1966?

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

1966?

Post by Dannorama » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:44 pm

Dennis, the geek in me is curious about your opinion... What was it like for you as a tuned-in youngster during the 60s? I was a child, born in '63, and I've never asked anyone this - mainly because I don't know who to ask! You turned 20 the same year that I thought everything took off. To me, The Beatles were in full swing, Batman and Star Trek were in color(!) on TV, and Vietnam was really pissing people off. As a hip, artistic kid, what does 1966 mean to you? Do you remember other things from those times?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: 1966?

Post by Dreary » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:36 pm

I think I covered this in my book.
For Vince and I, living in the desert town of Phoenix, Arizona, where everything seemed to be happening elsewhere, like the L.A. music scene, surfing in California, Pop Art in New York City, and Wolfman Jack in Mexico. We felt like we had to create our own scene. For us, the Beatles hit in '64, and by '66 we were deep into the rest of the British Invasion - The Stones, The Kinks, The Who, and The Yardbirds, as well as American bands like Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Mothers of Invention, Jefferson Airplane, and Bob Dylan.

It all exploded with every song in the Top Ten being The Beatles. They became the only thing that seemed important.

But Arizona in general thought long hair was sissy stuff and we lived in an air of danger, therefore bands stuck together. And, even though, we drew packed shows, the parking lot tended to be risky. There was a police presence, but many police sided against us.

Despite that, we had a blast.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:04 pm

Hi Dennis
I recently found this documentary that I had never seen before, with ao some snapshots of the very early days and some small interview items with you as well ( but perhaps you have seen this before..)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzwuQtoY74Q
you really wouldn't understand..

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:32 pm

patrick wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:04 pm
Hi Dennis
I recently found this documentary that I had never seen before, with ao some snapshots of the very early days and some small interview items with you as well ( but perhaps you have seen this before..)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzwuQtoY74Q
It's a tabloid style "bootleg" designed to make money off of what we did. It swipes clips from other people's interviews, and I doubt that the band will ever get a nickel from it.