Gifts from your fans

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Gifts from your fans

Post by Dannorama » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:57 pm

Just watched you on Indie Power's You Tube channel, and it made me wonder - do you remember your first tangible gift from a fan? Can you describe some of the more memorable things that you've been given? Remember! I'll bring you a homemade pie (for eating, not throwing) if you jump onstage in Charlotte. That's about the only thing that I can make worth giving, and yes, I'm bribing you.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Gifts from your fans

Post by Dreary » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:16 am

Early on, fans would give us gifts in the form of dinners, which were much appreciated and helped keep the band going.
Maggie Denver (Bob Denver's ex) would make Pot Brownies for the band.
That was in the 60's but in the 70's, gifts of food were accepted but became riskier to consume.
Toodie Mueller once discovered pot growing near a dam in Arizona. She picked the plants and put them under the windshield wipers of her baby blue Mustang to dry in the arid desert heat during her drive back to Phoenix. She didn't smoke pot but she thought the band, and I mean Glen Buxton, would like the gift.
Steve Mac McLennon painted an Earwigs T-Shirt for me.
Paul Brenton gave me a bass he made to look like the School's Out desk.
In recent decades, I rarely go anywhere without someone giving me a CD of their music. I have mountains of them and no time to listen due to struggling to find enough time to write my own music.
Personally, a few words of appreciation is all the gift I need from fans.
As for your pie, if I'm in Charlotte, which is unlikely, If Alice invites me, I'll jump up on stage.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Gifts from your fans

Post by Dannorama » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:22 pm

I must say that that SO desk bass is a thing of beauty! What a great idea. Even tough you and I have never met, it's still a joy to converse with you, Dennis. I have known about you for close to 50 years. (You guys have helped keep me young!) I think that the "School's Out" album is your best recorded performance. I could rattle on, but your playing makes the music so much fun. I have always thought that early 70s bassists really stood out as musicians. You always get top mention from me. I think that Paul McCartney once said there "was a germ in the air" during that time... You had to be good, because everyone else was better. (Or something like that.) You and Neal helped me understand the rhythm section relationship between bass and drums. My instrument is drums, and Neal is my first drum hero. During his Halo of Flies drum break, by studying him, I learned how to play triplets and quarter notes at the same time. Thanks again for everything!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.