Question about Fireball, and your birthplace

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Question about Fireball, and your birthplace

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:55 pm

Hi Dennis, a couple questions.

I have family who live in Oregon, I lived there as well a few times. And as a big fan of Buster Keaton and the movie The General, I was aware of that being filmed in your birthplace, Cottage Grove (cool connection, one of my favorite comedic actors, and one favorite bassists/songwriters having ties to the same place). Now I've heard why Alice moved from Detroit and read interviews with Neal about he and Glen being born in Akron, but I can't recall you saying much about Cottage Grove. I thought, well maybe he was very young when his family moved, but I thought I'd ask if you had any memories of Cottage Grove, did you stay their long?

Second question? I know the ACG had several songs that quoted or drew from the movies, West Side Story, Bond, Day the Earth Stood Still... There was a movie from the late 70s titled A Fire in the Sky, which was about a comet hitting Phoenix, Arizona (the birthplace of the Alice Cooper band). While the characters are different from song to movie, I do wonder if it served as any kind of inspiration for Fireball.

Thanks in advance (and I hope you and yours are doing well).

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Question about Fireball, and your birthplace

Post by Dreary » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:17 pm

I touch on this in my book.
I actually lived in Creswell, Oregon but in 1946, the nearest hospital was in Cottage Grove.
Our family moved to Phoenix, Arizona when I was 5 years old but we visited my grandfather's farm in Creswell every year, including the summer of 1964 when I worked on grandpa's farm to get the money to buy my first bass.
I love Oregon rain and all!

Fireball was all imagined in my mind. Any outside influence, if any, wasn't conscious, and I'm always happy to credit things that inspire me.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Question about Fireball, and your birthplace

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:27 pm

thanks so much for the reply, appreciate it. I have the book and love it, but it seems my old man's memory failed me on that detail.