Show with black Sabbath 1971

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

sickthing
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Show with black Sabbath 1971

Post by sickthing » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:26 pm

Black sabbath's fb page just shared an advert for ashow held on August 8th, 1971 with BS headlining and Alice Cooper on the ticket.

I don't recall seeing references to this before

Do you have any memories from the show? Did you interact with Sabbath at all? Was this a one time gig? How come AC was opening not headlining?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Show with black Sabbath 1971

Post by Dreary » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 pm

Si lists this show in his History section. Even though, I remember the show happened, I don't recall any details about that particular night.

At that point, Black Sabbath were considered to be an established British Invasion band while most promoters saw us as being too controversial to headline a show.

We opened for them in Philadelphia and Ottawa that year as well.

I do remember the Ottawa show. We arrived road weary and, while we were guided across the big stage, which was separated from another stage by a giant sheer curtain, I was telling myself to gather my energy because Black Sabbath were on the bill. Through the sheer curtain, we could see and hear the opening band playing. They were absolutely amazing. I thought to myself, and I'm worried about Sabbath? What about these guys!
I could see the audience filing into the arena and noted that most people weren't paying any attention to the opening band. The band was Yes.

And so they immediately became the band that set the bar high for the evening.
I think we managed to rise to the task by playing as tight as we could. And the theatrical execution made an impact. Plus, unlike Yes, we had already built our own following.

In the end, Black Sabbath didn't rule that particular night. They played way too loud and loose, and halfway through their set, the audience was thinning out.
I wouldn't say that playing loose was true for the other shows that we did with them.
Nor would I say that we played that tight every night. I might venture to say that Yes probably played tight every night.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:32 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 pm
Si lists this show in his History section. Even though, I remember the show happened, I don't recall any details about that particular night.

At that point, Black Sabbath were considered to be an established British Invasion band while most promoters saw us as being too controversial to headline a show.

We opened for them in Philadelphia and Ottawa that year as well.

I do remember the Ottawa show. We arrived road weary and, while we were guided across the big stage, which was separated from another stage by a giant sheer curtain, I was telling myself to gather my energy because Black Sabbath were on the bill. Through the sheer curtain, we could see and hear the opening band playing. They were absolutely amazing. I thought to myself, and I'm worried about Sabbath? What about these guys!
I could see the audience filing into the arena and noted that most people weren't paying any attention to the opening band. The band was Yes.

And so they immediately became the band that set the bar high for the evening.
I think we managed to rise to the task by playing as tight as we could. And the theatrical execution made an impact. Plus, unlike Yes, we had already built our own following.

In the end, Black Sabbath didn't rule that particular night. They played way too loud and loose, and halfway through their set, the audience was thinning out.
I wouldn't say that playing loose was true for the other shows that we did with them.
Nor would I say that we played that tight every night. I might venture to say that Yes probably played tight every night.
Oh, for a Time Machine for this show :rock: :rock:
Good story Mr D
"I need everything the world owes me..."

sickthing
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sickthing » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:23 pm

Thank you so much for the great reply.