Final Gig in Rio, April 6, 1974

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Final Gig in Rio, April 6, 1974

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:06 am

Hey Dennis,

I believe this is the anniversary of the last ever gig by the band. Do any particular memories stand out?

Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Final Gig in Rio, April 6, 1974

Post by Dreary » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:42 pm

My memories of Brazil are mostly vivid but with exception.

I remember playing to an exclusive audience in Rio. The room was more intimate and I enjoyed playing on a flat stage again. I've heard a bootleg recording of that show in which Glen was tuning his guitar between songs, so to help maintain the momentum of the show, I resorted to something I had done before and let out a blood-curdling scream over the microphone. The crowd cheered and you can hear Alice laugh and say to me, that's the first time I've ever heard that work.

Then I remember the massive show in Sao Paulo, which I wrote about in the opening of my book.

But, for the life of me, I can't recall anything about the third and final show. It's a complete blank.
Cindy doesn't remember it either, but perhaps she wrote about it in her diary.
Mick Mashbir and Ron Volz have talked to me about the third show.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:02 pm

Great story.
I would love to hear that bootleg or a record/video on these days.

Coopenstein
Trash
Trash

Post by Coopenstein » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:49 pm

Dennis - from the info I have gathered, it seems there were in fact five Brazil shows. From memory they were:

Anhembi, Sao Paolo, March 30th 1974 (laaarge indoors show)
Teatro Do Convenciones, Sao Paolo, 1 and 2 April 1974 (two smaller theatre shows)
Canecão, Rio De Janeiro, April 5th 1974 (even smaller club gig)
Maracanazinho, Rio De Janeiro, April 6th 1974 (arena show)

There has also been information floating around about possible plans for a show in the capital, Brasilia, but from what I understand, those plans never materialized...

Does any of the above info jog Your memory...? :-)
I always found it strange that there aren't more photos around from the Brazil tours. I mean, there are some, but not that many, compared to the impact of the tour.
Bits N Pieces, Coopenstein Inc.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:45 pm

I checked Cindy's diary. She wrote that we had just returned from Brazil where we played 5 shows - 3 in Sao Paulo and 2 in Rio. She said it was hot and crazy and that we drew over 100,000 fans in Sao Paulo.
Even that doesn't jog my memory. I still only recall the big show in Sao Paulo and the exclusive show in Rio.