Surround sound mixes

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Surround sound mixes

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:48 pm

I know. A million questions.

You've probably seen other Hang-Out discussions about AC releasing surround sound albums. I'm rooting for the "School's Out" album. Do you have any desires that you can share? (Again, your caution is appreciated! I'm sure we all understand what you can and cannot say.)

Edit: I just realized that you may not even care about surround sound. I assume you do, based on your reaction to "The Divine Miss M" back in the day.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Surround sound mixes

Post by Dreary » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:03 pm

I had a quad system, and like I had mentioned here before, "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" by Bette Midler was pretty amazing, however, many other quad mixes were more like double stereo and not quite worth the ticket of admission.
I would like to hear our recordings mixed for Surround Sound but only if the mixes are great.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:58 am

I would like to hear our recordings mixed for Surround Sound but only if the mixes are great.
Have you not listened to muscle of love Quad SACD or the B$B dvd-a?
I like them to a point but some of the songs dont work that well (not sure if where it was a new format people were not sure how to mix it that well) but others really pop.
Of the ACG albums i feel school's out would probably fair the best on surround sound, just due to the amount of instrumentation that is going on (more separation)

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:06 am

I was in the studio when Jack Richardson and Jack Douglas did the quad mixes.
Because of the very limited amount of people that had quad systems, Warner Bros. budget for quad was slim. It was done in a rush.

I rarely listen to those albums because I'm always working on new music. I care about our recordings sounding as good as possible but others have control over those decisions.