Mysterious voice on "You Drive Me Nervous"

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Speedking72
Trash
Trash

Mysterious voice on "You Drive Me Nervous"

Post by Speedking72 » Tue May 09, 2023 4:31 pm

Hey Dennis,

Something that always puzzled me out of the hundreds of times i've played the "Killer" album was the mysterious deep voice we hear on the song "You Drive Me Nervous". We hear the voice say "Honey, where have we failed?" 1 minute and 25 seconds into the song. I've heard some sources say that the voice was the bands soundman named Artie King. If true, how did he become apart of the song and who's idea was it? Was his voice altered with special effects to sound deeper? He's got the sound of a bluesman from the 1950's so I wonder if there were effects put on his voice or not. Why did he say what he said on the song? Was he having romantic troubles? How long did he remain the bands soundman and is he still around? This is something that has never been answered and i really want to find out so we can add it to the long list of facts about the album.

Keep the rock rolling,

Tony Speed

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Mysterious voice on "You Drive Me Nervous"

Post by Dreary » Tue May 09, 2023 4:54 pm

Yes, it was our sound man Artie King. He had a natural deep voice that seemed to vibrate the rafters when he barked out orders to the road crew.

The concept was inspired by Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" where the voices of authority are low timbered.

Artie mixed sound for several tours including Billion Dollar Babies. He then worked for Michael Bruce.
The last I heard he had wrecked one of our trucks and seemed to disappear after that.