Do overs?

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Do overs?

Post by Dannorama » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:21 pm

Have you ever wished for a do-over? To me, your playing is flawless. (In fact, I think you spoiled Bob Ezrin!) Just curious if you've ever had anything you later thought could have been played differently?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Do overs?

Post by Dreary » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:36 am

I only think about that immediately after the producer says I nailed it. Probably because up until that point, every take is me trying my best to improve on every take.
Then, once that finality is declared, I accept it and move on to making the next song better.

Now that I think about it, there is a part in "Ballad of Dwight Fry" where I jump to the next part pre-maturely. Bob Ezrin said it's fine and wouldn't let me redo the bass track. He said nobody will ever notice that.
He was right, nobody ever has, however, I hear it every time.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:49 pm

Dreary wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:36 am
I only think about that immediately after the producer says I nailed it. Probably because up until that point, every take is me trying my best to improve on every take.
Then, once that finality is declared, I accept it and move on to making the next song better.

Now that I think about it, there is a part in "Ballad of Dwight Fry" where I jump to the next part pre-maturely. Bob Ezrin said it's fine and wouldn't let me redo the bass track. He said nobody will ever notice that.
This is great history :laugh:

Would you mind telling us what part was that? :rock:
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:50 pm

Marcelocooper wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:49 pm
Dreary wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:36 am

This is great history :laugh:

Would you mind telling us what part was that? :rock:
You tell me!

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:15 pm

I'm going to listen to the song later and will see (or I should say hear) if I can find it.

Ted

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:30 pm

Is it the very first bass note? If so, then Ezrin was right. I’m glad you didn’t redo that. I always loved the way you played that note, and thought you did it on purpose.

Or- I could be wrong! Wouldn’t be the first time.

(:40 seconds into the track. I can explain my reasoning.)

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:30 pm
Is it the very first bass note? If so, then Ezrin was right. I’m glad you didn’t redo that. I always loved the way you played that note, and thought you did it on purpose.

That's not it but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:10 am

Dreary wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:30 pm

That's not it but I'd like to hear your reasoning.
Dang. There goes my investigative career.

Using this clip as a reference, I simply cannot hear any moment of yours that sounds like a "do-over" candidate. I read what you said about jumping ahead, but I simply cannot hear it happen.

Please bear with me while I try to explain my idea. (This will be weird because I can't name the notes specifically.)

The reason I thought that :40 may be "the spot" is because when the song gets to a similar spot at 3:00, instead of fretting up to that target note, this time you hit it square on. That led me to the idea of you swiftly correcting yourself at :40, but I now realize how big of a stretch that is. Not to mention, you bend the note up a few times in the song, which negates my idea, but I was chalking that up to you being a genius at work.

Hopefully, that was understandable. I know that :40 is not the spot. My sleuthin' days are over. Maybe Detective Sallis can figure it out.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:35 am

Ok, you've worked hard enough on this.
At 3:34, under I gotta get outta here, I go up to the note that would begin the chorus, then retreat, then in a quick attempt to make it sound like I knew what I was doing, I play a slide into the chorus.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:11 am

Yep! There it is. From now on, I will always listen for that moment, and think of this exchange. Thanks for the cool explanation, Dennis.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:02 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:10 am
My sleuthin' days are over. Maybe Detective Sallis can figure it out.
Sorry, I dragged my heels on listening to the song myself. Thanks for your attempts to solve the mystery, Dannorama and for providing the answer, Dennis.

Re. Dennis' answer: that wouldn't be the first nor the last time a musician has played a wrong note(s) while recording a song in the studio, then tried to rectify the error immediately afterward.

Ted

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:40 pm

Jack Richardson was a fine bass player before he became a Producer. If even one of my bass notes needed fixed, he insisted that I re-record the entire track from beginning to end. He would say, you're going to be playing this song a lot so one more time won't kill you. That was the rule for the albums that he oversaw - LITD, Killer, and MOL.
On very very rare occasions, say if Jack took a lunch break or something, Bob Ezrin and I would hurry up and punch in a part. That wasn't the case with "Ballad of Dwight Fry". Bob simply knew that nobody would ever notice it.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:26 pm

I always think of David Gilmour’s guitar solo on ‘Comfortably Numb’ which as arguably the greatest guitar solo of all time, was also a first take.

Bob said to him you’ve nailed it, David thought he could do a better one, but the first one was the one they went with.

That’s what a great producer does and why trusting someone that knows what they are doing always makes sense.

I think back to Muscle of Love which Bob talks about here https://youtu.be/B9u810p56wY
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV