Epic. In fact, Dada was Alice's last studio album to be released on Warner Brothers.
i know dada is on warner, i was talking about the last temptation and its on epic
underrated the last temptation,.. but i wanted to put dada here but this album the last temptation ..........

Luney Tune
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Luney Tune » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Most underrated : Muscle of Love. What a fantastic album. To me this is a top three album.

Most overrated album, No doubt about it, Thrash. Alice in Bon Jovi land. Don`t like it at all.
It`s all in this luney tune....

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:10 am

Most underrated: Dada, Dragontown and Lace and whiskey
Most overrated: Billion dollar babies (It's not bad. It's just very very overrated)
Trash (Too poppy and lyrically lame for my taste)

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Difficult one this, if we are just talking about lower than expected/deserved sales then for me the most underrated effort would be The Last Temption a truly classic album which should have sold bucket loads more than it did.

Most over-rated would be Trash but you cannot deny its populist appeal, our department secretary even bought it as I recall. Personally, I thought it was a bit shallow and poppy and although I really liked it at first quickly got bored of it. It has not been out for a few years now.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:26 am

Railwayman wrote:I really liked it at first quickly got bored of it. It has not been out for a few years now.
It was the same for me up to about ten years ago (the late 90s) when TRASH started to get more play on the stereo for me. But there was a period of time where it rarely got played. Now it's on weekly almost.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

rickhodge88
Trash
Trash

Post by rickhodge88 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:36 am

I'll say most overrated would be School's Out and most underrated would have to be The Last Temptation, but I really don't think any album after Nightmare got the credit it deserved.

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:16 am

most underrated: lace and whiskey, dada & brutal planet
most overrated: trash (obviously) & schools out

Schools out is the only acg albu i can say is overrated...
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

>It took years for FTI to be rated as a classic Cooper album,

That depends on who was doing the rating.
Well, it did very little at the time compared to previous efforts and now most fans and critics consider it to be 'classic Cooper. So on that criteria I think it is a fair comment.

>I feel that Dada and Brutal Planet will be the same.

So that you think that even after twenty - five years, there's still time for "Dada" to be considered a classic?!
Well, yes, it seemed to have taken that time for FTI to be considered a classic. Now I hear a lot of people on here praising Special Forces and yet when I went to the 6 SF gigs in the UK nobody had a good word for it. I think people look back in retrospect and put it all in context.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:29 pm

>Well, it did very little at the time compared to previous efforts

That has very little to do with whether something is considered a classic or not.

>and now most fans and critics consider it to be 'classic Cooper.

I disagree. Also, for what it’s worth, most of the fans I’ve encountered over the years, don’t regard it the same way that you do.

>So on that criteria I think it is a fair comment.

Not really, as the “criteria” is based on your perceptions.

>Well, yes, it seemed to have taken that time for FTI to be considered a classic.

Again, it depends on who is judging it. I can pretty much assure you that “From The Inside” was considered one of Alice’s best albums long before twenty – five years had passed.

>Now I hear a lot of people on here praising Special Forces and yet when I went to the 6 SF gigs in the UK nobody had a good word for it. I think people look back in retrospect and put it all in context.

It’s a good album, but again, I doubt most Alice Cooper fans regard it as a classic.