*more* gear questions

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

RKane92
Trash
Trash

*more* gear questions

Post by RKane92 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:23 am

Dennis, I have a continuation of gear questions from the last thread I'm seeing on page 3 ("studio amps", or something to that effect).

From Love It To Death onward, did you primarily use the mirrored jazz bass that you rented-to-own? Were there any tracks specifically where you played the white bass? Are La Bella flatwound strings worth it nowadays? (I've got D'Addario flats on my current bass)

How about Michael and Glen... Did they primarily use their SGs in the studio? Were there other guitars that you recall?

I've been watching "Good To See You Again" since I was a young teenager. I noticed your white bass, Mike's white Les Paul, and Glen's Gretsch. Was there a reason for the instrument switches on that tour? Frets all wore out, perhaps?

Thanks in advance for your insight, Dr. Dreary.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: *more* gear questions

Post by Dreary » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:01 am

RKane92
Trash
Trash

Post by RKane92 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:03 pm

That article is packed with good information. My apologies, as I've never come across it before and didn't realize it was out there. Thanks Dennis.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:51 pm

After that article came out, the writer surprised me with this follow-up article about the history of my very first amp.
https://www.vintageguitar.com/32659/doc ... r-pro-amp/

RKane92
Trash
Trash

Post by RKane92 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:59 pm

"The only thing I don’t like is that some of the gold paint is still on it from Dennis. I never told him that I wasn’t really happy about that.”
Ha! What a legend of an amplifier. These slices of knowledge are gems.

Since posting this thread, I've found the Ryan Roxie podcast featuring Michael Bruce. All of the things I've read and listened to from both yourself and Mike have been illuminating, but have also taught me to let go a little bit from my inner "gear nerd". Does it really matter what amps or picks or strings were used, if I'm having fun playing what I'm playing? Guess not.

For what it's worth, I (and many others) are "touched by the toil" of it all.