No More Love/I Never Wrote Those Songs

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

No More Love/I Never Wrote Those Songs

Post by andyrew » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm surprised that Alice considers "No More Love at Your Convenience" as one of the worst songs he has ever written.

It's definitely not the best, but it has this certain charm to it that makes it a fun listen. The only thing is the verse gets very repetitive near the end.

"I never wrote those songs." is a really cool track too. I love the melody in it and the way the song flows.

Lace and Whiskey has never been looked at as one of his finest efforts, but there are some standout tracks including these 2 songs.

What does everyone else think?

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: No More Love/I Never Wrote Those Songs

Post by evil syd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 am

I hate "No more love...." It's funny, it's probably my least liked song from Coop.
I couldn't agree more. Crap!
"I never wrote those songs" is another story. A very sad song and that instrumental near the end blows me away! Cool!
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:02 am

Dog turds both especially the last one that conjures of visions of Kenny G.

jettrainfan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by jettrainfan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:56 am

No more love... First time listening to it and the first thing that comes to mind is "shout it,shout it, shout it out loud" during the chorus... and honestly this is not a song I'd look forward to. If I wanna hear a song in that tune, I'll go for Kiss any day.

I never wrote those songs is actually something that caught me off guard when i heard it. It seemed very depressing sense it seemed like Alice knew his drinking was becoming out of control, and it was effecting him deeply.You can't help but feel sorry for him, especially sense this could've been his last album, but he got sober thankfully.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:25 am

Don't like NMLAYC but don't hate it either.

INWTS is a good song. It's very sad and fits the film noir look of the album. I hated hearing that he was ashamed of some of his old songs (or that they made him depressed) but the music is very good and the honesty is to be respected.

I think L&W had the potential to be a great album if the character was darker, like classic film noir (more shadows and mood) and more of the songs related to the concept. The showbiz aspect undermined it especially live with the chickens and machine guns (ugh).

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 am

What makes you think "I Never Wrote Those Songs" is a confession that Alice is ashamed of some of his old songs?

He also co-wrote "I Love The Dead" and "Cold Ethyl," but I doubt he's really held "bluing flesh" or made love with a corpse by the refrigerator light.

It's a song, written to tell a story. That doesn't mean it's true.

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:27 am

>I hated hearing that he was ashamed of some of his old songs (or that they made him depressed) but the music is very good and the honesty is to be respected.

That is a bit of an exaggeration. It wasn't really a case of being honest. It was more a case of being drunk.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:39 pm

"What makes you think "I Never Wrote Those Songs" is a confession that Alice is ashamed of some of his old songs?"

I don't need to repeat the lyrics here but I recommend listening again. That's like asking why do I think "Revolution" is about revolution.

"He also co-wrote "I Love The Dead" and "Cold Ethyl," but I doubt he's really held "bluing flesh" or made love with a corpse by the refrigerator light."

This is a weird comparison between two entirely different types of songs.

"It's a song, written to tell a story. That doesn't mean it's true."

I suppose that could be true but what do you think the story could be? I Never Cry and How You Gonna See Me Now were true and reflected his thoughts. Why do you think this song doesn't?

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:40 pm

"It wasn't really a case of being honest. It was more a case of being drunk.'

These are not mutually exclusive.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:02 pm

>These are not mutually exclusive.

That is true but as SickThings was trying to point out, not everything is completely autobiographical. There is an explanation about this at http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/lyrics/law.php#9 and there is no indication that he felt about those songs the way you perceive that he did.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Have always liked "NMLAYC", even back when I was 15-thought it sounded a lot like Elton John.
Now, "INWTS" was another story-to me, it DID sound like he was ashamed of some of the earlier songs he had written, probably ones like "Dead Babies". Remember that he has written some songs that have a autobiographical bent to them and this may be one also...or not. With the passing of age and repeated listening, I have grown to really like the song and agree with some of the posts that he sounds more sad and weary. VERY good vocals by him, especially "I've been living in my own shell for so long" section.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:35 pm

INWTS is an amazing piece of art. Nothing else to say I LOVE that song

NMLAYC is not that bad, I Mean, is different, but that was Alice Cooper about

PS: A Question, I understand, there is a longer version of INWTS with and extended spoken intro.... Is this true ? And if it is? Is it possible for me to hear it somewhere?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:46 pm

>PS: A Question, I understand, there is a longer version of INWTS with and extended spoken intro.... Is this true ?

The answer is in my last post.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 pm

tuneylune wrote: Now, "INWTS" was another story-to me, it DID sound like he was ashamed of some of the earlier songs he had written, probably ones like "Dead Babies".
Why would you think there's anything about "Dead Babies" to be ashamed of? Do you know what the song is about? It's a song about the dangers of child abuse or neglect. There's nothing about the song that I can see for which anyone would be ashamed. Yes, the title is shocking, and people who don't actually listen to the lyrics often assume it's something that it's not....

Hunter

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:20 pm

The extended spoken intro quote is ambiguous. Was it the older songs or the ballads that he was referring to when he said, "I don't know where they come from"? Sounds to me like he was talking about the ballads in that quote.

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:23 pm

>it DID sound like he was ashamed of some of the earlier songs he had written, probably ones like "Dead Babies".

No. If you read the information at the link I gave, you will see the explanation.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:25 pm

>Sounds to me like he was talking about the ballads in that quote.

Yes and before anyone gets upset, it doesn't mean he hates those songs just because the word "hate" is in the lyrics.

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Post by tim10cc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 pm

"I never wrote those songs"

When Alice became a household name people associated him with devil worshiping. People believed he was a necrophiliac and cruel to people and animals.

So I feel the song is just a message to the people,,,Nope that's not me I never wrote a song that tells you to worship the devil, or to kill your neighbors cat. I never wrote those songs.

Some of the general public took Alice too serious. Maybe at this time period it bugged Alice he was always associated with being the bad guy. He even said in interviews the lady who won a car on Hollywood squares would no let her son go to one of his concerts.

While on the subject of Lace and Whiskey the song that threw me was "My God"

Some people when they consume much alcohol they resort to prayer, religion and god. Maybe Alice was trying that route for a moment, but it wasn't enough.
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Since the OP asked for opinions...for Alice to record NMLAYC was imo "that bad"..if however he had given it to a Philadelphia style disco group or even Elton John to record I would have said ok he is writing for someone else...As has been pointed out there are grave dangers in taking any artist literally...they write material empathising with different standpoints and even although Alice records a song I don't think it necessarily means that the Alice character or Alice as a person feels this -Andy had already covered this and has mentioned the drink influence- so it is difficult to make any assumptions-he might just have enjoyed the process of getting in a particular state of mind where he imagined regretting lyrics etc etc... Very creative people can do this easily for their and our amusement-- as regards a message tot he press/peopel who thought he did dark deeds I think No More Mr Nice Guy lampoooned this way earlier
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 pm

>So I feel the song is just a message to the people,,,Nope that's not me I never wrote a song that tells you to worship the devil, or to kill your neighbors cat. I never wrote those songs.

No. For the second time, the correct information in the link I provided. He is referring to the ballads.