Relive One Great Gig

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Relive One Great Gig

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Hey Dennis,

Here's another flippant question for the weekend.

If you could go back and relive one gig you played with the Alice Cooper group, which one would it be?

Additionally, if you could relive one gig you witnessed by another artist, what would that one be?

Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Relive One Great Gig

Post by Dreary » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:36 pm

If I could omit the part about Glen getting his elbow slashed by shards of glass in a nearly disastrous accident in a revolving door, I loved playing at The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, Netherlands because the acoustics were perfection so every tonal nuance rang true.

My favorite show by other bands was in Tucson, Arizona in '66. The Young Rascals, the Animals, and the Yardbirds with Beck and Page (on bass). Glen and I stood against the stage directly in front of Beck's Vox amp. We watched all of the band's from there, then hung out with them backstage. The Blonde was there. Cindy was friends with the Yardbirds drummer Jim McCarty, they still stay in touch.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:59 am

Dreary wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:36 pm
If I could omit the part about Glen getting his elbow slashed by shards of glass in a nearly disastrous accident in a revolving door, I loved playing at The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, Netherlands because the acoustics were perfection so every tonal nuance rang true.
Wow, was Glen still able to play that show? Also, was it a lingering injury?
My real question is... Have you ever played Constitution Hall in D.C. ?
As an audience member I've found that there's not a bad seat (acoustically) in the house.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:09 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:59 am
Dreary wrote:
As an audience member I've found that there's not a bad seat (acoustically) in the house.
I wrote about the Concertgebouw show in my book. Yes, Glen poured some ketchup on his bandage and played a great show.
I don't recall playing Constitution Hall in D.C. but the Timeline in the History section on this sight might have some insight.

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:10 pm

Dreary wrote:

My favorite show by other bands was in Tucson, Arizona in '66. The Young Rascals, the Animals, and the Yardbirds with Beck and Page (on bass). Glen and I stood against the stage directly in front of Beck's Vox amp. We watched all of the band's from there, then hung out with them backstage. The Blonde was there. Cindy was friends with the Yardbirds drummer Jim McCarty, they still stay in touch.
Beautiful hall!

https://img2.10bestmedia.com/Images/Pho ... 241805.jpg

https://www.peutz-tr.com/sites/peutz-tr ... terdam.jpg

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:55 am

:smack:
Last edited by Daggers & Contracts on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:06 am

Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:55 am
Dreary wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:09 am
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:59 am

I wrote about the Concertgebouw show in my book. Yes, Glen poured some ketchup on his bandage and played a great show.
I don't recall playing Constitution Hall in D.C. but the Timeline in the History section on this sight might have some insight.
Thanks Dr. D.,
I thought that maybe one of your later band incarnations may have played at DAR.
I saw SRV a couple of times plus Air Supply (sponsor tix). Lou Reed played there also.
I've read your book (Thanks!)
I just didn't remember that detail. You are a very welcome addition to this site. :clap: :HEART:
Any other venues that the acoustics were superior in your recollection?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:50 am

Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:06 am
Dreary wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:09 am

Thanks Dr. D.,
I thought that maybe one of your later band incarnations may have played at DAR.
I saw SRV a couple of times plus Air Supply (sponsor tix). Lou Reed played there also.
I just didn't remember that detail. You are a very welcome addition to this site. :clap: :HEART:
Generally, the venues that were former movie theaters had the best acoustics. Opera Houses are excellent. Any room's acoustics improves with a sold out crowd.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:20 am

Dreary wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:50 am
Any room's acoustics improves with a sold out crowd.
I concur, an occasional venue in my area is Ritchie Coliseum. Part of the University of MD.
It's a large concrete bunker. Cinderblock construction. I've seen many great shows there but not this one.
KIX (Local MD Band) recorded their "Classic" Live album there.
The band is still performing after 40+ years! :clap:
They were a "Hair Metal" band but, they have a rabid following.
Have you ever crossed paths w/them?

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:28 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:10 pm
Dreary wrote:

Beautiful hall!

https://img2.10bestmedia.com/Images/Pho ... 241805.jpg

https://www.peutz-tr.com/sites/peutz-tr ... terdam.jpg
I'm surprised they let you play here. In the photo links there is an orchestra playing. They let Alice Cooper play there? Did they not know who Alice Cooper was? I say this because I read that you had wanted to do Alice in the Palace in 1973, i.e. bring the B$B show to the Palace Theatre on Broadway, but the palace pulled out at the last-minute thinking AC fans would trash the place. I don't know maybe the whole story was a publicity stunt by Alice. Were European fans more subdued? Was any damage done to the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam after you played there or did the fans leave in a respectful and dignified manner? Thanks

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:17 am

Dreary wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:50 am
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:06 am

Thanks Dr. D.,
Generally, the venues that were former movie theaters had the best acoustics. Opera Houses are excellent. Any room's acoustics improves with a sold out crowd.
I certainly agree with You on this...When We lived in Maryland, my wife and I were impressed with how good the sound was in The Warner Opera House , DAR Constitution Hall (both DC) and The Rams Head Tavern (Annapolis).

In New Hampshire, The Flying Monkey (Plymouth), The Capital Centre (Concord) and The Tupelo Ballroom (Derry) always deliver the goods. We saw Blue Coupe in the old Tupelo (2013) and although it reminded Me of a big barn, it still had better than expected acoustics.

Thanks again for interacting with all the STUKs!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:09 pm

Some bands like Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Enya, U2, and Florence and The Machine are less effected, or even enhanced by rooms with boomy acoustics.