Extended versions

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Extended versions

Post by Dannorama » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 pm

On the BDB DVD-Audio, there is an extended version of Raped and Freezin' that goes on just a little too long (IMO). Just curious if the longer version was recorded that way and edited down, or if the original shorter song was stretched via studio wizardry. There was also a longer version of Generation Landslide on the Quad album, with Neal's drums going off like fireworks at the end. What's your recollection? Any others that I missed?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Extended versions

Post by Dreary » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:38 pm

I would have to hear the BDB/DVD audio version of "Raped and Freezin'". I don't think I have a copy of that. If I do, I would have to do some serious digging to find it.

I do know that, in the spirit of variety, some quadrophonic versions of songs didn't fade out but continued throughout the jammed outros.

The lengthy outros were something that we did when we all felt we had nailed a take. It was as if we were all signaling to each other that nobody had made a mistake, and it was also a bit of a celebration. We didn't play out on questionable takes.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:29 am

Dreary wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:38 pm
I would have to hear the BDB/DVD audio version of "Raped and Freezin'". I don't think I have a copy of that...
I took that as a request. It took some doing, but I did it! What do you think? Did you record this version?

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:52 am

Dannorama wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:29 am
Dreary wrote:
I would have to hear the BDB/DVD audio version of "Raped and Freezin'". I don't think I have a copy of that...
I took that as a request. It took some doing, but I did it! Here's a YouTube link to the extended version of "R'n'F" on the BDB DVD-A. (I "wrecked" it by putting in :10 seconds of tone at the top. Hopefully, that's enough to keep the fuzz happy.) What do you think? Did you record this version?
Already down

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:03 am

mestreech wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:52 am
Dannorama wrote:
Dreary wrote:
I took that as a request. It took some doing, but I did it! Here's a YouTube link to the extended version of "R'n'F" on the BDB DVD-A. (I "wrecked" it by putting in :10 seconds of tone at the top. Hopefully, that's enough to keep the fuzz happy.) What do you think? Did you record this version?
Already down
Oops! They already pulled it. - DD

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:07 am

Dreary wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:03 am
mestreech wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:52 am
Dannorama wrote:

I took that as a request. It took some doing, but I did it! Here's a safe link to the extended version of "R'n'F" on the BDB DVD-A. (I "wrecked" it by putting in :10 seconds of tone at the top. Hopefully, that's enough to keep the fuzz happy.) What do you think? Did you record this version?
Already down
Oops! They already pulled it. - DD
Well, that didn't take long! Stinkin' fuzz. I changed the link - try it again.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:48 am

Okay, I listened a couple of times through.
I must admit it's a bit of a stumper. We were known for our longer arrangements and Bob Ezrin was known for whittling them down and making them more concise.
First listen struck me as it having been edited for a longer running time - perhaps because I'm used to hearing the shorter version. Second listen got me leaning toward that being how we played it.
One thing for sure - that bass part isn't too shabby!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:39 am

On the Raped and Freezin Quad mix, the 4 bars that follow the first chorus during which Alice says “ok boys”, is simply repeated after the second chorus, but without vocals before the guitar solos come in. Those second 4 bars after the second chorus were just cut on the non Quad version and the guitar solo(s) come straight in, and the song sounds better for it.

A masterpiece, and those two 8 bar guitar solos blend so well together. Steve Hunter played the second 8 bar solo, and comes in with that Albert King blues lick, which still gives me chills.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:10 pm

Since nobody asked, I went ahead and updated the link anyway. Now you will find the Quad version of RnF, as well as the "fireworks" ending to Generation Landslide. These are done simply to let those who don't have the Quad album to hear what Steven and I are talking about. I acoustically recorded these on my phone, so the quality is iffy. (Please forgive the vinyl pops. It's an old record.)

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:02 pm

The fireworks ending was Neal's way of announcing that he thought we had a good take.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:50 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:02 pm
The fireworks ending was Neal's way of announcing that he thought we had a good take.
Neal was right. You were right too, Dennis! That bass part is great. Thanks again!