The Baz story

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

The Baz story

Post by Dannorama » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi Dennis. I thought that I'd tell you a story about friendship. (Cue the violins.)
I joined this forum in late 2004, so that I could share my love of everything Alice. This "thing" that you helped create has been a constant companion to me for all of my life, and I had finally found the right place to share my interest. Si Halley has had quite a few dedicated fans contribute to his fantastic web site, but in my book, Baz Howes is unique.
Baz told me that he joined this forum to comment on a post that I'd sent. He loved Alice Cooper, too, and he let me know that he thought we could be friends. That struck up an instant camaraderie, and the world became a bit smaller that day. I was now in touch with an English guy who shared the same tastes and interests as me. I'd have never known about Baz if it weren't for Alice Cooper and Si Halley.
About Baz, you have never met a more fervent ambassador than him about his beloved West Yorkshire. It was non-stop. It got to the point where he started sending me little gifts. In fact, I owe Baz a tremendous debt of gratitude for inspiring my love of fridge magnets. One of the first things he sent me was a magnet of the Yorkshire Rose. Naturally, I had to reciprocate with a bunch of stuff from the USA. As much as he loved England ("God's Country"), Baz truly admired the United States, or as he affably put it, "the colonies." Soon, I had grown a nice collection of stuff from all of the places he'd visited.
Our pen-pal friendship was enhanced in 2009 when he and his lovely wife Jill came over to our shores for a visit. We hosted them for a week, and my wife even threw them a full-blown Thanksgiving dinner (in October) with friends and neighbors. Their visit was filled with highlights, including a road trip to Tennessee where we visited with Mr. D, another friend of this forum. In the end, they were exhausted and thrilled. It was tough to put them back on the plane.
Our intention was to go over to England and visit them, but that never came to be. We lost Baz a few years ago, but I think of him daily - thanks to all of the reminders decorating the fridge. He was a gentle beast, and a kind and generous soul. I'm sure that there are all sorts of stories from many forum members who loved him.
I wanted you to know about Baz. To know him was to love him. He would have been absolutely thrilled to know that you had joined this forum. I'll bet that he wouldn't have given you a moment's rest! He loved you guys, and everything that you helped create. It was his cranky old love that brought us all together. Long live Baz Howes!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Baz story

Post by Dreary » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks for your well written tribute to your dear friend. I'm not sure if I've ever met Baz but his name sounds familiar.
It's humbling to hear how our music brings people together. It's the magic of music.
The songs created by musicians connects them, and it also connects all of the people that relate to that music. All of that energy doesn't just go out into space, it comes back around and intertwines everyone in a good way.
I like to think that Baz is somewhere hanging out with G.B.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Baz story

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:44 am

Dreary wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:57 pm
Thanks for your well written tribute to your dear friend. I'm not sure if I've ever met Baz but his name sounds familiar.
It's humbling to hear how our music brings people together. It's the magic of music.
The songs created by musicians connects them, and it also connects all of the people that relate to that music. All of that energy doesn't just go out into space, it comes back around and intertwines everyone in a good way.
I like to think that Baz is somewhere hanging out with G.B.
You did indeed meet Baz. Maybe Sheffield? London? Either way, he met you when you signed this copy of Bones From the Yard. (It was one of his last gifts to me.) Baz would be "chuffed" to know that he left somewhat of an impression upon you. Thanks again. Hope all is well.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.