Here's a cool photo

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Here's a cool photo

Post by Dannorama » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:05 pm

Looking through old magazines online, and I ran across THIS. I can't remember ever seeing that photo before. You guys look invincible. It boggles my mind to think of the whirlwind ride you were experiencing at that point in your young lives. It must have been a tremendous rush.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Here's a cool photo

Post by Dreary » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm

The legendary Richard Avedon took that photo in his studio in New York City. We did some other shots of us dressed like successful businessmen for the Billion Dollar Babies concept. I didn't have a suit so Avedon loaned me one of his.

I had my shoe off in reference to Paul McCartney being barefoot on the Abbey Road cover photo. I figured some Beatles fanatics might spot it as a "Paul is dead" clue. As far as I know, the amount of people that picked up on that is zero.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:20 pm

Dreary wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm
The legendary Richard Avedon took that photo in his studio in New York City. We did some other shots of us dressed like successful businessmen for the Billion Dollar Babies concept. I didn't have a suit so Avedon loaned me one of his.

I had my shoe off in reference to Paul McCartney being barefoot on the Abbey Road cover photo. I figured some Beatles fanatics might spot it as a "Paul is dead" clue. As far as I know, the amount of people that picked up on that is zero.
Ha! Brilliant.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:06 am

Dreary wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Is that the photo where all of You have Your hair slicked back? I love that picture and it also shows a "Scary" band could be a Funny one too.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 pm

The photo link blinks for a half a second then the page is dark.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:52 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 pm
Hopefully, the “old magazines” link works for you. The photo is in the July 22, 1972 issue, PDF page 85.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:30 am

Dannorama wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:52 am
Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 pm
Hopefully, the “old magazines” link works for you. The photo is in the July 22, 1972 issue, PDF page 85.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:03 am

Thanks Si ! :clap:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:05 pm

Looking at this date on SickthingsUK's Timelines page, there's a cool listing for March 11, 1972 at the New York Academy of Music. Look at that lineup! The Byrds, Alice Cooper (w/ Paul Pena), Humble Pie, Grateful Dead, Savoy Brown, Fleetwood Mac, ELP, and the Allman Brothers. (They had just lost Duane a few months prior.) That must have been quite a venue. I got curious about The Academy of Music because I'd never heard if it. Here's the building's history:

"The Academy of Music was built by movie mogul William Fox and opened in 1926. It was one of the major movie theatres in the Union Square entertainment district (In New York City.)

With the demise of the legendary Fillmore East in 1971, the Academy of Music found new life as the premier mid-range venue for rock and roll music. During the 1970’s it was far removed from the center of the Manhattan movie district, and had an amazing dual life - - - concert hall by night, and home to cheesy kung-fu movies by day. Three or four evenings a week, the cream of 1970’s rock bands came through, three bands a night, shows at 8 & 11:30 PM. It had a seating capacity of 3,000 and was known for its excellent acoustics.

In 1976, it was renamed the Palladium and featured other major groups such as Frank Zappa, the Bay City Rollers, and heavy metal acts such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Def Leppard, and Motorhead."

I think we all know a place like this. Looks like the site is now part of New York University.

Here's a picture of then and now.