Bob Ezrin, Before and After

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Bob Ezrin, Before and After

Post by livinluvin72 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:24 pm

The way I saw it, beginning with LITD all the way through BDB, Bob Ezrin didn’t just record your songs as you originally created them but was a very active producer for you guys, often deconstructing your songs and building them back up again.
Neal has often said that Bob was the 6th member of Alice Cooper.
In the VH-1 Special, Behind the Music, Bob said, “The push and pull between me and Michael Bruce in the early days had a lot to do with developing the Alice Cooper sound.”
I know the push and pull can lead to much creativity but by MOL, this dynamic between Mike and Bob fractured and lead to the disappearance of Bob Ezrin and Jack Richardson had to step in to finish MOL.
Years later, after the R&RHOF Induction, you all reunite with Bob and bring your songs to 3 of Alice’s albums, W2MN, Paranormal and Detroit Stories.
I know a lot of water has passed under the bridge since the 70s but what was the dynamic with you, Mike, Neal and Bob back in the studio again? Was Bob actively critiquing your songs and reshaping them or did he just record whatever you guys decided to do?
Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Bob Ezrin, Before and After

Post by Dreary » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:23 am

It was very much like it had always been. Lots of ideas flying around and lots of humor.
Changes happen when you polish a song in the studio. Sometimes it's the band changing them.
Bob and Alice had a hand in changing some songs and others, like "Sound of A" and "Fireball" - well, compare them to the demos on the And So It Began album and you tell me.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:37 pm

I dont want to sound like a n00b but what is the record "so it all began"?
I did a search and found it to import for a crazy sum of money (i live in the UK)
Any plans on doing a cheap and chearful CD run as i would like to get my mits on it for sure.
(even a mp3 release on bandcamp or something?)

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:17 am

And So It Began is the title.
Reach out to Chris Penn at Good Records To Go in Dallas, Texas to see if there are any still available.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:05 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:24 pm
The way I saw it, beginning with LITD all the way through BDB, Bob Ezrin didn’t just record your songs as you originally created them but was a very active producer for you guys, often deconstructing your songs and building them back up again.
In the VH-1 Special, Behind the Music, Bob said, “The push and pull between me and Michael Bruce in the early days had a lot to do with developing the Alice Cooper sound.”
You may find this interview segment with Bob about the early days and Love It to Death insightful.
Video: https://youtu.be/hWyStX4tuYE
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:41 am

steven_crayn wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:05 am
livinluvin72 wrote:
You may find this interview segment with Bob about the early days and Love It to Death insightful.
Wow!
I didn't know this existed!
So interesting to hear the beginning of The Incredible, the Legendary Alice Cooper!
I wish he would have talked for a full hour about making LITD, then do 3 more 1-hour sessions talking about the making of Killer, SO and B$B!
Thanks for posting; really enjoyed!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:20 pm

livinluvin72 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:41 am
steven_crayn wrote:
livinluvin72 wrote:
Wow!
So interesting to hear the beginning of The Incredible, the Legendary Alice Cooper!
I wish he would have talked for a full hour about making LITD, then do 3 more 1-hour sessions talking about the making of Killer, SO and B$B!
There is more, which when i get time i’ll put on the Alice Cooper group unofficial YouTube channel, which you can subscribe to here
https://youtube.com/c/AliceCoopergroupunofficial
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:53 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:20 pm
livinluvin72 wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:

Wow!
There is more, which when i get time i’ll put on the Alice Cooper group unofficial YouTube channel, which you can subscribe to here
In this segment Bob talks about Killer
https://youtu.be/gK0scRRKIwA

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:19 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:53 pm
steven_crayn wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:20 pm
livinluvin72 wrote:

Wow!
In this segment Bob talks about Killer
https://youtu.be/gK0scRRKIwA
👍👍

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:54 pm

Bob Ezrin on not producing Muscle of Love, the band breaking up, and the origins of Welcome to My Nightmare.

https://youtu.be/B9u810p56wY

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:20 am

steven_crayn wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:54 pm
Bob Ezrin on not producing Muscle of Love, the band breaking up, and the origins of Welcome to My Nightmare.

https://youtu.be/B9u810p56wY
Good one, Steven :rock:
Thank You :clap:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:30 pm

I never said I no longer wanted to work with Bob. I didn't think Michael's request for him to listen to our new song in it's entirety before making changes was a valid reason to walk out. It was a bit tense but it was far from a heated conversation. And so I was sure that Bob would quickly realize that and all would be fine.

