Vinyl, CD, MP3 or ?

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Vinyl, CD, MP3 or ?

Post by Dreary » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:45 pm

Dr. Dreary has a question for all of you.
When you listen to AC music, what format do you favor, as in, I heavily prefer vinyl, but I usually listen via CD's or Youtube.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Vinyl, CD, MP3 or ?

Post by Si » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:40 pm

For AC stuff I listen to MP3's as I have everything on the computer just a couple of clicks away.

I buy vinyl almost solely for the packaging, assuming some actual work has gone into it ie gatefold sleeves etc. Never play them as I don't even have a turntable set up. It's purely for the look of them and to have a copy in the collection.

I buy the CD's as well as they are released, but they only get played once when I rip them to the computer to play.

If I'm listening to other music I often just go to youtube, type something in, and then skip around the suggestions looking for something interesting, or watch recent live shows that have been posted. Occasionally I'll have some internet radio station on as background noise, something that plays more unusual/unfamiliar stuff, not the same tired old hits over and over - although sometimes that's okay as well (see PlanetRock).
I rarely ever use any of the music streaming services like Spotify.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:40 pm

Probably MP3s that I've ripped from my CDs the most often, as I work at home on a computer a lot.

Prior to getting my turntable up and running again, it was only CDs other than that, but I'm delighted to say that vinyl is back in action, so that is my go-to choice when listening to the classics.

I don't use Spotify or any other streaming services.

Coopenstein
Trash
Trash

Post by Coopenstein » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:39 pm

Mostly CD:s, unless bootlegs, then files on the computer. :8):
Bits N Pieces, Coopenstein Inc.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:30 pm

CD’s , but looking for a turntable set up for all the ACG classics, especially for the “Live From The AstroTurf” album which is ordered

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:32 pm

Flac files on my computer, they sound DEFINETELY better and more compelte than MP3s, and when I cannot turn to my laptop, Tidal and Spotify help.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:36 pm

Personally…I love cd’s the best but it’s more so that I love collecting cd’s. I have a 260gb IPod that came out about 3 years ago so I transferred most of my collection of cds and vinyl to that ipod(as soon as I buy a new cd or vinyl I put it into my laptop and then right on the iPod). I love having most of my music collection which is well over 30,000 songs right at my fingertips at all time whether it’s at home, in the car, or if I’m at a party…
I know IPods are kind of out of style now but I love mine.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:58 am

I mostly use Apple Music on my iPhone, as I tend to listen in the car a lot and can carry my whole library on it. I use echo dot too a lot too. I’m very into technology so love this kind of stuff. At the same time, vinyl is my go to when I have the time to actually sit down and enjoy music, I think it is much better sounding than other formats and aesthetically way more pleasing. Having a one year old and suffering from health complications after my COVID vaccine, I didn’t have the chance to enjoy this Very much this last year, but it is still my favorite way to listen to music.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:27 am

Hi Dennis.
I usually listen to a (new) cd or vinyl once, then I copy the music on my pc . As such my vinyls (the packages are more interesting than it is the case with cds), and cds are kept at their best.
But I must say in an ideal world (now turntable fixed on one spot, pc is not) I would prefer vinyl: always thought there was a reason for a Side A and Side B and in my head , especially with the ACG lp's, I still hear them that way. I would never listen to e.g. Killer or Litd in random mode on my cd player
you really wouldn't understand..

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:49 am

I’m old school. Vinyl is my first choice, especially the vintage stuff. It just feels different. The recent remaster of “Love It To Death” (I have the white marble vinyl) sounds fresh and punchy. I hope they do something similar with “School’s Out.” After that, I listen to a lot of stuff in my car. For that, it iTunes Plus or AAC on my phone. I don’t spin actual CDs much anymore. They’ve always sounded thin and too bright for me.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:40 pm

I always listen to AC music via YouTube or CDs. I too buy AC vinyl exclusively for the packaging.

Ted

trashed
Trash
Trash

Post by trashed » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:19 pm

Always Vinyl. Preferably with a glass of scotch...

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:16 am

Although I was raised in the era of vinyl, I no longer have a turntable; too inconvenient.
I have a great stereo in my car and I crank Classic AC via a thumb drive.
At home, I'll watch YouTube Premium (no commercials).
If I want the best sound and video, I'll put the officially released DVD of GTSYAAC, AC Special Edition or R&RHOF DVD in the DVD player.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Mr Dunaway,

I guess I'm Old School as well. Had all The ACG recordings on three formats (vinyl, Cassette and CD) for the appropiate occasion. Played the grooves off some of the albums (LITD, K and BDB ) necessitating replacement. Also being thrilled to find PFY on cassette at a Mom and Pop Record Store in Laconia NH.

Nowadays it's still CD.

TL
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:23 pm

Vinyl and with you guys mostly original pressings.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:34 pm

At home, i'll listen to Vinyl. The only other time I get to listen to most music is in the car, in which case it's either CD or Apple Music.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:58 am

Vinyl in my work room. Tend to listen while working with the odd break to listen to one side of an album closely. Streaming Spotify everywhere else in the house and like to use it to look for new music. Just don’t play cd’s anymore. Radio in the car. Planet Rock sometimes but normally flick about a lot.

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:06 pm

I listen to vinyl in my office/man-den. If I'm out and about I'll use Spotify.
Time is getting closer

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:54 am

Well, as with many others depends where i am.
When im headbanging and washing up in the kitchen it will be via alexa
If i am absorbing i sit in my music room and normally listen to CDs as my go to. However my home cinema is up and running now so when available i will listen to blu ray audio or DVD audio (alice only has 2 dvd audios sadly and one sacd in muscle of love)

I LOVE dvd audio/blu ray audio and the surround sound mixes. I wish alice would release more of these as it adds so much dimension to the soundscape and you can get a completely different feel from the albums.
I still swear the welcome to my nightmare DVD audio is the definitive version of it (B$B less so but still good)