Hard Hearted Alice

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Hard Hearted Alice

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Hey Dennis,

Hard Hearted Alice is understandably a big favourite with the fans. Lyrically and musically it's superb. I remember you saying in your book that it was one of the songs that made you believe the Muscle of Love album was going to do well.

Could you share any memories of how the song came together with us?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Hard Hearted Alice

Post by Dreary » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:10 am

Michael brought the song in and we were all very careful about capturing the forlorn feel of the intro and first verse, which seemed to reflect how we were all feeling at that time. I got gutsy on the second verse with the bass line. And when the song did kick in for Bob Dolan's organ break and then the lead exchanges, it was a big rush, especially on stage where the chords got more powerful. We also spent lots of time getting the ending just right with the slowing tempo.
Michael's lyrics were great and Alice made them even greater.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 am

Dreary wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:10 am
Michael brought the song in and we were all very careful about capturing the forlorn feel of the intro and first verse, which seemed to reflect how we were all feeling at that time. I got gutsy on the second verse with the bass line. And when the song did kick in for Bob Dolan's organ break and then the lead exchanges, it was a big rush, especially on stage where the chords got more powerful. We also spent lots of time getting the ending just right with the slowing tempo.
Also, chosen for the "B Side" of "Teenage Lament '74" in the US.
As a 14 yr. old then I became a Alice Cooper fan also!
One of my favorite tracks on the Lp for it's nostalgic styling! Muscle Of Love was a Bday present from Grandma late in '74 & did the "deep dive" later! I think I may have bought B$B & db's "Diamond Dog's" in consecutive weeks because my "Fast Food" job left me about $5 to spare per payday! I still had to pay to put gas in the car or ride my bike! So Sorry to not have seen the ACG perform "Live". :( My parent's didn't allow a "Rock Concert" until I was 16 & even then I had to find a ride. Luckily, found a ride in "76" to the Cap Centre for Kiss & Bob Seger opening.
This is the good part. Kiss promoted little known band's as their opening acts!
(Not to you Dennis I'm sure) ;)
They had no fear that their "Show" could blow whatever their opening bands antics had out of the Arena! Sorry to say that as I was much impressed by Kiss & their show but, Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band blew them off the stage! Musically, that is. Seger had just released "Night Move's" & was getting airplay for "Live Bullet". The band opened with "R'n'R Never Forgets" & performed a most impressive set.
Did you have any contact with Seger during the mixing of "Live Bullet" or the delay with "Night Moves" that may have impacted his decision to release the Cobo Hall set?
Thanks for the memories Dennis!
P.S. The next year I saw Kiss w/AC/DC while Bon Scott was still alive! Did you ever meet the band or BS?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:39 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 am
Dreary wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:10 am
Also, chosen for the "B Side" of "Teenage Lament '74" in the US.
As a 14 yr. old then I became a Alice Cooper fan also!
One of my favorite tracks on the Lp for it's nostalgic styling! Muscle Of Love was a Bday present from Grandma late in '74 & did the "deep dive" later! I think I may have bought B$B & db's "Diamond Dog's" in consecutive weeks because my "Fast Food" job left me about $5 to spare per payday! I still had to pay to put gas in the car or ride my bike! So Sorry to not have seen the ACG perform "Live". :( My parent's didn't allow a "Rock Concert" until I was 16 & even then I had to find a ride. Luckily, found a ride in "76" to the Cap Centre for Kiss & Bob Seger opening.
This is the good part. Kiss promoted little known band's as their opening acts!
(Not to you Dennis I'm sure) ;)
They had no fear that their "Show" could blow whatever their opening bands antics had out of the Arena! Sorry to say that as I was much impressed by Kiss & their show but, Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band blew them off the stage! Musically, that is. Seger had just released "Night Move's" & was getting airplay for "Live Bullet". The band opened with "R'n'R Never Forgets" & performed a most impressive set.
Did you have any contact with Seger during the mixing of "Live Bullet" or the delay with "Night Moves" that may have impacted his decision to release the Cobo Hall set?
Thanks for the memories Dennis!
P.S. The next year I saw Kiss w/AC/DC while Bon Scott was still alive! Did you ever meet the band or BS?
Other than doing festivals with Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band, I never met them. I haven't met any of the AC/DC guys either, although Brian Johnson sings on the version of School's Out that Neal and I played on for the Hollywood Vampires album. As for Night Moves, check out the 80's Reunion thread here in the Secret Dungeon.