Warner Brothers

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Warner Brothers

Post by Dannorama » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:57 pm

I'll bet those two words drew a reaction from you. Care to share what it was?

Since nobody asked, I'll tell you mine anyway. I think they were all behind you guys at the beginning. There were ads, promos, all sorts of stuff that one would expect from a powerhouse company getting behind a powerful band. However, in the long run it seems like WB has stifled the band's output. Kids these days (there's that phrase!) simply are not as aware of the AC brand as they are their contemporaries. Case in point, I just saw a question on Reddit, asking what the best driving song was. Lots of responses, with many from the early 70s, but not one mention of AC. It's a weak example, but it stuck out to me. I blame WB for that. If they wanted the back catalog to stand out, they could easily make it happen. I presume that there's a lot of politics and bent feathers involved, but I don't know anything.

I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble here. It's thoroughly understood if it's safer for you to stay quiet! Just wondering.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Warner Brothers

Post by Dreary » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:25 pm

Artistically, Warner Bros. was a great company. Thanks to Joe Greenberg and Shep Gordon, we had artistic control of our album covers. They also managed to get publishing, even though it was plagued by Herbie Cohen getting a settlement for us leaving Bizarre.

Business-wise, whenever it came time to record a new album, WB would tell us that we had had our run and we had to fight to prove them wrong. I think that was standard record company negotiation tactics.

From stories I've heard over the years, we came out much better off than many bands of that era that were on other labels.

As for promoting the original AC group's catalog, I think that's likely gaged by what they think is fan demand.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Warner Brothers

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:27 pm

Thanks, Dennis. PS, the driving song I would have picked is "Under My Wheels," although "School's Out" always gets played through. No skipping that one.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.