band logo

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Rod
Trash
Trash

band logo

Post by Rod » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:46 am

Hi, a curiosity which maybe you can enlighten me about. I've always found it strange that the band (and later solo Alice) did not have a stable 'logo' - the band name is not presented in a consistent font/colour scheme/format from one album to the next except in recent years where Alice seems to have settled on the constrictor logo (but in red).

A lot of bands have a consistent presentation of the name which becomes recognisable and part of the 'brand'.

Was it a conscious decision not to go in this direction?

As always many thanks for your answers. It is amazing that you are so readily available to fans.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: band logo

Post by Dreary » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:06 pm

On Pretties For You, we had no say. We used the Doors logo font for Easy Action. Love it To Death was handwritten to look more personal from Alice the character. For the following album, I wrote the name to look like a ransom note from a Killer. Then it was carved into a school desk. Then it was stamped on a coin. And then it was printed as a warning on a salacious package.

We were aware of the power of branding, and we were associated with Pacific Eye and Ear who were masters at designing logos, but we thought following our album themes was more important.

Rod
Trash
Trash

Post by Rod » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Thanks for the insightful reply. Most interesting.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:08 am

Dreary wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:06 pm
On Pretties For You, we had no say. We used the Doors logo font for Easy Action. Love it To Death was handwritten to look more personal from Alice the character. For the following album, I wrote the name to look like a ransom note from a Killer. Then it was carved into a school desk. Then it was stamped on a coin. And then it was printed as a warning on a salacious package.

We were aware of the power of branding, and we were associated with Pacific Eye and Ear who were masters at designing logos, but we thought following our album themes was more important.
Awesome Dr. D.- Could this be the next book? Corporate mish mass for the masses? :rotfl:
PE&E created a large catalog of great album covers! :clap:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...