DDP

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

DDP

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:08 pm

I think your album “Bones From The Yard” is the best album of anything ACG or Alice Cooper related in the past 15 years. Are there any plans of another DDP in the works ? I seriously never get tired of playing this album, a true mark of a great consistent album in my mind.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: DDP

Post by Dreary » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:22 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:08 pm
I think your album “Bones From The Yard” is the best album of anything ACG or Alice Cooper related in the past 15 years. Are there any plans of another DDP in the works ? I seriously never get tired of playing this album, a true mark of a great consistent album in my mind.
DDP worked very hard to make that album and it's great to hear people say so many good things about it. I wish we had felt as appreciated when we released it and while we were out promoting it. There are 960 CD's still waiting to be purchased. If those sold, I'm still not sure that we would be out of the red.
One club, the Chance in Poughkeepsie, New York, kept DDP waiting in the dressing room long after our show time. I found out that they were trying to bump us for an Alice Cooper tribute act. An Alice Cooper tribute act!!! They were going to bump us and stiff us for our pay. I blew up and they finally let us play and our encore was significant.
Afterward, the club owner said he had no idea that we were that good.
I haven't set foot in the joint since.
Now that I've vented a bit, I would like to thank the great Ian Hunter for singing and playing on Bones From The Yard. Not only did he play but he was our ongoing provider of humor and expert opinions.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:26 am

Loved Ian Hunters “Shrunken Heads” album too, around the same time as the “Bones From The Yard” if I remember right.
Such a shame that DDP album didn’t take off big time, no fillers on that album at all…. and that’s some story about that club, you must’ve been fuming.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:34 am

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:26 am
Loved Ian Hunters “Shrunken Heads” album too, around the same time as the “Bones From The Yard” if I remember right.
Such a shame that DDP album didn’t take off big time, no fillers on that album at all…. and that’s some story about that club, you must’ve been fuming.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I sang a simple background part - the whoa oh oh's - on "Shrunken Heads" and joined the gang vocals and handclaps on "Brainwashed." Ian is working on a new album now.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:12 pm

Cheers, I will lookout for his upcoming album.
Off the DDP subject, I was one of the thousand Brits who never had the chance to see the original band , thanks to the ban on you guys from an uptight English politician. I think it was a certain Leo Abse who’s name I seem to remember who thought he knew what was best for the younger British generation back in the day. Although I got to see Alice do his Nightmare show at Wembley in “75” …it was a bitter sweet occasion.
After living in The States for the past 30 years, I was unfortunately back in London to help my father through some bad health at the same time the original group played a short Nashville set on an Alice tour. Then when you all played at Leeds and Wembley, I was back in The States 😤😡, but….
2 years ago, me and the missus went to see Deep Purple in Tampa on the 28th September. She told me she’d booked us into a hotel near the airport , as we were meant to pick up a Canadian friend ( so she said ) the next morning. Unknown to me , when we got to the airport she parked our truck in the short term car park and passed me a backpack ??? Then to my surprise she said, we have a flight to Connecticut 😳. Looking at that date of the Deep Purple concert, you probably know what’s coming next.
My missus , who had heard me say countless of times “ I really wished I had seen the original line up live”, had bought tickets for the BDB’s show in Danbury at the Fore ‘n’ Aft concert……. and although it wasn’t the biggest of festivals, she could see what it meant to me, to be front row watching you guys play live. It was a shame the light technician messed up Michaels lighting on the first couple of numbers, but the rest of the show….in particular “Black Juju” more than made up for that.
Sorry to go on a bit here, but just a side note….just about when we were pulling into Danbury airport a few days later to return to Tampa, a WW2 aircraft tragically came down and crashed into the airports outbuildings , apparently it was flying paying customers to experience a WW2 plane. We had to drive to Boston to get back home after they shut the airport down. A bit long winded , but what a few days that was. I finally got to see 3 of the originals that shaped my young impressionable music mind. 🇬🇧🇺🇸

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:58 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:12 pm
Cheers, I will lookout for his upcoming album.
Off the DDP subject, I was one of the thousand Brits who never had the chance to see the original band , thanks to the ban on you guys from an uptight English politician. I think it was a certain Leo Abse who’s name I seem to remember who thought he knew what was best for the younger British generation back in the day. Although I got to see Alice do his Nightmare show at Wembley in “75” …it was a bitter sweet occasion.
After living in The States for the past 30 years, I was unfortunately back in London to help my father through some bad health at the same time the original group played a short Nashville set on an Alice tour. Then when you all played at Leeds and Wembley, I was back in The States 😤😡, but….
2 years ago, me and the missus went to see Deep Purple in Tampa on the 28th September. She told me she’d booked us into a hotel near the airport , as we were meant to pick up a Canadian friend ( so she said ) the next morning. Unknown to me , when we got to the airport she parked our truck in the short term car park and passed me a backpack ??? Then to my surprise she said, we have a flight to Connecticut 😳. Looking at that date of the Deep Purple concert, you probably know what’s coming next.
My missus , who had heard me say countless of times “ I really wished I had seen the original line up live”, had bought tickets for the BDB’s show in Danbury at the Fore ‘n’ Aft concert……. and although it wasn’t the biggest of festivals, she could see what it meant to me, to be front row watching you guys play live. It was a shame the light technician messed up Michaels lighting on the first couple of numbers, but the rest of the show….in particular “Black Juju” more than made up for that.
Sorry to go on a bit here, but just a side note….just about when we were pulling into Danbury airport a few days later to return to Tampa, a WW2 aircraft tragically came down and crashed into the airports outbuildings , apparently it was flying paying customers to experience a WW2 plane. We had to drive to Boston to get back home after they shut the airport down. A bit long winded , but what a few days that was. I finally got to see 3 of the originals that shaped my young impressionable music mind. 🇬🇧🇺🇸
That's quite a story. I'm sure your wife chalked up some gold stars for being so considerate.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:07 pm

