B$B reissue and more?

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

B$B reissue and more?

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:04 am

Hi Dennis, do you have any thoughts on the recent re-issue of B$B? Mine hasn't arrived yet but I'm hearing good things about the packaging and overall a more rounded production (akin to killer and Schools out reissues that had a much wider soundstage and more prominent bass)
How would you feel about a Muscle of Love reissue with a new remix (do a double disc with a brand new remix and the original mix on the second disc) Muscle of love always sounded very weak to me and a beefer production job would help allot

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: B$B reissue and more?

Post by Si » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:06 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:04 am
Hi Dennis, do you have any thoughts on the recent re-issue of B$B? Mine hasn't arrived yet
FYI it isn't released until Friday :)

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:34 pm

Re. the 2nd part of S&S's post: I'm not certain if you're aware but MOL was given a Quadraphonic release in the 70's, as was BDB. I've read that the MOL Quad. release wasn't as much of a departure from the original stereo issue of the album as the BDB Quad. release was from the stereo BDB issue, so perhaps a new remix of MOL would be more logical to include in a reissue.

To add: Not surprisingly, I've seen a no. of comments in social media inquiring about or suggesting deluxe editions for the 2 remaining 'classic Era' ACG albums (LITD and MOL) which haven't yet been given overhauls. As has been previously suggested in this Forum regarding some other suggested reissues, it could likely be a matter of us Fans opening our wallets and buying enough of the two recently released and one about to be released reissues to make further reissues worthwhile.

Ted

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:44 pm

Rhino and Warner make all of the re-issue decisions based on what they estimate as profitable. You're right in thinking they consider how well previous re-issues have sold. Collectively, fans have way more say than I do.

The popularity of vinyl has created a long line at pressing facilities which effects the timing. I've heard the waiting line is up to a year now. Then finding a window where a re-issue won't be competing with a new AC album is a consideration.

The Alice Camp coordinated our interviews with the legendary Jaan Uhelszki of Creem magazine fame for her extensive, and very cool liner notes but I wasn't consulted on anything beyond that.

I attended the Quad mixing sessions for Billion Dollar Babies and Muscle of Love. The record company knew that the vast majority of record buyers had stereo systems and weren't likely to buy a quad system unless it proved to be worth the expense, therefore, the quad mixing sessions were done on a fraction of the budget that was spent on the stereo mixes.

I bought a quad system in order to play those albums, but finding other quad albums was slim pickings. A record store would have one bin of quad to choose from and most of that was classical. I did, however, buy and love a Bette Middler album. "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" was the best quad mix in my collection. Surrounded by four speakers felt like you were center stage with big band sounds coming at you from all directions.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:56 pm

I have the SACD reissue of Muscle of love in quad, it is nowhere near as good as the quad B$B (which is, quite frankly, the definitive version so far, in my opinion) Maybe its a flaw inherent in the mix itself of Muscle as it just feels so flat and weak. B$B sounds like an absolute beast on the Blu ray quad release.

Mr. Dunaway, do you know why different versions of the songs were used on the Quad B$B (different lyrics, extended outros etc) ? i presume you didnt have a say but do you know who did and why?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:06 pm

Studios have their own sound qualities due to room acoustics and equipment more than expense. Muscle Shoals isn't fancy but it sure sounds great.

Most of Billion Dollar Babies was recorded in a recording studio truck but the Galesi Estate had many rooms with a variety of acoustics from a small wooden bathroom with intimate acoustics to a giant empty marbled cellarium with grand echo-chamber acoustics. Most recording studios have a main room with a few smaller rooms.

Love It To Death and Killer both have that great Mid-Atlantic Studios sound. School's Out haas that Record Plant NYC sound. But many studios have a Studio A and a Studio B for simultaneous sessions by different artists.

For Muscle of Love, we wanted to record at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles for the sound that that studio (Studio B) had produced for the Doors, but management booked Studio A which was designed for orchestras. Studio A's playback speakers were extremely bass heavy to the point that hard rock bass had to be mixed twice as loud, and even then, it came out mild in actuality. So that album was mixed with everything buried under the thundering bass. Then we would take those mixes to another studio for reference and my bass would still be under in the mix.