Slade

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Slade

Post by alan1958 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:32 pm

In 1972 , my little 14 year old self discovered “the bass guitar” , thanks to two bass players who exposed me the the sheer thrill and excitement of just what could be done on a bass - a love that remains to this day .
I’ve been fortunate to see most of the big names , from Stanley Clarke to John Entwistle .
But it’s those first two that I always go back to , Denis Dunaway and Slade’s Jimmy Lea . Blue Turk , Gutter Cat , etc thrilled me to my core . And Jim’s playing on Slayed? was equally mesmerising. Both used picks to add that attack , both melodic , busy and inventive without intruding, it was always in aid of the final record. And thankfully the producers cranked those parts up in the mix , almost like a lead instrument . I read an interview with Tim TURAN who remastered all the Slade back catalogue, when asked what surprised him most he said “Those bass lines” .
I’ve been lucky to see you both live : the last time in Glasgow during the reunion encores - the joy of watching DD doing his kicks and swirls made me 14 again , thank you( and Jimmy Lea ) for starting my bass guitar musical journey.
So my question ( if you’re still awake 😂) .
Were you aware of Jimmy Lea a fellow bass player?

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Slade

Post by revinkevin » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:30 pm

I can’t speculate on Denis awareness of Lea , but I think Lea was very aware of Denis as later on in his career he produced a few records and I believe he played bass on a cover of Schools out for some popular singer.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:33 am

This is the cover Jimmy Lea produced, and I’m certain he played all the instruments on the album too .

https://youtu.be/v9wKFcDxdBA?si=8AN3WxDa2b6nArpT

Jim Lea was recently asked what his favourite record of the Glam Era was , he chose Schools Out .

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:42 pm

alan1958 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:33 am
T.

https://youtu.be/v9wKFcDxdBA?si=8AN3WxDa2b6nArpT

Jim Lea was recently asked what his favourite record of the Glam Era was , he chose Schools Out .
Correction: This is the cover of Schools Out that Jimmy Lea produced, he played all the instruments on the track too . His brother frank played drums.
Annabella Lwin had been the singer in the Malcolm McLaren managed band BOW WOW WOW .

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:32 am

alan1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:32 pm
In 1972 , my little 14 year old self discovered “the bass guitar” , thanks to two bass players who exposed me the the sheer thrill and excitement of just what could be done on a bass - a love that remains to this day .
I’ve been fortunate to see most of the big names , from Stanley Clarke to John Entwistle .
But it’s those first two that I always go back to , Denis Dunaway and Slade’s Jimmy Lea . Blue Turk , Gutter Cat , etc thrilled me to my core . And Jim’s playing on Slayed? was equally mesmerising. Both used picks to add that attack , both melodic , busy and inventive without intruding, it was always in aid of the final record. And thankfully the producers cranked those parts up in the mix , almost like a lead instrument . I read an interview with Tim TURAN who remastered all the Slade back catalogue, when asked what surprised him most he said “Those bass lines” .
I’ve been lucky to see you both live : the last time in Glasgow during the reunion encores - the joy of watching DD doing his kicks and swirls made me 14 again , thank you( and Jimmy Lea ) for starting my bass guitar musical journey.
I must admit that I have decades of catching up on many great bands that I was too busy creating my own thing to find time to enjoy what they were doing. I do know that Slade were formidable. You mentioned my fave, Stanley Clarke.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:21 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:32 am
alan1958 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:32 pm
I must admit that I have decades of catching up on many great bands that I was too busy creating my own thing to find time to enjoy what they were doing. I do know that Slade were formidable. You mentioned my fave, Stanley Clarke.
My best ( only ) Stanley Clarke anecdote . Seen him a few times over the years . I bumped into him and his bandmates outside the venue in Glasgow . I was giddy with excitement!!
“Stanley , can I please get your autograph?”
“ Yeah sure “
I had no pen - and no paper , I couldn’t even find my concert ticket 🎟️
In a panic I asked his bandmates if any of them had a pen 🖊️
Indeed a pen was produced, yet the only thing I could find for Stanley to sign was a pay-in slip for the Bank Of Scotland.
As he was signing it he shouted , “ Hey Herbie , Wayne , I’m not sure about singing this , I think I might be paying for this guy’s holiday house in Miami “

Yes , I’d asked Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter if they had a pen 😂😂

More importantly, thank you for your wonderful autobiography, it’s a very revealing book , read it a few times since first getting it .
And thanks for those bass lines , I’ve almost mastered a few of them - that open D is a revelation.
Alan