Today “Toodie” Mueller

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

mot$$33
Trash
Trash

Today “Toodie” Mueller

Post by mot$$33 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:58 am

Dennis - Hope all is well!! Was listening to Today Mueller live, and I really love that song. Any particular reason the song’s title was Today Mueller, rather than Toodie Mueller? With it being about Toodie, why not just title the song with her name? Thanks so much!

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Today “Toodie” Mueller

Post by Dreary » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:41 am

It was our obsession with doing a play on words, which is evident throughout the Pretties For You album.

Mike Allen
Trash
Trash

Post by Mike Allen » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:21 pm

There were actually two versions of the song. One on the "Pretties for You" album and the one they did live. On YouTube you can listen to the original version. It's on Alice Cooper"Whisky a go go" I969 "Today Mueller or Toodie Mueller is the title. There is a brief introduction where Alice talks about Toodie.

mot$$33
Trash
Trash

Post by mot$$33 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:47 pm

Mike Allen wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:21 pm
There were actually two versions of the song. One on the "Pretties for You" album and the one they did live. On YouTube you can listen to the original version. It's on Alice Cooper"Whisky a go go" I969 "Today Mueller or Toodie Mueller is the title. There is a brief introduction where Alice talks about Toodie.
Thanks Mike! Funny you mention, because me recently getting that Whiskey CD is what spurned my question to Dennis. Pretty sure part of the lyrics on the live version are - “Red Rover, Red Rover, send Toodie on over”!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:20 pm

It's one of the better songs on the album as it's short and doesn't outstay its welcome. I guess I have I have been singing the lyrics wrong for 50 years. Always thought it was " Happy slappin tappin patio " not Paddy-Oh!

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:07 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:20 pm
It's one of the better songs on the album as it's short and doesn't outstay its welcome. I guess I have I have been singing the lyrics wrong for 50 years. Always thought it was " Happy slappin tappin patio " not Paddy-Oh!
I'm leaning toward patio so I dug out some of the original lyrics. I didn't find that particular verse but I found two different versions of the first verse, chorus, and bridge (We would all take shots at improving lyrics).
One version suggested Today Brother while the other said Toodie Mueller. So, it might have been a compromise, however I'm pretty sure it was a last minute decision in the studio since I found a set list that says Toodie Mueller, and another that says Toodie. Like many bands, we often used one word to represent a song.

mot$$33
Trash
Trash

Post by mot$$33 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:26 pm

Thanks Dennis - I love the history and details you shared about this awesome song!