Sight Seeing

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Sight Seeing

Post by livinluvin72 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:57 pm

During your time as Alice Cooper in the 70s, you guys toured the US, Canada, Europe and even Brazil. I know that this was business; to hit as many cities as possible to showcase your music to as many concert goers as possible and to do it as efficiently as possible with little lay over time.
Given that; from LITD to MOL, did you or the other band members, ever leave the hotel to sight see a city you were in or was it, “No, with our freaky long hair we were afraid to go out”?
I’ve read in numerous places that Alice, as his fame increased, had become a virtual recluse like Elvis in the 70s never leaving the hotel room except if you toured Los Angeles or New York City then Alice would venture forth to hob nob with celebs. In the book Billion Dollar Baby, there is also mention that Alice left the hotel to golf once.
How about you and Cindy or the other band members? Did you guys just go from plane to airport, to limo to hotel, to hall/arena, back to hotel, stay there until limo takes you to another airport, another city ad infinitum or did you venture forth to the see the sights?
Was there ever time to sight see and if so, did you?
Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Sight Seeing

Post by Dreary » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:53 pm

Sure, we all went out. Alice still does. His reclusive years might have been during his dark era but he and Sheryl go out.

Alice Cooper had a long stretch where we would all go out on our own, you know, trying to get away from the others for awhile. But over and over, it seemed like we would all end up at the same restaurant, movie, or at the same party.
Once, Charlie, Cindy, and I were determined to get lost down a side street in Amsterdam. We came upon a cozy looking restaurant and looked in the window. The other guys were sitting right there at the window table.

Cindy and I ventured out a lot with Amazing Randi. I didn't have to worry about being recognized because, wherever we were, Randi always drew all of the attention.

The main hurdles for sight seeing while touring are the late nights and early mornings and lots of traveling. Interviews, sound checks, and meeting up with friends takes time. The biggest challenge is finding time to sleep. In our glory years, we were learning how to balance out all of that as we went, but these days, Alice's road management has it all down. And with advanced technology, even sound checks aren't nearly as necessary as they used to be.