Definitely, big time….she’s a star 🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 pm

"Kandahar" is a great opener, but I've always thought that the second song on any album is what I listen to the most. It often seems like a better indication of the record's strength. "Me and My Boys" is a great example of that theory.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 pm
"Kandahar" is a great opener, but I've always thought that the second song on any album is what I listen to the most. It often seems like a better indication of the record's strength. "Me and My Boys" is a great example of that theory.
Traditionally, record companies wanted the single to be the opening song on the album. We raised some concern when we insisted that "Eighteen" be the second song.

Song order is important and often has to be decided under a looming deadline.

Sure, I could go with your suggestion of opening Bones From The Yard with "Do you wanna see guts splattered on your TV screen?"
Perhaps have "Kandahar" follow "Man is a Beast" leading into "Red Room."

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:39 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Traditionally, record companies wanted the single to be the opening song on the album. We raised some concern when we insisted that "Eighteen" be the second song.

Sure, I could go with your suggestion of opening Bones From The Yard with "Do you wanna see guts splattered on your TV screen?"
I knew it! I just knew that it wasn't you doing the sequencing. I agree, by the way.
So... What would be your "Director's Cut" of this album?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:08 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:48 pm
Dreary wrote:
Dannorama wrote:

I knew it! I just knew that it wasn't you doing the sequencing. I agree, by the way.
Director's Cut? I'll go with what I just suggested. It's just not in my heart to spend creative energy on the past when I have so many exciting new things in the works. I'd rather hear your idea of a Director's Cut.
And while you're at it, if you're up for it, how about coming up with a song order for the Love It To Death album that follows our original concept of having all of the dark songs on one side (as represented in the front cover photo) and the positive songs on the flip side (as represented in the back cover photo).

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:08 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Dreary wrote:

Director's Cut? I'll go with what I just suggested. It's just not in my heart to spend creative energy on the past when I have so many exciting new things in the works. I'd rather hear your idea of a Director's Cut.
And while you're at it, if you're up for it, how about coming up with a song order for the Love It To Death album that follows our original concept of having all of the dark songs on one side (as represented in the front cover photo) and the positive songs on the flip side (as represented in the back cover photo).
Thought you'd like to see my autographed copy of this CD. I have always liked the sound of this disc. It sounds especially good in the car. Close and punchy. If I were to make a director's cut, I may have kept the top 3 songs in order, then moved "Little Kid" to the last song. Then, I'd take "Red Room" and move it to follow "Needle in the Red." The desert-y landscape of "Red Room" would be a neat contrast to the city sound of "Needle in the Red." (Great song by the way.)
As far a LITD, I'd never heard the Dark/Light theory before. The idea makes perfect sense. If that's the case, how about making the record light/dark? (I really like "Eighteen" being the second song.)

Light:
Sun Arise (shorten the fade, though)
Eighteen
Body
Caught in a Dream
Long Way

Dark:
Second Coming
Dwight Frye
Hallowed
Black Juju
Last edited by Dannorama on Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm

Dreary wrote:
Dannorama wrote:
Dreary wrote:

Thought you'd like to see my autographed copy of this CD. I have always liked the sound of this disc. It sounds especially good in the car. Close and punchy. If I were to make a director's cut, I may have kept the top 3 songs in order, then moved "Little Kid" to the last song. Then, I'd take "Red Room" and move it to follow "Needle in the Red." The desert-y landscape of "Red Room" would be a neat contrast to the city sound of "Needle in the Red." (Great song by the way.)
As far a LITD, I'd never heard the Dark/Light theory before. The idea makes perfect sense. If that's the case, how about making the record light/dark? (I really like "Eighteen" being the second song.)

Light:
Eighteen
Body
Caught in a Dream
Long Way

Dark:
Second Coming
Dwight Frye
Hallowed
Black Juju

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm
Dreary wrote:
Dannorama wrote:

Light:
Eighteen
Body
Caught in a Dream
Long Way

Dark:
Second Coming
Dwight Frye
Hallowed
Black Juju

Of course, you know that every list has an infinite amount of opposing opinions.
This looks pretty good. I'll give it a listen when I can find time.
Now, imagine seven passionately opinionated people with only a couple of hours of very expensive studio time trying to agree on the ultimate song order.