All The Girls Love Alice

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Post Reply
mot$$33
Trash
Trash
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 am

All The Girls Love Alice

Post by mot$$33 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Dennis—thanks for providing such awesome insights, and forgive me if this has been discussed. Do you remember any details around Elton John’s song, All The Girls Love Alice? The Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album came out same year as Billion Dollar Babies.

I’ve heard varying stories, such as it was originally a tribute to Alice or the band, but was rewritten before recording; that Elton was jealous of The ACG’s success; or, that it had absolutely nothing to do with you guys. Thanks!

User avatar
Dreary
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Dreary » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Did Elton write those lyrics or did Bernie? Not long after that, Bernie would be working with Alice.
I don't know if the lyric was referring to Alice, as in Alice Cooper, but I'm hard pressed to think of any other Alice.
Backstage at the Hollywood Bowl, following our extravaganza performance, Elton was in our dressing room praising our show and going on and on about how we dressed.
Of course, we loved Elton's exceptionally energetic showmanship, and the songs, so it was a mutual admiration conversation.
When we were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Elton was there to present an award to Leon Russell. The final song of the ceremony was "Da Doo Ron Ron" performed by Darlene Love and all of the musicians that participated in the ceremony. It was amazing.

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2115
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:20 am

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is a Classic in more ways than one. :love:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

User avatar
Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:40 am
Contact:

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Rob » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:35 am

All The Young Girls Love Alice
It must be true A_Michael said so

User avatar
Dannorama
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:00 pm

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Dannorama » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Talk about magic. Here's that "Da Doo Ron Ron" performance. Hopefully the link takes you directly to the clip. (If not, it starts at 10:02.) I saw the ceremony, but I do not recall seeing this performance. Thanks, Dennis!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2115
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:56 pm

That was sweet! It worked. :clap:
Sorry that we had to scroll through the credits while the
Band & Vocalists were jamming!
David Letterman brought Darlene Love back every year for Christmas.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

User avatar
Dreary
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Dreary » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:56 pm
That was sweet! It worked. :clap:
Sorry that we had to scroll through the credits while the
Band & Vocalists were jamming!
David Letterman brought Darlene Love back every year for Christmas.
I tend to think Michael, Neal, Glen, and I often get shortchanged on our contributions to what we created. But when we were standing in the wings of the Grand Ballroom at the Waldorf-Astoria, all tuned up and ready to play and get inducted into the R&RHoF, and Darlene Love was giving her moving acceptance speech, I realized our situation was nothing compared to hers. Even though it came decades late, the awards made all of us feel a lot more appreciated.

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2115
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 am

Dreary wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:53 pm
Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:56 pm
That was sweet! It worked. :clap:
Sorry that we had to scroll through the credits while the
Band & Vocalists were jamming!
David Letterman brought Darlene Love back every year for Christmas.
I tend to think Michael, Neal, Glen, and I often get shortchanged on our contributions to what we created. But when we were standing in the wings of the Grand Ballroom at the Waldorf-Astoria, all tuned up and ready to play and get inducted into the R&RHoF, and Darlene Love was giving her moving acceptance speech, I realized our situation was nothing compared to hers. Even though it came decades late, the awards made all of us feel a lot more appreciated.
Thanks Dennis,
I always felt that Letterman & Paul Shaffer never discounted the musical artist's that appeared on their show. :clap: Warren Zevon in particular would fill in for Paul during Orthodox Jewish holiday's. But, when his cancer was getting the better of him The Late Show dedicated a whole show to Warren! :HEART:
An interview & at least 3 songs!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

User avatar
Dreary
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: All The Girls Love Alice

Post by Dreary » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:50 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 am
Dreary wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:53 pm
Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:56 pm
That was sweet! It worked. :clap:
Sorry that we had to scroll through the credits while the
Band & Vocalists were jamming!
David Letterman brought Darlene Love back every year for Christmas.
I tend to think Michael, Neal, Glen, and I often get shortchanged on our contributions to what we created. But when we were standing in the wings of the Grand Ballroom at the Waldorf-Astoria, all tuned up and ready to play and get inducted into the R&RHoF, and Darlene Love was giving her moving acceptance speech, I realized our situation was nothing compared to hers. Even though it came decades late, the awards made all of us feel a lot more appreciated.
Thanks Dennis,
I always felt that Letterman & Paul Shaffer never discounted the musical artist's that appeared on their show. :clap: Warren Zevon in particular would fill in for Paul during Orthodox Jewish holiday's. But, when his cancer was getting the better of him The Late Show dedicated a whole show to Warren! :HEART:
An interview & at least 3 songs!
My favorite Zevon song is "Desperado Under The Eves".

Post Reply