Love it to Death album cover

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Love it to Death album cover

Post by Dannorama » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:05 pm

I have always assumed that the handwriting on the cover is Alice's own. True? If so, any idea how many tries before he nailed it? Looks like it was done with a simple ball-point pen. Also! Was the thumb really intended to be so risqué? It looks to me like he was just holding his outfit together, and someone blew it out of proportion. ...Now that I type that, was it just another Shep outrage? (Your clear stage wear comes to mind.) I admire his ability to provoke a reaction. He really kicked down some doors back then.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Love it to Death album cover

Post by Dreary » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Alice wrote the album title, likely in one or two tries.
The thumb wasn't planned, and even though we liked the publicity it evoked, it did cause problems getting the record into stores. The time it took to censor the cover hurt sales.
Our clear stage clothes was the band's idea but Joe and Shep did try to turn it into a publicity stunt. In my opinion, that didn't work because we were playing at Thee Experience on Sunset Boulevard, which was a stone's throw from the Classic Cat and other strip clubs on Sunset. It was a brilliant effort though.
When you say "he" kicked down doors, you're partially right, however, you're likely assigning him all of the credit for many of the ideas created by the band.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Dreary wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:51 pm
The thumb wasn't planned, and even though we liked the publicity it evoked, it did cause problems getting the record into stores. The time it took to censor the cover hurt sales.
Our clear stage clothes was the band's idea but Joe and Shep did try to turn it into a publicity stunt. In my opinion, that didn't work because we were playing at Thee Experience on Sunset Boulevard, which was a stone's throw from the Classic Cat and other strip clubs on Sunset. It was a brilliant effort though.
When you say "he" kicked down doors, you're partially right, however, you're likely assigning him all of the credit for many of the ideas created by the band.
Thanks for all of the clarity on this. I especially appreciate your mentioning Joe, too. I think that Shep blazed some new trails, but I don't think that he acted alone. You each have my respect, as always. By the way - since I have your attention, here's something goofy... I often see this logo, and it always seems oddly familiar. Wonder why....
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:25 am

Dannorama wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:47 pm
Dreary wrote:
Thanks for all of the clarity on this. I especially appreciate your mentioning Joe, too. I think that Shep blazed some new trails, but I don't think that he acted alone. You each have my respect, as always. By the way - since I have your attention, here's something goofy... I often see this logo, and it always seems oddly familiar. Wonder why....
It could be copyright infringement but, hard to litigate if it's altered just slightly.
Does it go that far? Only Dr. Dreary can exhume this conundrum.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:15 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:25 am
Dannorama wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:47 pm
Dreary wrote:
It could be copyright infringement but, hard to litigate if it's altered just slightly.
Does it go that far? Only Dr. Dreary can exhume this conundrum.
Marvel Comics Daredevil had interlocking D's as well.