Story Time

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Story Time

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:37 pm

You said that being a first-time book author, your book publisher limited the number of pages they were willing to print. Thus, you said there were many stories still to be told that didn’t make it into the book.
Could you grace us with a story that didn’t make it into the book as if we were all sitting around the camp fire?
Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Story Time

Post by Dreary » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:49 pm

livinluvin72 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:37 pm
You said that being a first-time book author, your book publisher limited the number of pages they were willing to print. Thus, you said there were many stories still to be told that didn’t make it into the book.
Could you grace us with a story that didn’t make it into the book as if we were all sitting around the camp fire?
Thanks
There's a story that actually happened around a campfire. In 1965, the Cortez Track Team had hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to spend a couple of nights. The Earwigs drummer, John Speer, Vince and I had secretly brought a rubber mask of the Creature from The Black Lagoon because we knew our track coach prided himself on telling scary campfire stories.
While Coach Smith was reeling off a tale, John, Vince and I snuck off to the nearby river as we had planned. Vince and I were to run back to camp yelling about a creature in the river. And when everybody got there, John was to be in the river wearing the mask. John stayed there and Vince and I headed back. We turned off the flashlight so we wouldn't be spotted by our teammates. What we hadn't planned on is that deep down between those canyon walls, it's pitch dark, and we got a bit lost. We heard a voice and saw a light and realized that we had wandered into someone else's campsite. A guy came out of his tent and we hid behind a tree. The guy staggered over to a nearby tree and took a leak. Then he shined his light on us. I guess he was so drunk and sleepy that he didn't want to deal with it, so he just staggered back into his tent. We decided to bail on our Creature gag.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:18 pm

That's a fun story...! Sounds like you have always had an energetic imagination. Since we're on the subject of stories, can you shed some light on this? Cameron Crowe once said that the airplane confession in his movie Almost Famous was based on an actual event that happened during the Billion Dollar Babies tour. Without naming names, do you recall this? I can't remember if you mentioned this in your book. (Apologies if you did!)
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:18 pm
That's a fun story...! Sounds like you have always had an energetic imagination. Since we're on the subject of stories, can you shed some light on this? Cameron Crowe once said that the airplane confession in his movie Almost Famous was based on an actual event that happened during the Billion Dollar Babies tour. Without naming names, do you recall this? I can't remember if you mentioned this in your book. (Apologies if you did!)
We had a few scary flights but never any revealing confessions. It was more like everybody was exceptionally quiet with occasional cursing.