The Airline Pocket Bass

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

The Airline Pocket Bass

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:55 am

Good evening, Dennis.

Someone sent me a pic of your first bass guitar, which is displayed in an Arizona museum.

The artwork on the bass is super cool. Is the main design some sort of adhesive shelf paper or hand-painted? Either way, great job.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Airline Pocket Bass

Post by Dreary » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:24 am

I like to say my Airline bass barely survived an explosion in a psychedelic factory.
I wrote in my book Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!: My Adventures in The Alice Cooper Group that the Airline was smashed when the band's overloaded van rolled three times on the San Bernardino freeway with the band and equipment in it. The headstock was broken off of the Airline's neck. I took it to a music store in Hollywood for repair. The legendary jazz guitar player Barney Kessel repaired it himself. When I picked it up, he told me to take it to someone else for future repairs because the spinning wheels gave him a headache. He was referring to the plastic sheet that I had made into a pick guard that had a 3-D effect that appeared to have wheels that would seem to spin with the slightest movement.