Billion Dollar Babies - intermission music.

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Coopenstein
Trash
Trash

Billion Dollar Babies - intermission music.

Post by Coopenstein » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:40 am

Hello DD!

I'm curious - who's idea was it to use Mussorgsky's "Night On Bald Mountain" between the different segments of the "Billion Dollar Babies" show? Did it come from the band, from management, from Bob, or from Joe Gannon? If not from the band itself - did You like the idea, or were You against it? Was any other music considered to be used before You settled on that particular piece? Also wondering about the reaction from the audience - was it "appreciated", or were people wondering about the combination of rock and classical music?
Thanks,
Chris
Bits N Pieces, Coopenstein Inc.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Billion Dollar Babies - intermission music.

Post by Dreary » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:16 am

I'm not sure who suggested it but it was always a favorite with Alice and I because of Disney's Fantasia.

We wanted a scary segue for a costume change and something lengthy enough to give the crew enough time to roll the props into place. "Night on Bald Mountain" and, I think, "In The Hall of The Mountain King" were considered.
Being classical pieces made them Public Domain and the composition's length was a safety net in case there was a snag with getting the props into place. The dimly lit activity on stage, plus the power of the music, was well accepted by audiences. The anticipation of what was about to happen carried it in a grand way. And following an hour of rock, the classical piece not only was a refreshing break, but it also set the mood for the dark dramatic segment of the set.

When the crew and band was ready, the music faded out into a thunderous fuzz-bass playing the intro for "Sick Things".

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Billion Dollar Babies - intermission music.

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:32 am

For me it’s the greatest piece of music ever written. I first heard it in 1973 when i got a bootleg tape of the Boston Gardens show. I became obsessed with it, got the score out the library, took up violin again and adapted as much as i could of it for guitar. I was lucky enough to see the Moscow Philharmonic perform it in England in the 1980s. The best recorded version is Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic when he was their principal conductor. The mountain to which Mussorgsky referred in his tone poem is Mount Triglav, near Kiev (Kyiv) now in Ukraine. I always wanted to visit that place where the Witches Sabbath took place that inspired the piece. Think i’ll give that a miss now!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV