Gene Vincent & Jim Morrison

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Gene Vincent & Jim Morrison

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi Mr D !

I wanted to know.... when you played as a back-up band for Gene Vincent, was Alice playing with you (playing harmonica in that case, I suppose) ? Did Gene said something to you guys about the 'chicken accident' afterwards, and most of all, did you get to know what he thought about "Return of the spiders" ?

And also : what did Jim Morrison think about "Love it to death" ?

Thank you !
Steven Lee Cooper peeks in the forums when he feels really brave....

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Gene Vincent & Jim Morrison

Post by Dreary » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pm

When we backed up Gene Vincent, the timing couldn't have been worse. We had just finished our set so we were out of breath and the stage had been splattered with watermelon juice and there were feathers sticking to everything, including us.

Our feather storm and the demise of our pet chicken had left 70,000 people, including Gene, in shock.
Gene wasn't scheduled to follow our show. He was rushed out because the promoter wanted to justify our inclusion in the Rock and Roll Revival theme. He had only seen us in blue jeans and white t-shirts, which is what we intended to wear on stage when we backed him. I think it's important to say that Gene hadn't been on stage in many years, and he had never played such a large festival crowd, and, even in his glory days, he was known to have stage fright.

We stood back and played his hits as faithfully as we could. Alice played tambourine and maraca's.

It wasn't the way we wanted it to go down. It was a tough act to follow for Gene and us.

That was the last time we saw him so I never heard anything about his thoughts on "Return Of The Spiders" which was released 7 months after the Toronto show.

I don't know what Morrison thought about Love It To Death.
I do remember Robby Krieger smiling and toasting a bottle of beer toward the stage at our show at the Whisky in '69. In more recent years, Robby played guitar on a couple of Blue Coupe songs.