Glen on My Stars

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Glen on My Stars

Post by Babysquid » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:47 am

Hi Dennis, I hope you’re doing well.
I was reading the inner sleeve of the recent School’s Out reissue and a comment of Alice’s made me wonder. I know Alice isn’t always the most reliable source for information but his comments about Glen’s playing on My Stars made me want to ask the question which parts did he actually play on the song? I know Dick Wagner was brought in for the solos and I had assumed that it was him doing the guitar line during the introduction but now I’m not as sure. Not that it matters in the long run as it’s a great song and everyone’s performance is top!

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Glen on My Stars

Post by Dreary » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:55 pm

I think of the song the same way Alice does, with Glen's playing prominent. That's how the song was created, with Michael on bass, and then on keyboards with Glen loud and clear. Unfortunately, his part is buried in both studio and live mixes, although there must be an early live recording out there somewhere with Glen up in the mix.

Glen is barely audible on the left side of the studio recording with Wagner's lead way up front on the right side and still louder than Glen on the left.
The live Billion Dollar Babies shows had Glen down in the mix, depending on how he was playing on a particular night, with Mick Mashbir playing the Wagner parts, Bob Dolan on keyboards and Michael playing guitar. But I stood next to Glen's amp and especially the outro featured Glen with his Echoplex making even the largest arenas feel like they were lifting off the ground. I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" things but I'm pretty sure that's what Alice is talking about.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:33 pm

Great question babysquid and, as always a great reply from Dennis. I need to re-listen to live recordings I have of My Stars on the Deluxe Edition of BDB and a bootleg (audience recording) of the song from the Dec. '73 Holiday Tour to try to ascertain what GB played, if audible on both/either recording. I wasn't previously aware that Glen played on the studio version of MS.

Ted

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:45 pm

Glen is barely audible on the left side of the studio recording with Wagner's lead way up front on the right side and still louder than Glen on the left.
well i know what i am doing after work! im gonna put the new version on and crank it listening to the left speaker and see what happens.