I did not record a solo album. I begged the band to stay together, but even Alice was saying he was tired of doing the Alice character, and he wanted to take a break and pursue acting. I continued to submit my songs to Alice, although that would go on for decades before any of my songs were accepted.

We weren't invited to do interviews. We were working on songs while Alice was absent doing interviews. That seemed fair and wise since Alice was exceptionally good at that, and because his "enhancements" were impossible for the rest of us to elaborate on because we only knew the real story and weren't as convincing when we were making stuff up. Plus, we thought creating the music was just as important as the publicity.

The name belonged to the group. Saying we had no right to ask him not to continue with his own name? With the name went the money. And we were made out to be the cause. Legally claiming it didn't make our exclusion right.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:29 pm

Had the band not been named “Alice Cooper,” it wouldn’t have been so easy for Alice to easily launch a solo career. It seemed that the public assumed he was “Alice Cooper” from day one because he was the lead singer. My question, Dennis, is did the band have any discussion or reservations early on that Vince would be perceived as Alice Cooper?

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:46 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:29 pm
. It seemed that the public assumed he was “Alice Cooper” from day one because he was the lead singer. My question, Dennis, is did the band have any discussion or reservations early on that Vince would be perceived as Alice Cooper?
This bit always gets me when discussing Vince/Alice , the band vs individual.

Vince/Alice was listed as Alice Coooper in the credits from the beginning , right from PFY so of course the public perceived him to be AC from the get go

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:25 am

Pretties For You credited all songs by Alice Cooper. Each of the five band members get 20% of the royalties for each and every one of those songs because, as we had all agreed, Alice Cooper was the name of our group.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:54 am

Dreary wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:25 am
Pretties For You credited all songs by Alice Cooper. Each of the five band members get 20% of the royalties for each and every one of those songs because, as we had all agreed, Alice Cooper was the name of our group.
But the inside gatefold portraits had Alice Cooper listed under Vinces portrait ?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:05 am

So you think it was fair that Vince continued with the songs, the show, and the image the band created?
And suddenly the name and all of the profits generated by all that we invented belonged to him one hundred percent?

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 am

Dreary wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:05 am
So you think it was fair that Vince continued with the songs, the show, and the image the band created?
And suddenly the name and all of the profits generated by all that we invented belonged to him one hundred percent?
No I Dont - categorically NO

But it has always confused me why , way before changing his name etc , Vince was always listed as and called Alice , its no wonder the public thought Alice Cooper was a person and not the band

I just wonder why he was always credited as being Alice Cooper from the very beginning when you were a band ?

Public Animal #9
Trash
Trash

Post by Public Animal #9 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:35 am

Dreary wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:05 am
My personal opinion is that what Alice (Vince) and Shep did was disgracefull and the whole original band to me, was the band. It took the combination and chemistry of all these best friends from the early days to make Alice Cooper the legend it is. I remember in 1975 being 15 years old and being devastated that the original band was not on Welcome To My Nightmare. The original band made my young, teenage years worth living and dreaming about. They were a gang and I loved them for it. Thank you Dennis, Mike, Neil, Glen and Vince for making the soundtracks for my early years growing up. You are loved and all true, early day fans know the score
:-)

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:22 pm

In the late 60's, when Vince was uncertain about his stage persona, I suggested he morph into a different character for each song. This gave him imaginary shields to work with. Fields of Regret called for a darker, more commanding character, which was the most popular with crowds. So I urged the band to pursue our strength by writing songs that would support that darker character. We were traveling a lot and had no rehearsal space so it took us a while to do that. Meanwhile, I discovered the make-up idea, wrote Black Juju, and built the Electric Chair, specifically for developing that character.

Of course Vince was instrumental in stepping into that role and the band supported that as a collaborative effort because it paved our way to our goal, which was to create a powerful dramatic theatrical presentation.
Neal wrote Hallowed Be My Name and Michael wrote Ballad Of Dwight Fry, and the band wrote Is It My Body for Neal's idea to include his snake in the show.

We saw the duality of the name as a plus. Manfred Mann had the same name as their keyboardist and you felt like a true fan if you understood that.

We all agreed with the duality but we didn't agree with promoting the character we all helped create as a single entity.