American Pie

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

American Pie

Post by forglasgowonly » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:36 pm

Hi Dennis, maybe unfair to direct this only to you, but it seemed a group statement when 18 came out, that Alice Cooper hated American Pie. C'mon it's a great song. Was it a way of getting publicity? Was Don Mclean uncool? Did Alice really hate the song? Hope you can spill the beans on this curio that has bugged me for years. Many Thanks,

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: American Pie

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:20 pm

In the "extended" performance version of I'm Eighteen in the Beat Club vid. (1972), Alice sings some lyrics/lines from American Pie toward the end of the song. I would tend to consider that it was more of a 'tribute' of sorts to the song, which would tend to lessen the likelihood of there being any serious disdain for the song by Alice.

Let's see what Dennis' response might be.

Ted

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Logan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:31 pm

forglasgowonly wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:36 pm
Hi Dennis, maybe unfair to direct this only to you, but it seemed a group statement when 18 came out, that Alice Cooper hated American Pie. C'mon it's a great song. Was it a way of getting publicity? Was Don Mclean uncool? Did Alice really hate the song? Hope you can spill the beans on this curio that has bugged me for years. Many Thanks,
Maybe it was just an overplayed song during that time. It did have interesting lyrics. I do remember on a VH1 special they did top 10 or some number songs and Alice was on w/ other musicians as they went over the selected countdown and the number one song was "American Pie" and his expression was priceless! I think I may have it recorded on VHS somewhere.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:45 am

American Pie is a great song. Perhaps Alice was expressing what many people thought about it being over-played.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:24 am

Dreary wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:45 am
American Pie is a great song. Perhaps Alice was expressing what many people thought about it being over-played.
Classic, Yes! A double sided 45, Yes! The fade out from side A to B is not unlike the Isley Bros. "Shout!"
AM radio was Top 40! After that only Led Zep & others (Iron Butterfly) could get that long of airplay on FM radio.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:32 am

Would have been amusing if Alice had reintroduced that bit when Madonna had a hit with it in 2000.

I don't think he was actually on tour when she was in the charts with it though, and perhaps the Brutal Planet tour wouldn't really have suited it. But maybe it would.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:04 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:24 am
Dreary wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:45 am
Classic, Yes! A double sided 45, Yes! The fade out from side A to B is not unlike the Isley Bros. "Shout!"
AM radio was Top 40! After that only Led Zep & others (Iron Butterfly) could get that long of airplay on FM radio.
Stevie Wonder had "Fingertips" Part 1 and Part 2 on both sides of a single. I think Ray Charles "Tell Me What I Say" was also both sides with the crowd begging Ray to continue on side B.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:50 pm

….and let’s not forget Jethro Tulls album “Thick As A Brick”
Side 1…Thick As A Brick Pt 1
Side 2…Thick As A Brick Pt 2

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:14 am

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:50 pm
….and let’s not forget Jethro Tulls album “Thick As A Brick”
Side 1…Thick As A Brick Pt 1
Side 2…Thick As A Brick Pt 2
That is a huge 45 rpm 7" single!
Years ahead of it's time.
12" remixes of 45's may have begun in the "Disco" era.
Was it a Dance hit? :rotfl:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...